Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the "good stuff"?

Where's the "good stuff"?

I've searched this, and other Tivo sites for days. This seems the most assBackward way to try and do anything, much less "inform" curious individuals on how to unlock potential for an electronic device.

Where can I find the information --> I want <-- on getting additional "functionality" (the grey stuff) out of my tivo. I've got a Phillips HDR212, and I've used InstantCake. Now what? Where's a useful sight to learn this stuff in an organized manner?

Half the links in the FAQ's don't work, I can't seem to find any working download links, what gives? I enjoyed hacking my Xbx much more than this.

Read the stickies, and the posts near the top of the forums,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeppowr
    Where can I find the information --> I want <--
    Should we know what you want?
    Now what
    Now enjoy your TiVo.
    HayreAss

I enjoyed hacking my Xbx much more than this.

We all started some where. If you can't figure it out stick to what enjoy the most. (hacking Xbx).
    Last edited by mrblack51; 06-29-2005 at 09:54 PM.

I was off-put by this at first, but what I've come to understand is that Tivo hacking is a much more heterogeneous environment than Xbox hacking. There's (essentially) only one Xbox, so it's easy to lay out all the information you need for it and that information doesn't change. For the Tivo, there are many different models with very significant differences, and also many different kernel/software versions to deal with. So there's a lot of information involved, and it's constantly changing.

It would be great if someone made it their full-time job to collect and organize everything that is known on Tivo hacking, but you can hardly be surprised that no one wants to do that. Even for the experts, this is merely a hobby. In the absence of a full-time organizer, the best that can be done is to aggregate the information in one, searchable place.

The information is all here; I found everything I needed without asking any questions. With patience you can find what you're looking for, but you do need to dedicate the time. I spent a week reading here before I understood clearly what to do.

If you still have questions once you've read things through, then ask! People here do want to help. It's just that their time is valuable too, and they want you to exercise due diligence on your own before you ask them to spend it.

?huh?

I understand that nobody is working full-time to make a walkthrough for me, I'm not asking for that. I also understand that there are hardware differences between models. This doesn't really seem any different than an Xbox, or PS2 (vast differences, very difficult to tell one type of unit from another at least w/ PS2). What gets me is how disorganized Tivo information is compared to the very helpful information I found when hacking an Xbox and PS2. The disorganization amazes me, the links don't work, people are fragging each other on the posts, and newbs are chastised for asking questions that simply cannot be effectively answered by the useless search function. I don't think that performing any upgrade or hack is difficult, but itís certainly hard to find a FAQ that communicates effectively and doesn't leave out something terribly important, and has WORKING LINKS!

I also understand Tivo Corporate has put pressure on websites to stop making certain mod programs available, as they use their proprietary code process. No diff from an Xbox here, and if Xbox-scene can figure out how to stay up on the internet, and have an organized file delivery system in effect on #xbins, why can't the Tivo community? I'm sure Microsoft Corporate is much more "powerful" than Tivo, so that's no excuse.

What I want to do is know how this Tivo thing works. I (as a hobbiest with some programming background) want to have full control over this thing, I want to decide how it receives its programming data, create my own, network it to my PC for file transferring, and feel like I've learned something useful in the process. The whole rest of the world (new users in UK included) have this sort of functionality; so don't lecture me about Tivo loyalty and value. If I wanted a straight-up "value" PVR, I'd have gone the Comcast route. If I wanted a TV tuner card in my PC I'd have gotten one, I want a little black box next to my TV that I can tweak to my content.

If it matters, I've been able to upgrade my HDD and gain network access to it. I hardly consider that to be a "hacked" tivo, and intend to continue searching for the information I desire. Maybe I'll even write a decent guide when I'm done. I was just hoping that someone could direct me to what I seem to be missing, a different website or something where "taboo" topics can be researched.

I would demand a refund!

off to the sewer we go...
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'

Good starting guide.

Good luck

Last edited by fernanc2; 06-29-2005 at 10:19 AM.

You could read here

http://www.alt.org/forum/

but I wouldn't advise posting until you have a better attidtude.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

... I want a little black box next to my TV that I can tweak to my content.
    you've got one, tivo is just a goofy lil *nix box. source is avail for the os, it's the proprietary pvr sw where lack of documentation makes things interesting

If it matters, I've been able to upgrade my HDD and gain network access to it. I hardly consider that to be a "hacked" tivo, and intend to continue searching for the information I desire. Maybe I'll even write a decent guide when I'm done.
    ah, but decent is very much in the eye of the beholder

I was just hoping that someone could direct me to what I seem to be missing, a different website or something where "taboo" topics can be researched.
    pretty much everything you want to know is here, even the verbotten topics - use tivoweb to explore pvr sw's mfs database and a dissasembler for the pvr sw itself

the xbox-verse is much larger so there are tons of karma-whores writing "i.d.i.o.t.s guide to <whatever>". sounds like you've had good luck finding that type info, I know many that haven't been so fortunate.

Thankyou

thanks for the info all, I'll work on gleaning it.

thanks for the info all, I'll work on gleaning it.
    You want a good start on what can be accomplished? Read all the posts by rc3105. I've seen some of the things he's posted and wondered how it could be possible (like hooking up a DVD carousel/burner for near-line storage). Read, read, read. Then explore.

ew

What gets me is how disorganized Tivo information is compared to the very helpful information I found when hacking an Xbox and PS2. The disorganization amazes me, the links don't work, people are fragging each other on the posts, and newbs are chastised for asking questions that simply cannot be effectively answered by the useless search function.
    However amazing this might sound, our goal is not necessarily to organize the information, rather to post it.

