Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: USB2 backport from 2.4.27 to 2.4.4/2.4.18/2.4.20 SUPPORT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

USB2 backport from 2.4.27 to 2.4.4/2.4.18/2.4.20 SUPPORT

This is the support thread for the USB2 backport from 2.4.27 to 2.4.4/2.4.18/2.4.20. The files can be found in the development thread..

The support discussions seem to have become fragmented over multiple threads, so I thought a new thread with the appropriate title could pull all the conversations into one place.

Other relevant threads:
    Last edited by Jamie; 09-23-2005 at 11:36 AM. Reason: link to the top of the development thread.

New poster here.. I'm trying to get the most recent version of the backport to work with the Airlink ASOHOUSB on an HDRV2 w/ 6.2.

It starts up ok, and I assign a static ip in the rc.sysinit.author file. It actually works ok for a few minutes, and I am able to ping, telnet and ftp to it.

bash-2.02# ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:27 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:2970 dropped:27 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:5B:04:73:66
    inet addr:192.168.0.111 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:64 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:4473 dropped:41 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

After running for a few minutes, it dies. The IP address reverts to this and I can no longer reach it on the network.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:5B:04:73:66
    inet addr:169.254.51.198 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
    RX packets:240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:17628 dropped:200 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

If I reissue the ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.111... from serial bash, it works again but only for a few minutes.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado
    Any ideas?
    Did you rename dhclient to keep it from running?

See section 3b) of this thread.

Copied and pasted from my posts in another (wrong) thread.
    I'm sure I'm missing something simple here...

Trying to set up an Airlink ASOHOUSB usb2 adapter to work with my philips DSR708 running 6.2. :

I backed up the original USB 'o' files, then transferred Jamie's newest ones (usbcore.o, usbnet.o and usb-ohci.o...I didn't transfer the dummy version of ehci because I didn't have the original in the modules directory) to my modules directory using filezilla (binary mode). Symlinked usbnet.o to ax8817x.o. Added vendor/product ID 0b95 7720 to /etc/hotplug/usb.map.

Created a test.conf file with:

/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o log2_irq_thresh=4
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usbnet.o
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usb-ohci.o

Rebooted and the Tivo sees the adapter:

Code:
    eth0: register usbnet usb-00:0d.2-1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet
    But I cannot connect to the tivo via telnet. Anyone with any idea what could be going on? I can certainly provide more info if needed. It seems like everything is OK, just missing one (maybe small) detail.

All was well before I changed over to the Airlink adapters. I was able to ping both ways and download using tytools, tivowebplus was working (somewhat), HMO and MRV both running fine (thank you, NutKase). I am using a Belkin F5d5050 adapter. It continues to work well if I restore the backups to the modules directory.

With the airlink adapter in there and everything set up as stated above, I am unable to ping to or from the Tivo. (But the link light is active, as some people before me stated with the GIG adapters). My network is set up to assign ip addresses using DHCP, which has worked fine for both Tivos in the past--and present with the 1.1 adapters installed.

Code:
    PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1): 56 data bytes
    ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
    There’s not much hurry for me. With the USB 1.1 adapters in there everything is fine. The adapters were only $4 this weekend at Frye's so it's not like I'm out major money. I'm also not sure the usb2 adapters will help my throughput. I'm running wireless-G access points from both my tivos and seem to limited to about .50 mbps. I may just lurk here like I have been since November and wait for the answers to be … revealed.

Thanks!
    Imagine what I could do with a Cowboy HatCam

Quote Originally Posted by wbgolden
    I'm sure I'm missing something simple here...
    You are at a point here where it is difficult to diagnose further without a serial console cable.

There are several possibilities that might be causing your problems and those of gpontis, described elsewhere:

1. 6.2 network configuration issues
      One way to eliminate this as a possibility is to boot up to a bare bash, with no tivo software running, and install and configure the device from the serial console. If that doesn't work either, then it probably isn't a 6.2 only issue.
    2. Link negotiation
      I really only tested with 1000 and 100 mbps switches. I didn't test half duplex on hubs. It's possible there is a problem negotiating the link type with the link partner. What are you connecting to?
    3. More than one hardware version.
      It could be that there is more than one version of this hardware, and the driver works with some (mine) but not others (yours). I think this is unlikely, but possible. The appears to be revision info in /proc/bus/usb/devices if you have usbdevfs mounted (mount -t usbdevfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb). My AGIGAUSB shows: Rev= 0.01.
    Last edited by Jamie; 06-27-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    You are at a point here where it is difficult to diagnose further without a serial console cable.
    I'll get the serial cable hooked up tonight and see what I can figure out. In the meantime, I'll use company time to figure out how to get to the bare bash you described. Also need to figure out how to stop TeraTerm from truncating all the info the Tivo sends to it during the boot process. All the important stuff gets cut off before I can copy and paste it.

