Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: USB2 backport from 2.4.27 to 2.4.4/2.4.18/2.4.20 SUPPORT

USB2 backport from 2.4.27 to 2.4.4/2.4.18/2.4.20 SUPPORT

This is the support thread for the USB2 backport from 2.4.27 to 2.4.4/2.4.18/2.4.20. The files can be found in the development thread..

The support discussions seem to have become fragmented over multiple threads, so I thought a new thread with the appropriate title could pull all the conversations into one place.

Other relevant threads:
    Last edited by Jamie; 09-23-2005 at 11:36 AM. Reason: link to the top of the development thread.

New poster here.. I'm trying to get the most recent version of the backport to work with the Airlink ASOHOUSB on an HDRV2 w/ 6.2.

It starts up ok, and I assign a static ip in the rc.sysinit.author file. It actually works ok for a few minutes, and I am able to ping, telnet and ftp to it.

bash-2.02# ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:27 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:2970 dropped:27 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:5B:04:73:66
    inet addr:192.168.0.111 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:64 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:4473 dropped:41 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

After running for a few minutes, it dies. The IP address reverts to this and I can no longer reach it on the network.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:5B:04:73:66
    inet addr:169.254.51.198 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:17628 dropped:200 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

If I reissue the ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.111... from serial bash, it works again but only for a few minutes.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado
    Any ideas?
    Did you rename dhclient to keep it from running?

See section 3b) of this thread.

Copied and pasted from my posts in another (wrong) thread.
    I'm sure I'm missing something simple here...

Trying to set up an Airlink ASOHOUSB usb2 adapter to work with my philips DSR708 running 6.2. :

I backed up the original USB 'o' files, then transferred Jamie's newest ones (usbcore.o, usbnet.o and usb-ohci.o...I didn't transfer the dummy version of ehci because I didn't have the original in the modules directory) to my modules directory using filezilla (binary mode). Symlinked usbnet.o to ax8817x.o. Added vendor/product ID 0b95 7720 to /etc/hotplug/usb.map.

Created a test.conf file with:

/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o log2_irq_thresh=4
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usbnet.o
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usb-ohci.o

Rebooted and the Tivo sees the adapter:

Code:
    eth0: register usbnet usb-00:0d.2-1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet
    But I cannot connect to the tivo via telnet. Anyone with any idea what could be going on? I can certainly provide more info if needed. It seems like everything is OK, just missing one (maybe small) detail.

All was well before I changed over to the Airlink adapters. I was able to ping both ways and download using tytools, tivowebplus was working (somewhat), HMO and MRV both running fine (thank you, NutKase). I am using a Belkin F5d5050 adapter. It continues to work well if I restore the backups to the modules directory.

With the airlink adapter in there and everything set up as stated above, I am unable to ping to or from the Tivo. (But the link light is active, as some people before me stated with the GIG adapters). My network is set up to assign ip addresses using DHCP, which has worked fine for both Tivos in the past--and present with the 1.1 adapters installed.

Code:
    PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1): 56 data bytes
    ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
    There’s not much hurry for me. With the USB 1.1 adapters in there everything is fine. The adapters were only $4 this weekend at Frye's so it's not like I'm out major money. I'm also not sure the usb2 adapters will help my throughput. I'm running wireless-G access points from both my tivos and seem to limited to about .50 mbps. I may just lurk here like I have been since November and wait for the answers to be … revealed.

Thanks!
    Imagine what I could do with a Cowboy HatCam

Quote Originally Posted by wbgolden
    I'm sure I'm missing something simple here...
    You are at a point here where it is difficult to diagnose further without a serial console cable.

There are several possibilities that might be causing your problems and those of gpontis, described elsewhere:

1. 6.2 network configuration issues
      One way to eliminate this as a possibility is to boot up to a bare bash, with no tivo software running, and install and configure the device from the serial console. If that doesn't work either, then it probably isn't a 6.2 only issue.
    2. Link negotiation
      I really only tested with 1000 and 100 mbps switches. I didn't test half duplex on hubs. It's possible there is a problem negotiating the link type with the link partner. What are you connecting to?
    3. More than one hardware version.
      It could be that there is more than one version of this hardware, and the driver works with some (mine) but not others (yours). I think this is unlikely, but possible. The appears to be revision info in /proc/bus/usb/devices if you have usbdevfs mounted (mount -t usbdevfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb). My AGIGAUSB shows: Rev= 0.01.
    Last edited by Jamie; 06-27-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    You are at a point here where it is difficult to diagnose further without a serial console cable.
    I'll get the serial cable hooked up tonight and see what I can figure out. In the meantime, I'll use company time to figure out how to get to the bare bash you described. Also need to figure out how to stop TeraTerm from truncating all the info the Tivo sends to it during the boot process. All the important stuff gets cut off before I can copy and paste it.

