Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where's the "good stuff"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeppowr
    JJBliss:

What gives man? As an administrator, don't you have more of a supportive function by definition?
    For those who choose to avail themselves of the forum as we conceived it, yes. For those who'd like to change it or criticize it, no.

You mention that "However amazing this might sound, our goal is not necessarily to organize the information, rather to post it." Doesn't sound like much of a goal to me.
    Since it isn't much of a goal, it is quite easy to meet.

Can you elaborate how that benefits you (other than less work) or anyone else for that matter? It seems to me that disorganized information propagates confusion, redundancy, and inefficiency.
    The information is rapidly changing and untameable. Herding cats comes to mind. The information is here if you read it. All of it. Honing one's search skills usually yield more fruitful results but it is probably better to set aside a few months, and really read all the information that is here in its various forms before jumping into the hobby.

That's the way it's done here at dealdatabase and it works for almost everyone despite the fact that there are a handful of folks who would like to change the way we do things here. Conversely, there are about 25 people who can do most of the things they want with their units without ANY help from anyone on this forum, and without sharing their knowledge. Meanwhile, there are thousands of folks who have hacked their Tivos successfully with the information found right here on the "disorganized" forum. How is it that thousands of folks can seem to glean the requisite information from all this supposed anarchy, but yet others can't? Maybe its a problem with the individuals and not the system.

--"Uh, don't want to. How does this benefit us?": The so called "community" benefits from increased organization and access to ideas and utilities.
    What "community"? The folks here (as alluded to above) are doing fine.

I would assume that those who put effort into sharing the information in the first place would take greater pride in their work.
    Still, not the goal. Most of the developers and visionaries in this hobby don't care much for glory and/or pride which is evidenced by most of the really really hot stuff remaining very very private. Most of the glory whores are ridiculed and shunned.

--"Please don't": Someone needs to, can you do better?
    Nobody needs to. In fact, it is a bad idea. I indeed cannot do better since it is a futile effort which has been proven time and time again to do more of a disservice then any good. Read through any thread with the word guide in it for examples.

--"Terrific. Start reading EVERYTHING on this forum.": Been there, done that,
    Doubtful. You have spent more time typing/complaining/criticizing and not enough time reading.

my point is that there's too much crap to sift through, and too little gold.
    That's a joke, right? And you say you've read? ALL the gold for your Tivo is HERE and nowhere else (unless you refer to topics such as show swapping or service theft). Everything you have heard about or think you can do with your Tivo has originated here, except for some base utilities from the original Tivo forums many years ago. Regarding home grown guide data, we believe that individuals who can support Tivo should. The folks from some other forums are not located in areas that Tivo will sell to.

I can better spend my time reading useful information than reading EVERYTHING.
    Then go do it. No one is stopping you. Unfortunately, that's what we do in this hobby. If you want to participate, then you'll need to.

But, you sound intirely too pompous about this site.
    Yup.

Found OzTivo more informative, and organized.
    Great. Enjoy it.

Actually, there are several other forums of consequence (tivoCanada, OzTivo, TivoGuide, etc.)
    None of the above are of any consequence unless you require any of the information I mentioned above. Your insignificant knowledge of what we do puts you in no position to judge the relative worth of any Tivo forum. If you mean that those forums are consequential to YOU, then that is more acceptable then making incorrect sweeping generalizations.

Dude, get over yourself, YOU might benefit from doing a little extra study too.
    How will that benefit dealdatabase? And, btw: Are you seriously telling me to do a little extra study?? Seriously?

For organizations sake: Moved to General Tivo Discussions
    Last edited by JJBliss; 06-28-2005 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    For organizations sake: Moved to General Tivo Discussions
    My favorite part of this whole thread.
    HayreAss

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeppowr

"This is the ONLY Tivo forum of any consequence, and nothing is forbidden or taboo except for service theft and show sharing/swapping." Well I'm glad on some points, especially the lack of taboo. But, you sound intirely too pompous about this site. Found OzTivo more informative, and organized. Actually, there are several other forums of consequence (tivoCanada, OzTivo, TivoGuide, etc.). Dude, get over yourself, YOU might benefit from doing a little extra study too.
    tivoCanada, OzTivo, etc probably wouldn't exit without DD, as almost every new significant piece of software, hack, workaround, or whatever that appears for Tivo's originates here.

Also, DD is a goldmine. Your "good stuff" is all around you, you just gotta dig a little.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    Most of the developers and visionaries in this hobby don't care much for glory and/or pride which is evidenced by most of the really really hot stuff remaining very very private.
    Oh, to be part of that crowd.

For some reason, that sentence brought to mind my Tivo saving the world ... I don't really know why. It's like it was talking to that big construct thing at the end of Matrix Revolutions.
    Imagine what I could do with a Cowboy HatCam

Hey,

I just realized that we forgot to mention some of the good books out there like Jeff Kegan's fine tome. It's <$20 and well worth the price. it's also even more relevant since the OP has a series 1. Even if you got a series 2 it's got a good TCL reference section that applies. My copy is dog-eared at this point.
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'

"Please don't": Someone needs to, can you do better?
    Walking on thin ice with that comment. Guides are for those that don't want to do their homework and take the time to learn. This is a hacking forum, not a "How To" seminar. The point's been beaten to death so I'll leave it at that.

The only "dumb" questions that will get you flamed are those that have been asked and answered countless times. Asking one just indicates how little research you've actually done and just paints a bullseye on your back. The search function is your best friend but it takes a bit of learning to figure out how to use it most effectively.

Organizing the data in this forum is a futile quest, albeit a noble one. Many have tried to organize the info here, myself included. Feel free to take a stab at it but don't be disappointed to learn that everything you've spent months putting together is seriously out of date. The stickys will provide you with about 90% of what you need to know anyway so start by reading the ones in the newbie forum and branch out from there.

Dead links are usually an indication that the data is out of date so you should probably forget about that post and/or thread and move on.

There are two things you need to have to get along here - patience and humility. You need patience because you'll get frustrated in a hurry if you don't. A lot of reading is required and your brain will probably go numb before you find everything you're looking for. You need humility because the major contributors are probably way smarter than you (I already know they're way smarter than me when it comes to Tivo hacking). Asking redundant questions and arguing with a mod will probably get you banned in the long run and probably won't help you solve your problem. Once you realize how things work here then everyone will get along just fine.

There are lots of good folks here that will bend over backwards to give you a helping hand if you show you're willing to do your share. Did I mention that all of the mods are heavy contributors to this hobby? They run the show and have the right to show you the door if you don't like it here. Just keep a cool head and don't be thin-skinned. You may not always like the answer you get to a post or the way in which it was provided but chances are good it will be the correct answer.

That being said, enjoy your stay at DDB!
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

ahhh...history....

Quote Originally Posted by mateom199
    tivoCanada, OzTivo, etc probably wouldn't exit without DD, as almost every new significant piece of software, hack, workaround, or whatever that appears for Tivo's originates here.
    Didn't one of the main guys(maybe more) at OzTivo have a hand in the origional tivonet design and write the first version of vserver?

picture a long table with all the chairs on one side... tridge in the middle with about six guys on his left, six guys on his right.... some are still with us, some now passed beyond the rim........

forget not the ancients, both here and passed, for theirs is the light that has shown the way.

now all we need is for rc3105 to show up in an encounter suit!

If you go to Z'ha'dum, MfsFtp will die.
    Last edited by Fugg; 07-16-2005 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    The only "dumb" questions that will get you flamed are those that have been asked and answered countless times.
    I concur! Especially when preface by "I've searched but I can't find...."

ew