Thanks Jamie

There are several possibilities that might be causing your problems and those of gpontis, described elsewhere:

6.2 network configuration issues
    One way to eliminate this as a possibility is to boot up to a bare bash, with no tivo software running, and install and configure the device from the serial console. If that doesn't work either, then it probably isn't a 6.2 only issue.
    Serial console is all set up and working like a champ (man, I'm really glad I finally took this step...). I got to the bare bash and insmod'ed the drivers. Then I was unsure of what to do, so I set the rc.sysinit file back the way it was before. Thought I probably needed to set up network configs but wasn't really sure (or confident) in what to do.

Link negotiation
    I really only tested with 1000 and 100 mbps switches. I didn't test half duplex on hubs. It's possible there is a problem negotiating the link type with the link partner. What are you connecting to?
    Belkin Wireless-G router. Symptoms are the same whether I connect wirelessly or wired.
    More than one hardware version.
    It could be that there is more than one version of this hardware, and the driver works with some (mine) but not others (yours). I think this is unlikely, but possible. The appears to be revision info in /proc/bus/usb/devices if you have usbdevfs mounted (mount -t usbdevfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb). My AGIGAUSB shows: Rev= 0.01.
    I cannot, for the life of me, get anything to come up when I try to open the devices file, so I can't tell what the version is. Again...I'm sure it's just something I am doing wrong.

I'm thinking that at this point, I need to bone up more on Linux commands. To tell the (brutal) truth, right now I feel like a total noob who's well-read on DDB (many months) but is still missing some really important aspects. Maybe I'm just better at lurking and waiting for answers...

Nonetheless, I have attached my boot log from the last reboot. Hey, at least I'm trying, right? There's a bunch of "Inode" alerts, but I figure I'll cross that bridge at another time.

[EDIT] I should note that reverting back to the original drivers works fine with a Hawking HUF11 or Belkin F5D5050 USB 1.1 adapter.
    Last edited by wbgolden; 06-29-2005 at 12:39 AM. Reason: added attachment

ehci-dummy?

I, too, got one of these Airlink ASOHOUSB usb2 adapters. ($5 at Fry's, who could resist?)
    I set up my /lib/modules by over-copying (after backing up the originals, of course!) all the backported obj's for 2.4.20 / Series 2 -- I have a Toshiba SD-H400.
    After edited the /etc/hotplug/usb.map, and added a sym link from ax8817x.o to usbnet.o -- everything works! Thanks for the objs!

Anyway, I'm not understanding what is the significance of the ehci-dummy.o file? My originaly /libs have a ehci-hcd.o (which is still there).

Should i be deleting the original ehci-hcd.o?

The airlink adapter appears to be working off of the usb-ohci.o driver -- is that right? I thought since my new adapter was USB 2.0 it would be working off of ehci?

Quote Originally Posted by ebeighe
    I, too, got one of these Airlink ASOHOUSB usb2 adapters. ($5 at Fry's, who could resist?)
    I set up my /lib/modules by over-copying (after backing up the originals, of course!) all the backported obj's for 2.4.20 / Series 2 -- I have a Toshiba SD-H400.
    After edited the /etc/hotplug/usb.map, and added a sym link from ax8817x.o to usbnet.o -- everything works! Thanks for the objs!

Anyway, I'm not understanding what is the significance of the ehci-dummy.o file? My originaly /libs have a ehci-hcd.o (which is still there).

Should i be deleting the original ehci-hcd.o?

The airlink adapter appears to be working off of the usb-ohci.o driver -- is that right? I thought since my new adapter was USB 2.0 it would be working off of ehci?
    The backport usbcore.o module includes the ehci functionality. You don't want to load ehci-hcd.o too. I'm not quite sure what would happen, but I don't recommened it. Since some versions of the tivo software will try to load ehci-hcd.o for you, the intent of ehci-dummy.o was to provide a replacement ehci-hcd.o that would do no harm if loaded. See post #15 from ADH in the devel thread. Also search for ehci-dummy in the README.

I think the safest thing to do is to delete the tivo supplied ehci-hcd.o and link ehci-dummy.o to ehci-hcd.o. OTOH, if it's working as is, maybe all is ok.

Did you rename dhclient to keep it from running?
    That was it. Thanks!

USB2 drivers not increasing xfer speeds

Trying to update a Hughes HDVR2 6.2 system to USB2 drivers
    Using the usbobj2.4.27-20050104.tar.bz2 (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/at...achmentid=4258) files. The transfer speed I get from either ftp or from tytools is ~600k which is what I was getting before switching drivers. I'm going through a 100mb belkin router which is connected to a 100mb switch and that is connected to my DirecTivo via a linksys USB200M.