Thanks Jamie

In the meantime, I'll use company time to figure out how to get to the bare bash you described.
    That's easy, assuming you already have the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel installed. Just move rc.sysinit out of the way and replace it with one that just runs bash on the serial. For example (untested):
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    export TIVO_ROOT=
    /bin/bash --login -i </dev/ttyS2 &>/dev/ttyS2

I'll get the serial cable hooked up tonight and see what I can figure out. In the meantime, I'll use company time to figure out how to get to the bare bash you described. Also need to figure out how to stop TeraTerm from truncating all the info the Tivo sends to it during the boot process. All the important stuff gets cut off before I can copy and paste it.

Thanks Jamie
    Turn on logging to save the whole session. (File..Log)

ew

{Moved from here to this thread as it seems a better fit.}

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff D
    Jamie is the log2_irq_thresh=4 setting the default on the latest and future releases too, or just the one in that single post in the dev thread?

I ask because I went through all the soapbox steps except for the insmod switch and I'm not seeing any speed increases (still 1.75MBps ((14mbps))) with using the new mfs_ files. I'm using an unpatched mfs_ftp as I ran into the patching problem.

BTW, does this mean anything? Things appear to be OK despite this, but it looks suspicious. I suspect the device is hooked up later on and not here in the startup:
    Code:

PCI: 00:0d.2 PCI cache line size set incorrectly (0 bytes) by BIOS/FW, correcting to 32 usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x2001/0x1a00) is not claimed by any active drive r. PokeFirewallPort: Poking hole through firewall at port 2190, protocol udp iptables: No chain/target/match by that name PokeFirewallPort: Poking hole through firewall at port 2190, protocol tcp iptables: No chain/target/match by that name using driver frame iter
    I've set the default log2_irq_thresh to 4. I expect it will stay there, but it might change again in the future if it looks advantageous.

The messages look normal. The only one unusual is the PCI cache line size message, but I've seen that before too though.

(DOH! Got mixed up on what thread I was posting to...)

Well, against what I thought would be true rebooting helped, the speeds are up to 18+Mbps. I'm above 2MBps so this is a huge improvement, but if I could get above 3MBps I'll try. I'm still looking for a different version of patch to use, I'm currently running AW's AIO package version. Off to that thread to follow up...

(DOH! Got mixed up on what thread I was posting to...)

Well, against what I thought would be true rebooting helped, the speeds are up to 18+Mbps. I'm above 2MBps so this is a huge improvement, but if I could get above 3MBps I'll try. I'm still looking for a different version of patch to use, I'm currently running AW's AIO package version. Off to that thread to follow up...
    My mfs_ftp patch only helps insertion speed, and it's still considered experimental, as Riley and others have indicated they've had problems with it. You won't see any extraction speedup using the patched mfs_ftp.

I've forgotten what hardware you have, but I know some folks with hdtivos have said that the 3MB/sec speeds aren't achievable on that hardware. I also know that the series 2.5's are slower.

More stupid questions...
    1) dlink adapter looking good, the transfer rates quoted above were for this adapter. The airlink adapter isn't so good, still around 1MBps. I've seen this:
    USB device 3 (vend/prod 0xb95/0x7720) is not claimed
    by any active driver.
    And comments about editing the iptables files for these vend/prod problems. How does one edit that file?

2)These adapters should be hotswappable, right? The only way I can get the airlink adapter to work is by rmmod the driver files and re insmod the drivers. Other than that the adapater stay inactive, the tivo does show the line above about unclaimed device.

What can I do to get this working correctly?

More stupid questions...
    1) dlink adapter looking good, the transfer rates quoted above were for this adapter. The airlink adapter isn't so good, still around 1MBps. I've seen this:

And comments about editing the iptables files for these vend/prod problems. How does one edit that file?
    iptables is the low level linux firewall mechanism. I don't think that's what you mean. Perhaps /etc/hotplug/usb.map? I haven't messed with that file, but I believe it maps vendor/product id's to driver module names.
    2)These adapters should be hotswappable, right? The only way I can get the airlink adapter to work is by rmmod the driver files and re insmod the drivers. Other than that the adapater stay inactive, the tivo does show the line above about unclaimed device.
    It sounds to me like you have the wrong usbnet module loaded initially if it doesn't recognize that vendor/product id. Older usbnet modules won't recognize that device (and you'll get that message). Only the latest usbnet.o knows about it.
    What can I do to get this working correctly?
    I do all my usb module loading myself, before running the tivo rc.sysinit. That seems to work well for me with 7.1b. At some point I'll probably explore the hotplug stuff to see if I can get hot swapping to work with the new devices, but it isn't that high on my priority list. Maybe someone else will get to it first.

Did you rename dhclient to keep it from running?
    That was it. Thanks!

That's easy, assuming you already have the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel installed. Just move rc.sysinit out of the way and replace it with one that just runs bash on the serial. For example (untested):
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    export TIVO_ROOT=
    /bin/bash --login -i </dev/ttyS2 &>/dev/ttyS2
    and...
    Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    Turn on logging to save the whole session. (File..Log)

ew
    Thanks to both of you. I will get those things ready to go and see what happens. Will post any solutions and/or other stuff if I find anything.

wbg