Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VLC 0.8.2 vstream modules!

VLC 0.8.2 vstream modules!

The new VLC 0.8.2 is out, and ty stream support is built-in! Woohoo!!! We still need separate vstream modules, though, and this thread is for that. So far, I only have the Mac OS X plugin; I'm having trouble compiling VLC 0.8.2 on Linux, but hopefully it will be coming soon. And to quoth the maid: "I don't do Windows."

To install on Mac, you need to drop the plugin into the VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/modules folder. In Finder, right click (or CTRL-Click) on VLC and select "Show Package Contents", and drop the plugin into the afore-mentioned folder.

So, Mac users, enjoy!

- Stealth Dave

EDIT - For those of you having trouble viewing ty streams in 0.8.2, please try the attached ty plugin. It should be more up to date than the one included in 0.8.2.
    Last edited by stealthdave; 08-12-2005 at 06:48 PM. Reason: updated vstream module

I seem to be having problems with the new module for 0.8.2. When I make a selection from the playlist a black play window pops up and the audio plays for about a tenth of a second. The error message says "main: cannot pre fill buffer" and "vstream: net_Read failed. read 0 wanted 131072." Were you successful and getting streams to play with the new module you posted?

Quote Originally Posted by NoCalME
    I seem to be having problems with the new module for 0.8.2. When I make a selection from the playlist a black play window pops up and the audio plays for about a tenth of a second. The error message says "main: cannot pre fill buffer" and "vstream: net_Read failed. read 0 wanted 131072." Were you successful and getting streams to play with the new module you posted?
    Yes, I have successfully tested the new module on a G3 iBook running Panther and a G5 iMac running Tiger. The TiVo is an old Philips S1 running vserver 1.2. It was compiled on the G3 iBook.
    - Stealth Dave

Thanks Stealth Dave. I can now see my TiVo streams. But, alas... I can not play them. I can not even play local .ty files. I have an S2 TiVo and it looks like the libty_plugin.dylib bundled with VLC 0.8.2 only works with S1

I guess it's back to VLC 0.8.1 until some kind person who knows more about this stuff than I do ports the S2 libty_plugin.dylib to 0.8.2
    Ucvbn Bjfyuvs

DirecTiVo Hughes DVR40 -- 140 Hours (hacked)
    DirecTiVo Hughes HDVR2 -- 105 Hours (unhacked)

Quote Originally Posted by Ucvbn Bjfyuvs
    Thanks Stealth Dave. I can now see my TiVo streams. But, alas... I can not play them. I can not even play local .ty files. I have an S2 TiVo and it looks like the libty_plugin.dylib bundled with VLC 0.8.2 only works with S1
    I can't play local .ty files either. They seem to open, but only the time slider updates - there's no audio and video (no viewing window even appears). In fact, the time on the time slider increments in a screwy manner.

The vstream module doesn't work for me either - I know I've installed it correctly, but VLC says "don't know how to access tivo:// protocol" or something like that - I'm at work now.

I'm running it on OS X 10.4.1, using a UK Series 1 TiVo. Both modules worked fine for me in 0.8.1 so I'm not sure 0.8.2 how has screwed things up so badly. Rather disappointing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCalME
    I have the exact same problem. Using a S2 Tivo. vlc 0.8.1 still works.

Edit: Updated module works--thanks! I still have trouble with live streams though (did with the old version too). They load but then hang until I pause/resume it, then it hangs again after a few seconds. I upgraded my wireless router to 802.11g hoping that would help, but it's still not working really.
    Last edited by ReidWings; 07-06-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReidWings
    I have the exact same problem. Using a S2 Tivo. vlc 0.8.1 still works.
    Please try the updated ty module at the top of this thread. Just replace the exising one in Contents/MacOS/modules/.

- Stealth Dave

Quote Originally Posted by stealthdave
    Please try the updated ty module at the top of this thread. Just replace the exising one in Contents/MacOS/modules/.
    AWESOME Thank you, Stealth Dave!
    Ucvbn Bjfyuvs

DirecTiVo Hughes DVR40 -- 140 Hours (hacked)
    DirecTiVo Hughes HDVR2 -- 105 Hours (unhacked)

Windows / Linux binaries

Okay, sorry I'm late with these, but here's binaries for Windows and Intel Linux (FC3). They're compatible with VLC 0.8.2. Let me know if you have any problems. Pardon the ZIP format for the Linux binary, but it's all I can do at the moment.

I've also been working on the fast forward / rewind features, and have a version of that as well. It should be considered "beta"! I've tested it with all the streams I have and it seems to work OK, but I have NOT yet tested it with vstream. I'll post it in a few minutes. The source code will soon be in the sourceforge CVS repository if anyone wants it.

tx413

Building modules on a 64-bit system

As I expected, the linux binaries won't run on my FC4 x86_64 system. Once you've posted the source, I'll try to compile them myself. I remember that you once posted a set of instructions for building the modules from source, but I can't locate it now. Could you tell me where to find them? Because I wasn't able to compile vlc 0.82, a better approach for me would be to modify the freshrpms spec file to include the modules. Perhaps stealthdave could provide some guidance on how to accomplish that.

