Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: USB2 backport from 2.4.27 to 2.4.4/2.4.18/2.4.20 SUPPORT

Ok, forgive me in advance... this is going to be a big time newbie question, but I am a little confused.

I have Tivo software 4.01b running on a Series 2 Hughes DVR40. Linux Kernel version 2.4.18

I have a Xterrasys usb 2.0 to Fast Ethernet bridge using the ax8817x chipset.

I am trying to get better transfer speed (for FTP and tytool extraction) Currently I max out at around 600KB/s both ways.

It was my understanding I am possibly only running in USB 1.0 compatibility mode and I needed new drivers to get better transfers and USB 2.0 support.

I tried to use Jamies backport drivers (read through most of the support thread, and completely read the included README) but didn't really see the correct way to install these, or even if they will give me what I am looking for.

Looking at lsmod I see the following USB modules being loaded:

Module Size Used by Not tainted
    af_packet 11872 2
    ax8817x 11168 1
    usb-ohci 23936 0 (unused)
    usbcore 65552 0 [ax8817x usb-ohci]

In jamies package, under the directory for my kernel, I renamed the old version, and copied over the new versions of the following drivers: ehci-dummy.o, usb-ohci.o, usbcore.o, usbnet.o

I reloaded my tivo, and I am getting the same transfer speeds.

What exactly do I need to do to speed things up?

Quote Originally Posted by beestea
    What exactly do I need to do to speed things up?
    Did you symlink usbnet.o to ax8817x.o? Older Tivo versions (those with kernel 2.4.18 and below) expected the ax8817x driver, while newer ones expect usbnet. Hence the symlink. Without the symlink you are still using the tivo ax8817x module.

A serial console log, or at least relevant lines from your /var/log/messages would be helpful to diagnose further if this doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Did you symlink usbnet.o to ax8817x.o? Older Tivo versions (those with kernel 2.4.18 and below) expected the ax8817x driver, while newer ones expect usbnet. Hence the symlink. Without the symlink you are still using the tivo ax8817x module.

A serial console log, or at least relevant lines from your /var/log/messages would be helpful to diagnose further if this doesn't help.

Woops. thanks man I actually found another thread showing I would need to do that before you replied. I just made those changes and I got one transfer through at around 940KB/s so definitely an improvement.

I am going to try some of the suggestions in the MFS
    Soapbox derby thread and see if I can get it a little better.

On a semi related note, what speed range do you guys suggest I should try to get before I can do painless MRV?

Quote Originally Posted by beestea
    I am going to try some of the suggestions in the MFS
    Soapbox derby thread and see if I can get it a little better.
    Good idea.

A couple of parting shots:
    • Is your tivo busy? e.g. is the load average > 1? The vwait problem in 4.x can cause this if you have tcl programs such as mfs_ftp and tivoweb/plus running that wait via vwait. The latest latest superpatch-4all from NutKase includes a vwait patch.
    • Are all your devices 100mbps or better? A 10mbps hub/switch/router will kill you. If in doubt, try a direct connect to a PC with nothing but a cable in between.
    • Maybe you should run 6.2 instead? It probably won't directly solve your network performance problems, but the UI is supposed to be faster.
    On a semi related note, what speed range do you guys suggest I should try to get before I can do painless MRV?
    What's painless? Faster than realtime? I would think you're already there.

Thanks for all of your answers...

The whole reason I was trying to get this patched under 4.01 was so that I can pull off programming I haven't watched yet in preparation for some maintenance and upgrading to 6.2

I didn't want to pull 50 gigs of stuff at 600KB/s or whatever I was getting before.

So far using tytools I am getting around 2.5MB/s which is just fine by me
    Last edited by beestea; 10-06-2005 at 09:31 PM.

What driver?

Can someone please tell me which drivers I need to insmod to get my WUSB11 v2.8 to load on my 3.1.5f'd HR10-250?

I also have an old Netgear MA101 Rev.B laying around, if anyone has had luck with that one.

I have been going nuts trying to find the answer.

Thanks
    Last edited by PiZmAn; 10-08-2005 at 08:26 PM.

I have 2 HDVR2's running 4.0.1b-02-2-240 with kernel version 2.4.18.

I am using the Linksys USB200m and the usb2 drivers work, but when i reboot i have to pull the usb adapter and replace it once the screen says "Almost there...a few minutes more......."

If i dont the usb drivers don't load. Any ideas?

I've loaded the 2.4.18 usb modules and my test.conf looks like this:

echo "Executing test.conf"

echo "Loading /lib/modules/usb2/usbcore.o"
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usb2/usbcore.o

echo "Loading /lib/modules/usb2/usb-ohci.o"
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usb2/usb-ohci.o

echo "Loading /lib/modules/usb2/ehci-hcd.o"
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usb2/ehci-hcd.o

echo "Loading /lib/modules/usb2/usbnet.o"
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usb2/usbnet.o

echo "test.conf finished"

Quote Originally Posted by jed5426
    I've loaded the 2.4.18 usb modules and my test.conf looks like this:
    There is no reason to load the modules yourself with 4.x and above. Let the tivo software load them. Just be sure you have symlink'd usbnet.o to ax8817x.o, since that's the module name the 4.x software expects.

so as long as I link usbnet.o to ax8817x.o, i dont need the test.conf?

so as long as I link usbnet.o to ax8817x.o, i dont need the test.conf?
    Right. On 4.x/5.x/7.x just setup your network configuration settings through the tivo UI. On 6.2, you can't get to the UI, which is a problem, but there is a tcl script that can set the required values in MFS.

