Thread: Anyone try to fix a broken HDMI port? Should I try?

Anyone try to fix a broken HDMI port? Should I try?

Hello-

I found no cases of the term "hdmi" in the entire "Broken Tivo" forum, so maybe I am the first to talk about this here. As many of you know, the HD Tivo (HR10-250 Series 2 DirecTivo) has a big problem with failing or DOA HDMI connectors/outputs. The latest software upgrade, 3.1.5f was intended to fix software issues with some HDMI displays but of course did nothing for the hardware problem. There appears to be at least one company that will repair the HDMI output, and they also guarantee that it won't break again, so apparently it can be truly fixed. What I would like to know is if anyone here on Deal Database has tried to fix one of these, or if maybe I should be the first? At the moment, I may have access to a broken and a presumed-good HDMI on two HD Tivos, so I could try a few things especially if I had any pointers from others who have already looked at the problem. Not surprisingly, the company that can fix them (for about US$100) will not discuss how they do their work. I am a service technician with many years of experience including SMT boards.

Any comments?

A lot of the reports I've read about the HDMI issue seems to point to an improperly seated HDMI connector daughter card. I'd try reseating the connector board before doing anything else. I believe DTV had an exchange program set up if anyone reported problems with the HDMI connector so you might want to try contacting their tech support to see what they'll do for you.

I have the monthly service contract for all of my receivers and DTivos so if anything goes wrong they'll replace it for free. I figured it was cheap insurance considering what I paid for the HR10-250's. I've already had a S2 DTivo replaced under the contract when one of my DSR-704's decided to go bonkers on me.
    Last edited by captain_video; 06-17-2005 at 10:25 AM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks for the reply, captain. One of the reasons I have access to two HD Tivos right now is that I received a good replacement from DirecTV. I have read about the daughter boards as you described, but at least one report I saw said that the daughter board can actually go bad (I don't remember if it was a DOA one, or one that had started out good). The reporter said he could swap daughter boards between two Tivos and the problem was on the board itself. I would like to find out if it is something simple like the fuse that can blow if the front-panel ribbon is left loose when a DirecTivo is powered up.

I bought an HR10-250 for 200 bucks and it didnt come with the HDMI card or hard drive. I already purchased two 400GB drives but I cant seem to find a place that will sell the HDMI card. Does anyone know where I can purchase this?

Quote Originally Posted by newtivo4me
    I bought an HR10-250 for 200 bucks and it didnt come with the HDMI card or hard drive. I already purchased two 400GB drives but I cant seem to find a place that will sell the HDMI card. Does anyone know where I can purchase this?
    Wow. Are you sure it was cheaper than getting a new one?

You can purchase a new HR10-250 for around $650 bucks.

Considering your purchase of $200 for the unit and two 400GB drives ($450 perhaps), you already have the cost of the new unit.

Not taking into account you still have NO HDMI card, and it's a used unit (and perhaps has some other thing missing or damaged).

Yes, it would have been cheaper to buy a new reciever. But if I would have bought a new reciever it would have come with just 1 250mb drive.

I bought this broken one considerably cheaper and upgraded it to 800mb (2 X 400mb drives).

It would have been more expensive to buy a new reciever and upgrade to 800mb than get this one without a hard drive.

I just hope I can ge an HDMI card for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by newtivo4me
    Yes, it would have been cheaper to buy a new reciever. But if I would have bought a new reciever it would have come with just 1 250mb drive.
    Hopefully (like I said), that the only thing wrong with it. If it has been canibalized like that (no HD, no HDMI's), there must have been a good reason...

Good luck.

Got Lucky,

Well I installed the Hard Drives and setup the reciever. Everything seems to be working properly. The only problem is the missing HDMI. Iam using the component cables now and High def channels work fine. Modem work great. It record.

It does everthing it supposed to do except for the HDMI card.

Does anyone know where I can get one. Bueller, Bueller????

There is an outfit that repairs them-maybe they can sell you one. I do not remember the site's name, though. I still would like to fix one myself...