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by oakwcj
    As I expected, the linux binaries won't run on my FC4 x86_64 system. Once you've posted the source, I'll try to compile them myself. I remember that you once posted a set of instructions for building the modules from source, but I can't locate it now. Could you tell me where to find them? Because I wasn't able to compile vlc 0.82, a better approach for me would be to modify the freshrpms spec file to include the modules. Perhaps stealthdave could provide some guidance on how to accomplish that.

TIA.
    You can check out the source code from the CVS repository at http://tivo-vlc.sf.net. As for compiling, I have not yet successfully compiled VLC 0.8.2 on Linux. I'm running Ubuntu these days, and VLC just doesn't want to cooperate with it. Don't know why, it just doesn't. Don't know if there will be any architecture specific issues or not, but it's worth trying.
    - Stealth Dave

As Stealthdave mentioned, the source can be had at Sourceforge. A direct link to the CVS repository there is http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/tivo-vlc/. If you're going to use CVS to check them out, you might want to read how to do that here: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=134740.

And, since Sourceforge's CVS won't be updated until tomorrow, attached is the source for the latest demux module which includes support for skipping ahead and back. Note that this should be considered BETA as it has not been fully tested and still contains debug output.

I was able to build the libtyplugin module. VLC plays .ty files properly now.

I checked out the vstream module files from CVS, but I wasn't successful in building the plugin, probably because the VLC make process aborted fairly early, even after applying the freshrpms patches.

Using the source from today's vlc snapshot, I was able to get the make process far enough to generate the make files for vstream. [I used--disable-skins2 --disable-hal --with-fPIC].

Here is the output of the make process. Perhaps tx413 will be able to pinpoint the problem:

[joel@alcibiades vstream]$ make libvstream_plugin.so
    source='bitmap.c' object='libvstream_plugin_a-bitmap.o' libtool=no \
    depfile='.deps/libvstream_plugin_a-bitmap.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/libvstream_plugin_a-bitmap.TPo' \
    depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../../../autotools/depcomp \
    gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -DSYS_LINUX -I../../../include `top_builddir="../../.." ../../../vlc-config --cflags plugin vstream` -Wsign-compare -Wall -pipe -c -o libvstream_plugin_a-bitmap.o `test -f 'bitmap.c' || echo './'`bitmap.c
    bitmap.c: In function ‘vstream_bitmap_set’:
    bitmap.c:31: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
    source='crc.c' object='libvstream_plugin_a-crc.o' libtool=no \
    depfile='.deps/libvstream_plugin_a-crc.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/libvstream_plugin_a-crc.TPo' \
    gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -DSYS_LINUX -I../../../include `top_builddir="../../.." ../../../vlc-config --cflags plugin vstream` -Wsign-compare -Wall -pipe -c -o libvstream_plugin_a-crc.o `test -f 'crc.c' || echo './'`crc.c
    source='io.c' object='libvstream_plugin_a-io.o' libtool=no \
    depfile='.deps/libvstream_plugin_a-io.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/libvstream_plugin_a-io.TPo' \
    gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -DSYS_LINUX -I../../../include `top_builddir="../../.." ../../../vlc-config --cflags plugin vstream` -Wsign-compare -Wall -pipe -c -o libvstream_plugin_a-io.o `test -f 'io.c' || echo './'`io.c
    io.c:31:14: error: macro "net_Write" requires 5 arguments, but only 4 given
    io.c: In function ‘vserver_read_req’:
    io.c:30: error: ‘net_Write’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    io.c:30: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    io.c:30: error: for each function it appears in.)
    io.c:34: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 6 has type ‘long unsigned int’
    io.c: In function ‘mfs_vstream_read_sectors’:
    io.c:57: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
    io.c:57: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
    io.c:97:41: error: macro "net_Read" requires 6 arguments, but only 5 given
    io.c:96: error: ‘net_Read’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    io.c:99: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
    io.c:111:36: error: macro "net_Read" requires 6 arguments, but only 5 given
    io.c:113: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
    io.c:120: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
    make: *** [libvstream_plugin_a-io.o] Error 1

NOTE: FC4's compiler is gcc4. I see references here to gcc3. Could this be the source of the problem?

oakwcj -

The solution is easy (I think). There's a "#define" at the top of the source file for io.c and vstream.c for which version of VLC you're compiling for. You need to change it from:

#define VLC_V081 1

to

#define VLC_V081 0

The older version of VLC had different definitions for some of its function calls and therefore required the configuration.

As for gcc4, I don't think you'll have any problems if you're only compiling the modules. I think there are some issues with other parts of VLC. Their website has more info.

BTW, there's an updated tydemux module in the source tree with some fixes for the skipping forward / backward. Still not completely tested, but works well on everything I have.