Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: tivoserver status and support

tivoserver status and support

Splitting the "MRV Protocol" thread from the Series 2 Devel. forum. Here you can find out the current status of the tivoserver software and get help compiling and running it.

Tivoserver is an app I'm working on to allow you to serve shows from your PC using the built in HMO interface. It only works on hacked Tivos, since otherwise your PC would have to be registered with your account

Currently only supports serving of MFS files, and there are several bugs that keep me from doing a proper release. Next big feature (after bug fixes of course) is the ability to download shows to the PC just as if it were a Tivo (ie no more mfs_ftp) and finally (hopefully) support for other movie formats.

Just got the sourceforge site up. Haven't release any files because of stability issues (it's still pretty buggy and may well kill your Tivo, but I doubt it). To compile/run it, you'll need to go to the CVS section and follow the instructions for "Anonymous CVS Access". I hope to do a release soon.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tivoserver/

this is great I cannot wait to help test or when you release.
    In my eyes this has been long waited for.

Good Luck!!
    TCD24004A- HME, Networked
    TCD240040- HME, Networked
    If it doesnt work now, it will eventually

Quote Originally Posted by wanttoknow
    this is great I cannot wait to help test or when you release.
    In my eyes this has been long waited for.

Good Luck!!
    I'm glad you're excited. If you really wanna help test, just follow the CVS instructions, what's checked in now is current and working for the most part.

( Did I forget to mention that this is a Linux app right now? If someone would like port it to Windows, you are welcome to

tivoserver on Cygwin

Okay, using your latest updated tivoserver source, here's what I've done:

1. Replaced the Enums.hh and TvStructs.hh with the ones you posted and removed the TvStructs-62.hh.
    2. Got the tar.h errors on the first compile, downloaded tar-1.13.25-7, installed tar.h to /usr/include.
    ---Upgrading Cygwin has no effect. tar.h is still not included with the distribution.
    3. Installed libxml2-2.6.20 and libtar-1.2.6.11
    ---Note, that these installed to /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/bin.
    4. Attempted to compile tivoserver with failures of the same type as BAHitman.

Your advice to him was:
    Quote Originally Posted by wsewell
    Then try an alternate compile method. First do a make in the tivoserver directory to make sure all the object files are built.
    Make.txt is attached. It built all object files but tivoserver.o

Then do:
    Code:
    g++ -Wall -I/sw/include/libxml2 `xml2-config --cflags` -c -o tivoserver.o -L/usr/lib tivoserver.cc
    g++ -o tivoserver *.o -lxml2 -lpthread /usr/local/lib/libtar.a
    The first command should return no errors. The second error may or may not give you the same errors as before.
    I've tried your 2 compile commands and the output is attached. I applied the first command exactly as posted and it built tivoserver.o.

I replaced '-L/usr/lib' with '-L/usr/local/lib' in the second command. Upon running it, I received the same errors as I did trying just 'make' in /usr/src/tivoserver.

Also, it might be helpful to know what OS/distribution and also what version of g++ (just do "g++ -v").
    Cygwin
    gcc-3.4.4-1

As far as libtar, which I feel is at the heart of my problems, I took your advice:
    First run nm on libtar.a and dump it to a file (ie "nm /usr/local/lib/libtar.a > somefile.txt"). Then look through the file to make sure that it lists tar_open and the other undefined references.
    Attached is the output of nm. It appears that indeed 'tar_open' et al, remain undefined. I'm unsure where to go from here.

I'm writing an install script to download, install and compile tivoserver and the other necessary programs. BUT, until I get tivoserver to compile I can't test the script further.

The make.txt output I posted is from your script as is. You can see the difference in output with the path changed to /usr/local/lib in the command line attempts. Most of my compile attempts used /usr/local/lib but I thought I'd posted enough logs. Let me know if you need it. Ideas?

NutKase

[EDIT] I see while I was typing this tome you got the CVS up. I just checked before deciding I couldn't wait longer to post .
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NutKase; 07-21-2005 at 12:41 AM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

tivoserver on Cygwin

I've finally compiled the tivoserver binary on Cygwin. I haven't tested it yet since I'm traveling and away from my tivos.

For those new to .patch output, the - is the original line, and the + reflects the changed or updated line.