I also understand Tivo Corporate has put pressure on websites to stop making certain mod programs available, as they use their proprietary code process. No diff from an Xbox here, and if Xbox-scene can figure out how to stay up on the internet, and have an organized file delivery system in effect on #xbins, why can't the Tivo community?
    Uh, don't want to. How does this benefit us?

I'm sure Microsoft Corporate is much more "powerful" than Tivo, so that's no excuse.
    See above. Moreover, "Tivo Corporate" has done no such thing. What is limited by Tivo is the distribution of their stock images. What is limited by some developers is the redistribution of their own code, and more often then not nowadays, the ability to profiteer from the work of others.

What I want to do is know how this Tivo thing works. I (as a hobbiest with some programming background) want to have full control over this thing, I want to decide how it receives its programming data, create my own, network it to my PC for file transferring, and feel like I've learned something useful in the process.
    Terrific. Start reading EVERYTHING on this forum.

I hardly consider that to be a "hacked" tivo, and intend to continue searching for the information I desire.
    Hurray !!!!! Agreed on both counts.

Maybe I'll even write a decent guide when I'm done.
    Please don't.

I was just hoping that someone could direct me to what I seem to be missing, a different website or something where "taboo" topics can be researched.
    This is the ONLY Tivo forum of any consequence, and nothing is forbidden or taboo except for service theft and show sharing/swapping.

There are some great people/posters on this forum who are helpful and informative. Nearly every Tivo hacking problem I've ever had has already been solved by someone on this board and I've benefited from their experience and knowledge.

With that said, this is also the absolute worst forum as far as attitude I've ever come across. Some people seem to delight in ridiculing, taunting and humilating anybody who is not familiar with the various Tivo hacking processes, will not take the veritable days to search, read and digest all that is required to be an effective Tivo hacker or make the mistake of asking a 'dumb' question. In other forums, members typically ignore these types of questions or politely point noobs in the right direction. Here, these types of questions bring down the cumlative wrath of some very nasty people.

Do I care? Not really. When I need to find information on this forum, I search, read and ask questions only when I've exhausted all avenues. Mostly, I pity the people who must have nothing better to do than sit around and wait for the unsuspecting wannabe Tivo hacker to find this site and virtually step-in pooh by asking the wrong question. For these types of people, mastering their lives is obviously out of the question as so much time is spent mastering a virtual forum where anonymity and exaggerated pseudonym rule.

OK, off my soapbox and back to work.
    S2 SA 7.2/Killhdinitrd'ed/LBA-48 kernel/160GB HD
    Xbox/Xecuter chip/200GB HD/616T DVD/Crystal case

Thanks for that trowt, I guess I got a little worked up myself from all the searches I've done, and all the attitudes that Iíve seen some display, not to mention my own frustrations.

I'm not looking for service theft, but I'd like to supply my own alternate service. I'm sure Tivo does a great thing, but part of the allure for me is just figuring it all out. I'm not too familiar with Linux, but this is one of the reasons this interests me, as I always learn most productively when I'm applying it to a project like this. I can program in Java, so I'm sure I can figure it out.

I've been researching this Tivo stuff for several months now (weeks before and after I got my SA1 Phillips Tivo), and only recently actually installed the HDD and got it working (didn't have a phone line, working computer, and time all together before). I've checked this and a dozen other sites, researched TivoCanada, OzTivo, the Mexico-Howto, etc, and have seen other people all over the world doing what I want to, just can't get there myself.

One of the biggest problems I've run into is difficulty in finding software, and the negative attitudes I've run into in my searches. Maybe its part of the lingering elitist Tivo stigma that seems to hang on, despite the lowering equipment prices. Maybe its frustration inherent in working on these things (which seems unlikely to me), I don't know. I still think that the "Tivo community" could greatly benefit from an attitude adjustment from those who seem so annoyed at noobs (maybe more people could stand up for stupid questions? educators seem to appreciate the "no dumb q" theory, isnít this "collection" here to educate?), some localized database for the key software components (I've read uncountable requests for images, etc, from people who have already modded their units, and us neophytes cant find what we need either), and some improved and updated information (the vast majority of posts in my search are over 4 years old! Whereís the updated material?).

That being said, everyone who's offered their advice seems sincere and helpful, thank you for that. Now, as I said earlier, where's the "good stuff" so I can get this project working like I want (increased functionality)?

JJBliss:

What gives man? As an administrator, don't you have more of a supportive function by definition? You mention that "However amazing this might sound, our goal is not necessarily to organize the information, rather to post it." Doesn't sound like much of a goal to me. Can you elaborate how that benefits you (other than less work) or anyone else for that matter? It seems to me that disorganized information propagates confusion, redundancy, and inefficiency.

--"Uh, don't want to. How does this benefit us?": The so called "community" benefits from increased organization and access to ideas and utilities. Frustrations are lessened, "noob" questions that appear to piss off soo many people are less frequent when the information is easily accessible, and I would assume that those who put effort into sharing the information in the first place would take greater pride in their work.

--"Please don't": Someone needs to, can you do better?

--"Terrific. Start reading EVERYTHING on this forum.": Been there, done that, my point is that there's too much crap to sift through, and too little gold. There's no shortage of blasting people's questions, or broken links to "fixes" for specific problems. I can better spend my time reading useful information than reading EVERYTHING.

"This is the ONLY Tivo forum of any consequence, and nothing is forbidden or taboo except for service theft and show sharing/swapping." Well I'm glad on some points, especially the lack of taboo. But, you sound intirely too pompous about this site. Found OzTivo more informative, and organized. Actually, there are several other forums of consequence (tivoCanada, OzTivo, TivoGuide, etc.). Dude, get over yourself, YOU might benefit from doing a little extra study too.