Here's what I did: I backed up (moved) from /lib/modules ax8817x.o, usbcore.o, and usb-ohci.o. The ehci-hcd.o file was not in /lib/modules.
    Then, I copied in the following to /lib/modules:
    ./usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2/usbcore.o
    ./usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2/usb-ohci.o
    ./usb-2.4.27/obj/drivers/2.4.20/usbnet.o
    set symlink usbnet.o to ax8817x.o

Finally I restarted Tivo and afterwards I don't see any performance improvement.

Here's the ifconfig output if it helps:
    bash-2.02# ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10:60:85:A9:21
    inet addr:192.168.2.101 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    RX packets:2794 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:4765861 dropped:4248 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

Attaching the console boot log.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by jmrwiseguy; 06-28-2005 at 02:42 AM.

jmrwiseguy, not that I know what I'm talking about, but you didn't mention anything about the new mfs_ftp files. Did you update those too?

links are in the soapbox derby thread linked in post #1 of this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff D
    jmrwiseguy, not that I know what I'm talking about, but you didn't mention anything about the new mfs_ftp files. Did you update those too?

links are in the soapbox derby thread linked in post #1 of this topic.
    No, I only updated the files that Jamie listed in his original post. I did look at the soapbox derby thread but it looked like it was only for the mfs tools stuff. For now, I'm just using tivoftpd for doing ftp so I didn't think I would need to update the mfs stuff. Perhaps somebody can tell me otherwise.

However, in that soapbox derby post there was a mention of a usbcore.o loading tweak -- I'm not using that -- should I?

Also, I didn't do the vwait patch either because it was for 4.01b.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by jmrwiseguy
    No, I only updated the files that Jamie listed in his original post. I did look at the soapbox derby thread but it looked like it was only for the mfs tools stuff. For now, I'm just using tivoftpd for doing ftp so I didn't think I would need to update the mfs stuff. Perhaps somebody can tell me otherwise.

However, in that Soapbox derby post there was a mention of a usbcore.o loading tweak -- I'm not using that -- should I?

Also, I didn't do the vwait patch either because it was for 4.01b.
    The soapbox derby thread has a lot of good performance tuning tips and is probably a good place to continue to discuss "how do I get this to perform better?".

I always recommend getting some baseline bandwidth measurements with netperf before worring about application level performance. If you can't get good netperf numbers, you're unlikely to get good application performance.

As I mentioned earlier:
    There are three places where performance might be affected: the tivo, the PC, and in-between. You can elliminate the in-between as an issue by testing a direct point-to-point connection with a cross over cable.
    You might try a crossover cable to eliminate your switch and router devices as culprits in the slowdown. Yoiu might also want to look at the later versions of the drivers, which have some additional support for "pause frame" flow control. It might make a difference for you, depending on your switch and router.

mfs-utils (mfs_* tools) has an improved tserver (for tytool) and improved import/export utilities (for mfs_ftp). This can help your overall transfer performance since they reduce the cpu load on the tivo during a transfer. Once you have good base network performance, it makes sense to start looking for performance improvements on the application side.

I know that 7.1x doesn't have the vwait problem. I'm not sure, but I don't think 6.2 has it either. In general though, it makes sense to run top on the tivo and look for processes that are hogging cpu. Tivo network transfers are almost always cpu limited.
    Last edited by Jamie; 06-28-2005 at 03:25 PM.

I've followed the basic instructions to install the ubs2.0 drivers to my modules folder but I'm not getting much in the way of performance gain, at least nowhere near anyone else.

Basically all I have done is to delete the old, put in the new and symlink usbnet.o to ax8817x.0. I have not implemented the usbcore.o loading tweak: (insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o log2_irq_thresh=4) since I read on one of these threads that it is not required under 6.2

When I'm transferring from tivo to pc with mfs_ftp I get about 0.7MB/s and about half that going the other way. I have also installed the unified mfs_* utils. The speed I'm getting now is def. better than before under what I assume where usb1.1 drivers

My netperf numbers are pretty ordinary too.

Code:
    bash-2.02# netperf -H 192.168.100.110
    TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.100.110
    Recv   Send    Send
    Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed
    Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput
    bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/sec

8192  16384  16384    9.99       14.03

Netserver running on tivo
    C:\Documents and Settings\Ray\Desktop\netperf>netperf -H 192.168.100.103
    TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.100.103
    Recv   Send    Send
    Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed
    Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput
    bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/sec

87380   8192   8192    10.00       9.32
    The tivo gets it's IP from the router (reserved ip for the tivo's mac address) and there is also a switch in the circuit. I'm using a USB200M on the tivo.

The speed I'm getting is pretty ordinary.

Do I need to insmod all those drivers in a test.conf file as others are doing? Not sure exactly where to start to get a better result.
    DSR7000 6.2 x 2