Thread: upgrade hdd's from 160's to 300's

upgrade hdd's from 160's to 300's

I currently have a dsr704 hacked to 6.2 on 2x160 Gb Hdd. I want to move everything from those Hdd's to two 300 Gb Hdd's.

How do I do that while saving all info including the showings? I don't care how long it will take to do the process.

Any help on the matter would be nice and appreciated.

See Jamie's thread on the process here.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

If it was ME doing it, I would transfer all the shows you wanted to keep to one of the 300GB drives (two 160GB drives, assuming you're using an lba48 kernel, is 320GB total, so unless your drives are full and there's absolutely nothing you can delete, this should be doable). If you have a spare Series2 TiVo, then even better! You could just transfer all the shows using MRV instead of mfs_ftp, less hassle, plus the shows will group correctly (unless this has been addressed in a newer version of mfs_ftp than what I have). Do you have TWP running? Go to the season passes screen, print that out. Now get the other 300GB drive hacked and ready to go (do make sure you use a linux cd with lba48 support). Once it's ready, boot up your TiVo and move all your shows back (I highly suggest you enable usb 2.0). Now, just marry the drives together, wait a day or two, and redo all your season passes.

That's the gist of it anyways. Sorry I didn't have time to do a complete step-by-step. If you screw up anywhere, just pop back in the two 160GB drives you had in before, and try again! Do NOT wipe those drives until all your shows have been transferred over, you have both drives married and the system information screen verifies that it sees the full capacity, and you've been running the new setup for a set period of time (the longer the better, but at a minimum I'd give it a week).

So what is this...

To Plain Bill,

I read the suggested info on hte mfsbackup|mfsrestore instructions, but my knowledge of linux is rather limiting; or the command stated in the instructions. So, can you suggest a web sight with the info needed to learn on this further?

Quote Originally Posted by rusalka_tim
    To Plain Bill,

I read the suggested info on hte mfsbackup|mfsrestore instructions, but my knowledge of linux is rather limiting; or the command stated in the instructions. So, can you suggest a web sight with the info needed to learn on this further?
    Sorry, I don't have links in my 'cheat sheet' for these, but it's easy to find the information. Google 'Hinsdale how to'; it has an unreasonable large amount of information. Also try searching this site for 'mfstools commands'.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Tried the pipe command and...

Well,
    I tried the mfsbackup and mfsrestore pipe commands from the two 160 Gb Dtivo drives using the minimize image option to a single 300 GB Hdd. From there I did mfsadd for the second Hdd. Also the computer was booted off of a lba48 cd.

Now all I get is the Tivo rebooting constantly.

Any suggestions on building a raw set of 300 Gb Hdd for my dsr704? Complete with lba48 and 6.2 software. I have a virgin image of a 40 Gb Hdd with 6.2 software on it if that will help in this.
    Last edited by rusalka_tim; 07-23-2005 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rusalka_tim
    Well,
    I tried the mfsbackup and mfsrestore pipe commands from the two 160 Gb Dtivo drives using the minimize image option to a single 300 GB Hdd. From there I did mfsadd for the second Hdd. Also the computer was booted off of a lba48 cd.

Now all I get is the Tivo rebooting constantly.

Any suggestions on building a raw set of 300 Gb Hdd for my dsr704? Complete with lba48 and 6.2 software. I have a virgin image of a 40 Gb Hdd with 6.2 software on it if that will help in this.
    There's an option that you need to pass to mfsrestore if the disk is large (like over 200GB) to create a workable MFS filesystem, "-r 4" if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbig
    There's an option that you need to pass to mfsrestore if the disk is large (like over 200GB) to create a workable MFS filesystem, "-r 4" if I recall correctly.
    the -r 4 switch is needed if making an mfs partition of (roughly) 270 gig using mfsadd (and possibly mfsretore). That would not be the case on the first drive, since the existing partitions are > 30 gig. I believe blesstivo does not have the problem.

I'm going to get back on my soapbox again. Troubleshooting 'won't boot' problems without either the kernel log or the serial console output is a waste of time. In general, I refuse to help someone who does not post adequate information.

PlainBill