Thread: Need A dual drive DSR6000 image!

sirius Guest

Unhappy Need A dual drive DSR6000 image!

While I'm a bit new to Tivo... I'm an old hat at Linux and DTV. Somehow (not sure how) I've managed to make my Tivo not boot -- gets stuck at "Welcome... Powering up". Undoing all my hacks via Linux gets me nowhere, so I'm thinking the Kernel or Bootstrap images got corrupted. It is a from-the-factory dual drive setup (30GB and 15GB). Can someone send me, or send me a URL, a working backup so I can get back to TV! Or... tell me how to use the 40GB image I see on ftp.abs.net. Obviously, I'd LIKE to have a 2.0.1 image, but I'll take anything that will work at this point... I just want to watch TV!

BTW -- how would I have screwed up the boot by simply mounting in Linux and editing rc.sysinit for ppp via serial and occassionally deleting my logs? I'm shocked it stopped working -- I've been SOO careful (well, except for that whole make-a-backup thing!)

Email me with some help! jkeyte@telocity.com

Thanks.

Re: Need A dual drive DSR6000 image!

Originally posted by sirius
    BTW -- how would I have screwed up the boot by simply mounting in Linux and editing rc.sysinit for ppp via serial and occassionally deleting my logs? I'm shocked it stopped working -- I've been SOO careful (well, except for that whole make-a-backup thing!)
    ANY stray character or other typo inside the rc.sysinit file will cause it to halt at the bad instruction. What my be simpler is to just replace the rc.sysinit file with a virgin copy and start your hacks over. If your editor didn't make a usable backup of the file before you edited it let me know and I'll send you one. Probably a lot quicker fix than a full restore! (In fact, you should be able to simply turn-OFF the "imutable" bit on the files you've altered and the system will replace them with originals when you boot it back up -- I had to do this once myself!)

-Surgeon-

sirius Guest
    Perhaps you could send me a copy... I made a backup file before I started, and have since replaced my hacked up copy with this backup, but still no success.

Also -- if I just delete the file will the system replace it with the "original". Just curious. Otherwise, if I un-immutable it, will the system replace it BEFORE it reads it?

Thanks for your help.

Also -- if I just delete the file will the system replace it with the "original". Just curious. Otherwise, if I un-immutable it, will the system replace it BEFORE it reads it?
    Just remove the "imutable" setting and when Linux first loads it does a type of checksum to see what files have been altered, and replaces those that have. Try it and let me know if you still need the file or not...

-Surgeon-

An upload of a 2 drive DSR6000 is in progress. Should be done by morning.

Edit: Upload complete
    Last edited by Possum; 10-23-2001 at 04:11 AM.

sirius Guest
    Thanks Surgeon! Looks like I'm wearing the dunce cap... a ls -l showed the problem. My rc.sysinit did not execute permissions set... OOPS! chmod a+x rc.sysinit fixed the problem... now I'm watching TV again!

Still would like the 2.0.1 image... but that's an adventure for another day.

Thanks for the guidance!

BTW -- Is it possible to set up ppp over serial on 2.5? I'm anxious to get the dual-tuner update, but am afraid I'll lose the tcp/ip functionality. What is the current status on 2.5 anyway?

Thanks.

BTW -- Is it possible to set up ppp over serial on 2.5? I'm anxious to get the dual-tuner update, but am afraid I'll lose the tcp/ip functionality. What is the current status on 2.5 anyway?
    Best stick with what you've got for now, as 2.5 eliminates *ALL* coding hacks until a 'cure' can be found. Use the search feature on this board for more info...

Glad I was able to help...

-Surgeon-