Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless adapters for HR10-250

Wireless adapters for HR10-250

Right now I have a DSR-704 (running 4.x) and an HR10-250 (3.1.5) networked to my PC. I just bought another HR10-250 and want to add it to the network but running a CAT5 would be a major pain. I would primarily want it on the network to access TivoWeb Plus, and not for extraction. Since my router is wireless, is it possible to use a wireless USB adapter?

Thanks,

HUGE

Yes, but I believe Tivos only support the 802.11b wireless adapters right now.
    Last edited by captain_video; 07-18-2005 at 04:57 PM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    Yes, but I believe Tivos only support the 802.11b wireless adapters right now.

Would I need to install additional (different) drivers and change the rc.sysinit ?

HUGE

Or just get your self one of those gaming adapters and plug the wired adapter into it and Bob's your uncle

Quote Originally Posted by justmike
    Or just get your self one of those gaming adapters and plug the wired adapter into it and Bob's your uncle

Forgive me, but what goaming adadpters?

HUGE

It's a wireless bridge... apparently Linksys et al decided that people were too stupid to know what that means & just started calling them gaming adapters (and practically doubled the price on them, too).

FYI: BestBuy is selling WRT54G's for $69.99 with $30 in mail-in rebates right now. Makes the final price $39.99 + tax. Can be configured to act as a wireless bridge and has a built-in switch... much better/cheaper option than a straight wireless bridge. (And you can install linux on them, too!)

-psxboy
    Last edited by psxboy; 07-19-2005 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added WRT54G info
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy
    It's a wireless bridge... apparently Linksys et al decided that people were too stupid to know what that means & just started calling them gaming adapters (and practically doubled the price on them, too).

FYI: BestBuy is selling WRT54G's for $69.99 with $30 in mail-in rebates right now. Makes the final price $39.99 + tax. Can be configured to act as a wireless bridge and has a built-in switch... much better/cheaper option than a straight wireless bridge. (And you can install linux on them, too!)

-psxboy

The WRT54G is the router (the one I have actually). So do you mean a gaming adapter like the WGA54G

Then I would use the USB200 USB to ethernet adatper, plug it in to the gaming adapter and then thats it right?

HUGE

Quote Originally Posted by HUGE
    The WRT54G is the router (the one I have actually). So do you mean a gaming adapter like the WGA54G

Then I would use the USB200 USB to ethernet adatper, plug it in to the gaming adapter and then thats it right?

HUGE
    No, I mean buy a SECOND WRT54G and configure it to act as a wireless bridge (an option in the setup... called "Wireless Client Mode" or something like that). Then connect WIRED ethernet adapters to your Tivo(s) and plug them into the WRT54G's switch-port(s).

But basically, yeah... you could use the WGA54G, but then you'd need a switch/hub if you want to connect more than one Tivo (or other wired thing) to it, and it costs more than twice as much as the WRT54G.

-psxboy
    Last edited by psxboy; 07-19-2005 at 03:01 PM.
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

I suppose what we are trying to tell you is that there are a couple of ways to skin this cat ... the gaming type adapter is one and psxboy's point is valid in that you could purchase yet another 54G and make that do the wireless bridge function for you.

Your call

Mike

psxboy,

I am curious about the advantage of lynix on the 54G

More ...

Appears psxboy and I were in at the same time so hope you now have a better picture ... also if you have a Sam's Club card then you could bid on a 54G over at their auction site (auctions.samsclub.com) and who knows you might even get it cheeper then the price psxboy listed.
    Last edited by justmike; 07-19-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justmike
    psxboy,

I am curious about the advantage of lynix on the 54G
    Well, not that this is the right place for it... but hey, it's a newbie forum right? I've seen worse in here.

Anyway, you can configure the crap outta the WRTs with Linux: setup multiple v-lans, re-assign the Internet port to the LAN segment... & lots of other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Check out http://openwrt.org/ for all the details.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Cool & Thanks!

Since I am in management they never let me play with the toys at work any more so this is right up the old bit head in me alley.

MODS

Sorry if this was way too far off topic

Ok, so I get another 54g, set it up as a wireless bridge. Then hook up the USB to ethernet adatper to it (I have the netgear FA120) and I am good to go. Sounds nice. BTW for more info on the 54g check out http://www.linksysinfo.org/

HUGE

Got the WRT54G at Staples for $39 AR, and a USB adatper and after flashing the firmware I am in business. Thanks guys.

HUGE

Yet another satified customer!

I spoke too soon. I can ping from one Router 1 to Router 2 (and the other way), but I cannot ping from router 1 (using PC1) to the Tivo attached to router 2. When I hook my laptop up to router 2 (wired) and can ping the Tivo fine.

Here is the setup:

Router 1 (WRT54G)
    Firmware Version : v4.00.7 (Linksys official)
    IP : 192.168.1.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Wireless mode:mixed b +g (normal)
    Security: off (for now)
    Connected to the internet

Router 2 (WRT54G)
    Firmware version: Freeman 1.04
    IP: 192.168.1.3
    Wireless mode: client bridge
    Security: off (for now)
    Internet connection type set to "Disable"
    DHCP disabled
    Firewall protection is off

Tivo
    IP: 192.168.1.115

PC1
    IP: 192.168.1.97

To be clear, PC1 is wired to Router 1, Tivo is wired to Router 2. Router 1 and router 2 ARE NOT wired together (wireless only). PC1 can ping both router 1 and router 2. When I attached a laptop to router 2 i can both access the Tivo via ftp and telnet to the AP as well as ping back to router 1.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

HUGE