Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S2DTIVO: Need Help Choosing between 4.x and 6.x

Hybrid View

Question S2DTIVO: Need Help Choosing between 4.x and 6.x

Equipment:
    Philips DSR 704 S2 DirecTivo - NOT HACKED
    250gb WD HD
    Linksys USB200M Ethernet Adapter
    Dlink DWL-G820 Wireless Gaming Adapter (Bridge)

Goal:
    Get the most out of my DirecTivo. I want to be able to have HMO with my Tivo, as well as Extract Shows and Control recording on my PC. Beyond that normal DTIVO functioning is fine.

Issue:
    I have spent hours reading the forums here, and I don't know which one to go with. They both seem to be able to do this, but I am not sure. Any opinions? I don't need any assistance with the technical part, just in deciding which path to go down. If I missed any previous threads please point me in the right direction.

Both software versions can do everything you want. I can't see any reason to go with 4.01, expecially since the menus are so much faster in 6.2. These tests illustrate exactly how fast. May want to start here.

There are two reasons beyond speed for why I prefer 6.2 over 4.0.

1. Closed captions are fixed so that the text is properly synchronized, instead of appearing too soon.

2. It's possible to get channel logos in the "Now Playing" list to work properly and to be managed through TivoWebPlus.

6.2 also has native LBA48 support so you can use your 250GB drive without a custom kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by stichnot
    2. It's possible to get channel logos in the "Now Playing" list to work properly and to be managed through TivoWebPlus.
    You also have both options on 6.2

Thanks alot for the direction!

Are you fond of the PTVupgrade Instantcake?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikemn

Yeah 6.2 is where its at.

If you can find a MFSTools 2.0 disc image use that. Personally, I like it best.
    HDVR2 w/120GB
    6.2 (Hacked, smacked and cracked)

PTVupgrade's Instantcake images are designed for TiVo (or DirecTiVo) owner whose hard drive has failed. They allow a barely computer literate person to restore an image to a drive and get back in operation.

I will not bad mouth a sponsor, but if you want to hack your DirecTiVo, buying one of their Instantcake images is a waste of money. It does NOT give you a hacked image. Both a minimal size 6.2 image and slices to upgrade an existing 3.1.1x or 4.x image are available on emule (get the client at www.emule-project.net). Frankly, someone who cannot figure out how to restore an image has no hope of hacking a DirecTiVo.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    PTVupgrade's Instantcake images are designed for TiVo (or DirecTiVo) owner whose hard drive has failed. They allow a barely computer literate person to restore an image to a drive and get back in operation.

I will not bad mouth a sponsor, but if you want to hack your DirecTiVo, buying one of their Instantcake images is a waste of money. It does NOT give you a hacked image. Both a minimal size 6.2 image and slices to upgrade an existing 3.1.1x or 4.x image are available on emule (get the client at www.emule-project.net). Frankly, someone who cannot figure out how to restore an image has no hope of hacking a DirecTiVo.

PlainBill

Not everyone has cable or dsl access. Maybe this is the reason they look for the ptv upgrade. I know I sure could not download from emule..With dial-up take forever..Anybody wants to send me copy on a cd then i would pay for it. Thats probably the only options some people have..

I Have high speed access, and am more than capable of piecing together that hack (I did so on my Series 1 DTIVO). However - The appeal of being lazy may just win

"If you can find a MFSTools 2.0 disc image use that. Personally, I like it best."

If your drive is larger than 120GB do not use the MFSTools 2.0 disc!!!! It is not LBA48 aware.

I found out the hard way. I used the MFSTools disc and now my 200GB drive only shows up as 128GB. I will have to backup and restore using an LBA48 aware boot diskt with mfstools on it....use the PTV disc.

Arg!!!!

I understand policy, but this bites.

My friend gave me his DSR704 (The one I am hacking) because he moved into an apartment alone, and didn't want to pay for service. I went to try to activate it last night, and they wouldn't do it. They said the RID is associated with another account that is suspended. So my buddy called up to release it, and they would do it for him because he wasn't the primary account holder. Now he is pissed because he bought the DirecTivo at Best Buy and set it up on her account, and they won't let him move it. The kicker is, he doesn't exactly know where is ex-roomate is to get the box released. DirecTV won't budge.

Any ideas?

Did you mean 'wouldn't'?

Write a letter (snail mail) to the friend's ex-roommate. The post office should have a forwarding address. Other ways to locate her are through her friends, place of work, parents, church, beauty salon, health club, car mechanic, etc.

Once you have found her, apply charm, liquor, flowers or chocolates to get her to call DirecTV.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Ya - we are working on locating her. I just think it is so stupid that they can hold equipment hostage like that, even though it is in my possession. I was hoping to be up and running tonight, but who knows.

Ya - we are working on locating her. I just think it is so stupid that they can hold equipment hostage like that, even though it is in my possession. I was hoping to be up and running tonight, but who knows.
    Yeah, but they don't know that you didn't steal it or something sinister.

ew