Manually loading drivers is really only necessary with 3.x, AFAIK. The only exception may be if you are trying to use a device not supported by TiVo. Even then, if you update /etc/hotplug/usb.map, it might still work.
    Last edited by Jamie; 10-12-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Right. On 4.x/5.x/7.x just setup your network configuration settings through the tivo UI. On 6.2, you can't get to the UI, which is a problem, but there is a tcl script that can set the required values in MFS.

Manually loading drivers is really only necessary with 3.x, AFAIK. The only exception may be if you are trying to use a device not supported by TiVo. Even then, if you update /etc/hotplug/usb.map, it might still work.

So Jamie, I linked the files and removed test.conf and that sent the tivo into a loop. So I replaced it then with a serial terminal watch what the test.conf was doing with the usb adapter in and with the usb adapter out.

here is what it shows with the adapter in:

Executing test.conf
    Loading /lib/modules/usb2/usbcore.o
    usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    Loading /lib/modules/usb2/usb-ohci.o
    usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xb4000000, IRQ 5
    usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0d.0, PCI device
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    hub.c: USB hub found
    hub.c: 3 ports detected
    usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xb4001000, IRQ 3
    usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0d.1, PCI device 1033:0035
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
    hub.c: 2 ports detected
    hub.c: new USB device 00:0d.0-1, assigned address 2
    usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x77b/0x2226) is not claimed by any active driver
    Loading /lib/modules/usb2/ehci-hcd.o
    ehci_hcd 00:0d.2: PCI device 1033:00e0
    ehci_hcd 00:0d.2: irq 6, pci mem b4002000
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
    ehci_hcd 00:0d.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 0.95, driver 2003-Dec-29/2.4
    hub.c: 5 ports detected
    Loading /lib/modules/usb2/usbnet.o
    usb.c: registered new driver usbnet
    usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:0d.0-1 address 2
    usb0: register usbnet usb-00:0d.0-1, ASIX AX8817x USB 2.0 Ethernet
    test.conf finished

and here it is when i boot with the usb adapter out, then plug it in at the Almost there.... screen:

Executing test.conf
    Loading /lib/modules/usb2/usbcore.o
    usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    Loading /lib/modules/usb2/usb-ohci.o
    usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xb4000000, IRQ 5
    usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0d.0, PCI device
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    hub.c: 3 ports detected
    usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xb4001000, IRQ 3
    usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0d.1, PCI device 1033:0035
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
    hub.c: 2 ports detected
    Loading /lib/modules/usb2/ehci-hcd.o
    ehci_hcd 00:0d.2: PCI device 1033:00e0
    ehci_hcd 00:0d.2: irq 6, pci mem b4002000
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
    ehci_hcd 00:0d.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 0.95, driver 20
    hub.c: 5 ports detected
    Loading /lib/modules/usb2/usbnet.o
    usb.c: registered new driver usbnet
    test.conf finished

It looks like when its plugged in the usb adapter loads then unloads....
    thoughts?

It looks like when its plugged in the usb adapter loads then unloads....
    thoughts?
    The one thing that stands out is this:
    usb0: register usbnet usb-00:0d.0-1, ASIX AX8817x USB 2.0 Ethernet
    Note that the network interface is named usb0 rather than eth0. That's wrong. I think it is a timing problem. I suspect a sleep 1 right before loading usbnet.o would take care of that problem. The backport usbnet should never be using the usb0 interface name, so I don't think you are using the current backport drivers.

Again, you shouldn't need to load the drivers in test.conf. You should be debugging the reboot loop your getting when you remove the driver insmods. Your modules appear to be in the wrong place (/lib/modules/usb2 rather than /lib/modules.) The tivo software won't find them there and will load the modules in /lib/modules instead.
    Last edited by Jamie; 10-13-2005 at 10:08 AM.

I never tried to debug why, but when I installed a virgin 6.2 image and hacked it, I could not get transfer speeds above about 1MB/s unless I used the test.conf file, which puts me at 2.4MB/s. So for me, loading in the test.conf file made a difference. Note sure why. I used the latest drivers, without any parameters.

The one thing that stands out is this: Note that the network interface is named usb0 rather than eth0. That's wrong. I think it is a timing problem. I suspect a sleep 1 right before loading usbnet.o would take care of that problem.
    Jamie...sleep 1 did the trick thanks! I have been working this for months!

thanks again! now on to getting it to work without test.conf

I helped a friend hack his DVR40 and was going nuts trying to get netwoking going with a USB200mV2. After doing some debugging, I figured out that that the USB200mV2 was the problem, I replaced it with my USB200mV1 which was working in my system it worked. Does anyone else have a USB200mV2 that is working, I want to make sure it's not a blown unit.