Thread: Recommendations for hacking a DSR7000?

Recommendations for hacking a DSR7000?

I went through everything about a year ago, and successfully hacked my DSR7000 with an LBA48-patched killhdinitrd'ed 2.4.18 kernel running the 4.01 TiVo software. Everything's good and fine, except I only had USB1 drivers.

Now, I've laid my hands on another DSR7000. Revisiting the boards, I see a lot of stuff about 6.2 and 7.1. I've searched and tried to get the answers to my questions, but eventually gave up, and so now I break down and grovel before you:

Does 6.2 (or 7.1) contain USB2 drivers, or does the kernel need to be patched for them?
    Does 6.2 contain LBA48 support natively?
    Does 6.2 allow HMO?
    Does 6.2 allow killhdinitrd?

Thanks.

No, and No.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Apparently you didn't look too hard. All this (and more) is answered here and here.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Yes, I'd found the "DirecTV Tivo Software Update 6.2" link, but 53 pages of people having problems was a bit much for me. TheOnlyDruid's link is exactly what I needed -- thanks.

A good rule of thumb is to plan on reading through an entire thread and glean just the pertinent posts. I know it's a pain but unless you know the exact search terms to use there's not a lot else you can do. It's not all that hard to separate the wheat from the chaff when you get the hang of it. There are also certain individuals that usually post good info so if you see one of their posts it will probably be one you want to absorb. Usually anything posted by a mod, PlainBill, Alphawolf, rc3105, NutKase, and many others will be the ones you want to check out. Once you've been here a while you'll figure out who really knows what they're talking about. That's not to say that there aren't a lot of knowedgeable newbies here as well. You'll find many of them willing to share their experiences with the basic problems and fixes that usually crop up when you first start out. I like to add bookmarks to specific posts that contain the real meat in a thread, such as the post you're referring to. I also like to print out important tidbits and keep them all together in a folder for handy reference.
    Last edited by captain_video; 07-16-2005 at 10:35 AM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

The Only Druid's summary is certainly helpful if you know what all the steps mean. Certainly someone who hacked a system at 3.1.1c a year ago using killhdinitrd should have no problems skimming that thread, then upgrading to 6.2 and hacking it.

Sometimes it is important to learn HOW we got to that point, especially all the problems that were solved. The longer thread, especially the more recent posts, is useful for that.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.