From memory:

Added:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Mynet.cc, added the #include and uncommented the
    debugging.

+/* Added the next line and Edited the 2nd line */
    +#include <errno.h>

CHANGED
    -#undef NET_DEBUG
    -//#define NET_DEBUG 1
    +//#undef NET_DEBUG
    +#define NET_DEBUG 1

In Makefile - CHANGED
    -LIBDIR = -L/usr/lib
    +LIBDIR = -L/usr/local/lib

and

-INCLUDE = -I/sw/include/libxml2
    +INCLUDE = -I/usr/local/include/libxml2

and

-LIBRARIES = -lpthread `xml2-config --libs` -ltar
    +LIBRARIES = -lpthread `xml2-config --libs` -ltar -L/usr/local/lib/libtar.a

I also changed the compile order of the OBJECTS and the LIBRARIES
    - $(CPP) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(LIBDIR) $(LIBRARIES) $< $(OBJS)
    + $(CPP) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(LIBDIR) $< $(OBJS) $(LIBRARIES)

(Thanks, Jamie.)

I still have a bunch of errors like:

Code:
    Streamable.hh: In member function `void TivoType<TYPE>::print() [with TYPE = uint64_t]':
    ShowData.cc:636: instantiated from here
    Streamable.hh:152: warning: unsigned int format, uint32_t arg (arg 3)
    ...but the binary compiled at least.

NutKase

*File renamed to ~patch.txt for forum compatibility.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NutKase; 07-21-2005 at 02:38 PM. Reason: More clear formatting.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

Success!

Successfully compiled with cygwin!

I had to install tar.h to /usr/include and build libxml2 and libtar from source, then manually enter the tivoserver.o compile commands. I now have an executable, and I'm pulling shows off of my Tivo as we speak so I can test it out.

Great project! I've been looking for something like this for a while, and I'm excited by the implications!

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    I've finally compiled the tivoserver binary on Cygwin. I
    haven't tested it yet since I'm traveling and away from
    my tivos.
    Wow... well done NutKase! Thanks for all the help. I'll change the compile order for objects and libs straightaway (assuming it doesn't kill my compiles) and I'll hold onto the patch until I can get some sort of configure script worked out. Hopefully very soon.

I'm glad it works (well compiles at least) on cygwin; albeit with lots of effort. I hate the idea of users having to copy tar.h to their system just to get libtar to compile, just to get tivoserver to compile. Not sure what to do about this except to either distribute binaries (Ick!) or include libtar in tivoserver somehow (double-Ick!). Any suggestions? You said you were writing a script to sort-of automate the process, which is really cool; I'd just like to somehow fix this at the source. Guess the tar.h thing pales in comparison to having to download,compile, and install libtar and libxml2 so I guess a binary is prolly the best way to go for a certain user-base... oh well.

Can somebody post a cygwin binary PLEASE!!

I hate the idea of users having to copy tar.h to their system just to get libtar to compile, just to get tivoserver to compile.
    If users have already built a mips crosscompiler they'll already have tar.h in /TivoGCC.

Not sure what to do about this except to either distribute binaries (Ick!) or include libtar in tivoserver somehow (double-Ick!). Any suggestions? You said you were writing a script to sort-of automate the process, which is really cool; I'd just like to somehow fix this at the source. Guess the tar.h thing pales in comparison to having to download,compile, and install libtar and libxml2 so I guess a binary is prolly the best way to go for a certain user-base... oh well.
    No, I don't think a binary is the way to go but, it's your project.

What I'm doing is writing a script in the style of the build_xcompiler.sh script that pulls the sources for libtar, libxml2 and tivoserver, and builds them in order. This should do it for most users. Linux is required anyway... Just have to get a 'good' tar.h fix implemented.

I wish I knew how to take the output from 'locate' and throw that into my script to use as a /path/to/tar.h to cp it to /include. I'm still learning sed and .sh scripting...

BTW, Great job on implementing all the MRV protocol and IDL info. You're way ahead of me.

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by darrin75
    Can somebody post a cygwin binary PLEASE!!
    No.

BUT, I did post the full directions on what to change to compile one.

Keep in mind that you'll need the CVS release if you don't want to manually put the corrected Enums.hh and TvStruct.hh into the tivoserver directory...

