Thread: Just spoke with Tivo

Thumbs down Just spoke with Tivo

I just wanted to share my experience with Tivo and their service. I have signed up for lifetime service (I believe in paying for this service). I have an internet business that ties up my phoneline with my computer so that my DirecTivo cannot call in. This isn't a problem with Directv as I can call in for the PPV that I want to watch. I don't want to bring down my computer system (where I will lose money for my business) to let the Tivo call in for the service that I have already paid for upfront. When I called Tivo, they didn't care and said that if the receiver doesn't call in, I can't get the service (for which I have already paid upfront for). My response to everyone out here is: HACK THE SHIT OUT OF TIVO. They deserve this. If they can't treat their customers with a little more respect, they deserve to lose as much service as possible. I was honest and paid upfront and still can't get the service. They expect me to lose money from my business so that my receiver can call in. That would equate to spending more than the original $249 for the lifetime subscription. They didn't want to budge on any idea that I had. I asked them why the receiver would need to call in if the guide was updated by the satellite. They responded with the comment that they wanted to make sure that my accounts were up to date. If Directv didn't have their payment, I'm sure my service would be discontinued. Why would Tivo even care about this? They got their money upfront. I still think that everyone should just hack this system and get what they could from them.

This is just my $.02 but this is coming from a person who paid for a lifetime sub that can't even use it legally.

Thanks,

JAFO

So, you run an internet business that uses a dialup internet connection? Sounds like a great business, would love to download content over your phone line.
    Anyway, you bought a device that requires a telephone line to use the service, what do you expect TiVo to do for you? Give you an exemption because you don't wan't to turn off your computer?
    TiVo probably don't care about whether or not your DirecTV account is in good standing, but I bet DirecTV does, and they have a pretty big say in what happens when it comes to DirecTivo.
    Also, because the data is all downloaded over the sat now, the phone call takes less than 5 minutes.

Your complaints seem sort of ridiculous...
    Last edited by el jefe; 10-22-2001 at 08:06 PM.

Sorry to burst your bubble but my internet business has nothing to do with downloading anything (files) except the web content which only explains my business. Besides, I pay both Directv and Tivo. I keep my Directv account up to date. If I was paying per month on my Tivo, yes, I would agree with you 100% that I would have to call in but if I pay once, what is the need for the daily, weekly, or bi-weekly call? Even the customer service rep (even manager) couldn't explain the reason for the call. They kept explaining that I need to download the guide (eventhough it is widely known that it comes down over the satellite). I have no problem with the service. This is why I paid for the lifetime service. I went with the Tivo b/c the salesperson explained that the call would not be necessary (even when I signed the DirecTivo up, Directv said it wasn't necessary). I like the features of Tivo but no one can give me a valid reason to dial in. Does big brother need to know what I'm watching? Hey, I don't ask for audits of their company why should they feel the need to know what I watch when I paid (UPFRONT) for this service. If I buy a car, do I have to bring it to the dealer once a month so they can find out how I was driving the car? You pay for a car and you only bring it in for service. The receiver doesn't need service. If I opt for Tivo not to download the log files, what is the need of the daily call? They even told me that there is no programming that could be sent to kill the nag message. I'm trying to do this the legal way. I'm also sorry that my ISP doesn't provide anything but dialup service here but then again we all can't live in those big cities. Well, to each his own. I was simply making a statement and giving my opinion. I'm not saying that you have to agree with me, just understand that I'm trying to be legal and even a legal customer gets nowhere.

Regards,

JAFO

As far as 'Big Brother'-
    you can opt out of sharing your viewing habits...

As far as losing money on the lifetime sub-
    You can always return the unit, right?

My DirecTiVo will never dial in, that's my toy-
    but my SA dials in nightly and I am very happy with both the service and the company as a whole.

Not trying to be rude or anything- but you should have done more reading before you plopped down all that money on a lifetime sub.

zeek

The obvious

WHat about just installing a 2nd phone line? Seems that would solve most of life's problems no? I pay $19/mt for unlimited local service with MCI..good for Tivo/Winfax/and fallback 56k inernet.

You must have a second phone line, no? Otherwise how do clients contact you? Cell phone?

Use that.

Or since you run an Internet Business, you must be smart enough to set up a PPP server and whatnot so you can let your TiVo "dial in" via your existing connection. Problem solved.

Ok Jafo, the reason the board is showing you no love is cause you touched on a very iffy subject. You actually "paid" for a lifetime sub, but becasue TiVo hasnt bent, you come on the board and start yelling HACK THE SHIT OUTTA TIVO....Hummm. Thats bad bad bad....yup, we may be hackers, we may be tivo hobbiest, but damit, WE LIKE TIVO Inc. They have been more than generous to us. By now this board would have been shut down with legal restraint if Tivo inc. was no so leinant (sp) on the underground community. So we hate it (well I hate it) when you guys come aborad, boast about your lifetime sub, and then ask how to hack it...it makes no sence. If you are a hacker, but a hacker, if you are a sub, then pay like the rest of them. Alot of ppl here do what we do cause we simply just love the thrill of the hunt (show of hands, who else here is waiting on DAVE to ecm HU's and see what the hackz come up with)...the rest are ppl from cross the waters who love to have a PtV but due to localization, they cant....so dont come here screaming Tivo support sux, so hack da TiVo...that mentality will get us shut down quick...

Now thats just my $.02

People,
    When I meant hack the Tivo, it was in regards to the dialing in. I paid for the lifetime service. I have no complaints with the cost. I just don't understand the need for the system to dial in if I'm not paying the month to month. Yes, I could setup a PPP and have the system dial in thru there but it is more or less a matter of principle. I pay for a lifetime service where I wouldn't think that I would need to dial in for no reason. I truely can't find a reason for the dial in. The only reason I'm mad at Tivo is b/c of the phone call for the service. If there is upgraded software, I agree with the phonecall but if I opt out of the recording of my viewing habits, I can't find a reason for the phonecall. The hacking thing only refers to the nag message. I still believe that if one likes the service, they should pay for it. Sorry if I came off a little aggitated but for Tivo not to give me a reason seems kinda funny. Makes me wonder if they do download your viewing habits eventhough you opt out. Sorry if I upset anyone here. Besides, my second line is my cell. My customers contact me via my cell. I also happen to travel quite a bit so that is the easiest way for someone to get a hold of me.

Thanks,

JAFO

Cool cool it

Jafo can express his feelings if he likes, we can talk about any subject here as long as it is related to TiVo. NO CENSORING HERE was the motto.

Stop naging Jafo on the why and how he has only one phone line. hell, he can have NONE as far as i'm concerned-)

Look at the question behind the complains: Why dial in with a lifetime sub? Seems to me a waist of time.

any reactions on that?

We all know were to start if we want to make this a better world, pm if you don't

Thanks Lure,
    You hit the nail on the head. I see no reason for the dail in if I already have the lifetime sub. Are they trying to catch people from cheating Directv? I think it is a lame attempt (but if they at least catch someone, I guess it was worth it). I would love to know the reason behind the call (if anyone knows). Once again, this is just my opinion.

JAFO