Thread: 3.1.1c to 6.2

3.1.1c to 6.2

I have a SD-DVR40 that is currently running 3.1.1c.2004.01.07-1001-01-2-351. I have been forcing calls daily to try to get it to upgrade naturally to 6.2. Since it has not upgraded yet I suspect something is wrong with this version that is preventing it from upgrading. I would perfer not to hack the thing until after it has upgraded and would like to know the least envasive way to determine what is going on that is keeping it from upgrading or to trigger an upgrade. The only mods that have been made to this box was a second weakness hard drive that was installed. I have a SD-DVR80 that has already upgraded and been modified to my liking.

Thanks

Read through the 6.2 upgrade thread. You'll find links to download the 6.2 slices via emule as well as the procedures and processes required to install them for a 6.2 upgrade without disturbing anything else on the Tivo. The thing is, you'll need to hack your 3.1.1 OS in order to get the files transferred. The good news is that the hacks will remain in effect after the upgrade, although you'll have to copy them over to the new set of partitions before you reboot in order to preserve them.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by Starranger
    I have a SD-DVR40 that is currently running 3.1.1c.2004.01.07-1001-01-2-351. I have been forcing calls daily to try to get it to upgrade naturally to 6.2. Since it has not upgraded yet I suspect something is wrong with this version that is preventing it from upgrading.
    Thanks
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that since your SD-DVR40 never received the updates to 3.1.1d and 3.1.1e, you're NOT going to get the update to 6.2 either. Forcing calls every day is obviously not working.

Follow other's advice and hack your 3.1.1c system using killinitrd. Then upgrade to 6.2 via the slice method. If you were up to hacking your system once it upgraded to 6.2, then you might as well go the 6.2 via slice method.

Thank you for the replies. I was relecutant to do anything drastic to this one since it was our first and has many recordings on it. Last time I looked through the 6.2 upgrade thread I could only find people who were upgrading from 4.1 or previously hacked boxes and was unable to find much information on what needed to be done to hack the 3.1.1 level system. Any searching assistance would be helpful.

Thanks again

Thank you for the replies. I was relecutant to do anything drastic to this one since it was our first and has many recordings on it. Last time I looked through the 6.2 upgrade thread I could only find people who were upgrading from 4.1 or previously hacked boxes and was unable to find much information on what needed to be done to hack the 3.1.1 level system. Any searching assistance would be helpful.

Thanks again
    Here's a couple of jumping off points. Read, follow the links, learn before doing, and work with an extra (not the original) drive until you're sure you can get it. You can start with a piped backup | restore to another (bigger?) drive and work on the restored drive.

Monte evolves in 2004 by rc3105.
    killhdinitrd and monte by Nutkase.

Happy Trails.

ew

Starranger,

I recently upgraded my Philips DSR704 (Series 2 DirecTivo) from 3.1.1c to 6.2. I did not lose any of my shows or season passes. I followed the walkthrough from this thread:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ght=6.2+3.1.1c

If you have any questions, I will be happy to try to answer them.

Dave

Thanks for your replies, I'm currently researching what I have to do to get 3.1.1c hacked and what level I should hack it before upgrading to 6.2. I'm leaning toward just getting serial bash to work and then determine if I want to install any hacks or just force the upgrade.

It still bugs me that the unit didn't upgrade and wonder if the long version number had anything to do with it.

It's not difficult to install 6.2 on a hacked 3.1.1 manually. Download the slices, dbload them, and then follow the instructions here:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42325

Yes, I know that installing 6.2 on a hacked dtivo is easy, where I'm uncertain is how exactly to hack the 3.1.1c version I have now. I would assume it is similar to the 6.2 hack. Change the bootpage and then coping over the correct killhdinitrd kernal (2.4.4 i think) and then making sure to atleast activated serial bash maybe try to get it on the network by getting the usb drivers to load.

Yes, I know that installing 6.2 on a hacked dtivo is easy, where I'm uncertain is how exactly to hack the 3.1.1c version I have now. I would assume it is similar to the 6.2 hack. Change the bootpage and then coping over the correct killhdinitrd kernal (2.4.4 i think) and then making sure to atleast activated serial bash maybe try to get it on the network by getting the usb drivers to load.
    You don't need to change the bootpage. Just but the proper killhdinitrd onto the boot partition (3 or 6) directly and add the rc.sysinit.author on the current root partition (4 or 7). You can add the usb drivers at the same time, and don't forget the enable the serial console in case you mess up and don't want to have to pull the drive again.

ew