NutKase

WSEWELL, Can you link back to the 'MRV Protocol' thread in your first post... for background info?
    Fully hacked SA S1

For right now I think sources are fine. But I think when you have a release you might want to think about a windows exe and just the source for unix. It's too hard for most windows users to compile it themselves and will just cause you a headache.

Tivoserver performs as advertised on cygwin, with one curious bug: it seems that, no matter what show I transfer from Tivoserver, it appears on my Tivo as an episode of Family Guy. Browsing Tivoserver shows correct title info, and even the Family Guy entry shows correct date, time, channel, and duration. A second transfer appears with the same title info.

I have an HDVR2 running 6.2.

Overall, a great effort. Can't wait to see a windows port.

Quote Originally Posted by lndshark
    Tivoserver performs as advertised on cygwin, with one curious bug: it seems that, no matter what show I transfer from Tivoserver, it appears on my Tivo as an episode of Family Guy. Browsing Tivoserver shows correct title info, and even the Family Guy entry shows correct date, time, channel, and duration. A second transfer appears with the same title info.

I have an HDVR2 running 6.2.

Overall, a great effort. Can't wait to see a windows port.

Sweet! This is very cool, I was hoping we (well you guys, since I haven't tried yet) could get it working under cygwin. Yeah, that bug is indeed curious, and is present even under *nix. It's actually my first bug entry on the sourceforge site

At first I though that it was show info for another show on the tivoserver being transferred instead of the correct show data. But it turns out that it's data from some other show. Seems to always be a show which you recorded (or was recorded by the Tivo Suggestions) in the past. Not sure though, mine shows up as a Family Guy too, episde :" Don't Make me over" or something like that. What ep. title is yours? Just trying tin figure out why the Tivo is subing it's own information after I go to all the trouble of sending it.

Sweet! This is very cool, I was hoping we (well you guys, since I haven't tried yet) could get it working under cygwin. Yeah, that bug is indeed curious, and is present even under *nix. It's actually my first bug entry on the sourceforge site

At first I though that it was show info for another show on the tivoserver being transferred instead of the correct show data. But it turns out that it's data from some other show. Seems to always be a show which you recorded (or was recorded by the Tivo Suggestions) in the past. Not sure though, mine shows up as a Family Guy too, episde :" Don't Make me over" or something like that. What ep. title is yours? Just trying tin figure out why the Tivo is subing it's own information after I go to all the trouble of sending it.
    Now that's weird; it's the very same show.

Do you believe in coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    I've finally compiled the tivoserver binary on Cygwin. I haven't tested it yet since I'm traveling and away from my tivos.

For those new to .patch output, the - is the original line, and the + reflects the changed or updated line.

From memory:

Added:
    Mynet.cc, added the #include and uncommented the
    debugging.

+/* Added the next line and Edited the 2nd line */
    +#include <errno.h>

CHANGED
    -#undef NET_DEBUG
    -//#define NET_DEBUG 1
    +//#undef NET_DEBUG
    +#define NET_DEBUG 1

In Makefile - CHANGED
    -LIBDIR = -L/usr/lib
    +LIBDIR = -L/usr/local/lib

and

-INCLUDE = -I/sw/include/libxml2
    +INCLUDE = -I/usr/local/include/libxml2

and

-LIBRARIES = -lpthread `xml2-config --libs` -ltar
    +LIBRARIES = -lpthread `xml2-config --libs` -ltar -L/usr/local/lib/libtar.a

I also changed the compile order of the OBJECTS and the LIBRARIES
    - $(CPP) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(LIBDIR) $(LIBRARIES) $< $(OBJS)
    + $(CPP) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(LIBDIR) $< $(OBJS) $(LIBRARIES)

(Thanks, Jamie.)

I still have a bunch of errors like:

Code:
    Streamable.hh: In member function `void TivoType<TYPE>::print() [with TYPE = uint64_t]':
    ShowData.cc:636: instantiated from here
    Streamable.hh:152: warning: unsigned int format, uint32_t arg (arg 3)
    ...but the binary compiled at least.

NutKase

*File renamed to ~patch.txt for forum compatibility.

Nutkase,
    So to compile this under cygwin I just need to follow what you did? My question is with these modifications that you suggest or made is the tar.h or libtar needed. Cause I assume libtar is not available under cygwin.

Cheers,
    darrin