Page 55 of 91 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: tivoserver status and support

FYI,
    We (mainly BTUxNine) have figured out how to play VOB's now. Perhaps in an upcoming release we will see it. The problem was enabling the AC3 codec. Also interestingly, I have found this also solves many of my Divx and Xvid transcoding problems, which turned out to have AC3 streams buried in them. I think it's an important breakthrough for Tivoserver...

Quote Originally Posted by starmanj
    FYI,
    We (mainly BTUxNine) have figured out how to play VOB's now. Perhaps in an upcoming release we will see it. The problem was enabling the AC3 codec. Also interestingly, I have found this also solves many of my Divx and Xvid transcoding problems, which turned out to have AC3 streams buried in them. I think it's an important breakthrough for Tivoserver...
    Despite this, there are still quite a few stream types that won't work... most because of ffmpeg issues, but a few problems with tivoserver too, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by starmanj
    We (mainly BTUxNine) have figured out how to play VOB's now
    That is awesome news!

This is HUGE! Way to go, guys! Looking forward to it...and my server full of Divx-with-AC3 movies thanks you too.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

WOW! I finally got around to hacking my DirecTiVos and tivoserver is fantastic. I have tried it on three different machines and, for all my AVIs, my 500mhz P3 Linux box can only achieve about 200k/sec. My Athelon 2400+ running windows does about 600k/sec but my 2.5ghz dual powermac only does about 80k/sec. UGH! Before I started installing all the additional software needed to build, I thought I would see if there are any other mac guys out there that have played around with this and had performance suggestions.

Regardless, fantastic stuff guys!

--Ron

Several of my ty (tym) files are exhibiting this issue. These are DVD rips extracted and demuxed with DVD Decrypter and then muxed with ty-enabled mplex. It seems to happen with greater frequency on longer movies, although that could just be coincidence. The gettyheader runs for a few proplem tym's are attached.
    Last edited by rbautch; 01-29-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rbautch
    Several of my ty (tym) files are exhibiting this issue. These are DVD rips extracted and demuxed with DVD Decrypter and then muxed with ty-enabled mplex. It seems to happen with greater frequency on longer movies, although that could just be coincidence. The gettyheader runs for a few proplem tym's are attached.
    the headers look ok... can you try 2 things?
    1) try to insert the stream using mfs_ftp
    2) rename the file .ty and see if tivoserver likes it better

Followup... dre| had a similar problem, and inserting the stream using mfs_ftp not only didn't work, it caused a reboot. It appears that tymplex may not handle some ac3 streams well.

Quote Originally Posted by BTUxNine
    Followup... dre| had a similar problem, and inserting the stream using mfs_ftp not only didn't work, it caused a reboot. It appears that tymplex may not handle some ac3 streams well.
    Indeed, my tivo is rebooting as we speak. I'll transcode to mp2 and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by rbautch
    Over this past weekend i was on a mission to get my DVD'S to play. I will try to describe what i found the best way I can. i had no problems with an original DVD from the store or were ever. What I did have a problem with is the DVD's I had backup copies of.

what i did is rip with DVD Decrypter then used the mplex.exe -f10 -o movie.ty movie.m2v movie.ac3. Up to this point was fine. I then put the TY file in the tivo server drive so it would be loaded. i restarted the tivoserver so it would create the cache file.

now when i go to any of the 5 tivo's in my house it will not play. i get the following error.....

" Sorry, you cant watch this program now, either because the tivo server DVR is no longer available on the network or because the requested program could no longer be found."

So I did some digging and found that the cache file was not being created correctly.

you need to use textpad or some other Unix based file editor. DO NOT USER WINDOWS TEXTPAD TO DO THIS OR IT WILL CORRUPT THE FILE.
    if you open the cache file for that move you get the error on it should look like this
    ################################################################################
    # Tivoserver 0.4.2
    # This is a cached version of the information for file:
    #
    # G:\tivo\/DVD's/THE_POLAR_EXPRESS.ty
    #
    # Please edit with care, and leave the top 6 entries where they are
    ################################################################################
    FileURL=G:\tivo\/DVD's/THE_POLAR_EXPRESS.ty
    LastModTime=1138501864
    FolderName=DVD's
    Program.Title=THE_POLAR_EXPRESS
    Recording.StartTime=9064
    Recording.StartDate=13177
    # Please leave entries above this comment where they are. Same for those below
    NumParts=0
    Recording.CallSign=tymplex
    Recording.Duration=5990
    Recording.StopTime=5990
    Recording.StreamFileSize=0
    Showing.Date=13177
    Showing.Duration=5991
    Showing.Time=9064

if you look at the following parts you will see a 0 as the values
    NumParts=0
    Recording.StreamFileSize=0

these are wrong. what i did is changed them to look like this
    NumParts=11 ( this was just a guess. i found if the file does not have 11 parts it will still play and stop at the last part it has.)
    Recording.StreamFileSize=4294272 ( this is the true size of the movie file)

when i made these changes in the file and reloaded the tivoserver the movie played with no problem at all. I tried this on 7 DVD's that had the same problem they all play now.

there is only one thing wrong you will see on the tivo when toy play the movie. they all say the length of the movie is 4hrs and 10 min. i can live with that for now till i can figure out how to fix it.

hope this helps someone out there. thanks
    Last edited by usa11usa; 01-30-2006 at 10:32 PM.
    5 Hughes Dtivo all running 6.2 and hacked

Quote Originally Posted by usa11usa
    So I did some digging and found that the cache file was not being created correctly.
    That was it! All of my problem ty files are now playing fine. The play bar incorrectly shows the total time, but unlike yours it shows 3:50. Most of my problem ty's were commercial DVD's, so this is likely a bug. A minor inconvenience for such a great tool!

Modifying the cache file does seem to do the trick for Ty-mplex created Ty's. To get it to display the correct time, I simply needed to modify the "Showing.Duration" to be equal to "Recording.Duration". For some reason Tivoserver originally looks at the TY file and decides to change the StreamFileSize and duration. It changes the duration first to zero, and then from zero to some calculated too long duration, as shown here in the Tivoserver output:

Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Don\Desktop>tivoserver
    Tivoserver 0.4.2
    AVI2!
    **  Loading Local Shows From 'C:\Documents and Settings\Don\Application Data/vid
    eo/' **
     +  wag.ty
    246 bytes of XML found.  1st 1024 bytes=
    <?xml version="1.1" tivoversion="3.1.5e-01-2-357"?>
    <Object type="Recording" id="_top">
    <StreamFileSize>3402112</StreamFileSize>
    <Duration>5076</Duration>
    <StartTime>0</StartTime>
    <StopTime>5076</StopTime>
    <CallSign>tymplex</CallSign>
    </Object>

******END OF XML****
    Calculating part info for C:\Documents and Settings\Don\Application Data/video/w
    ag.ty
      --> Loading Header 0 C:\Documents and Settings\Don\Application Data/video/wag.
    ty
    streamFileSize changed from 3402112 to 0
    end(14753388)-bgn(3)/1000=(14753) orig dur=(0)
    duration changed from 0 to 14753
    SUCCESS: ( 2452743793 ) -> wag :
    As you can see, the duration was originally = 5076, but Tivoserver changed it to 14753, and StreamFileSize was originally 3402112, but Tivoserver changed it to zero. Once I changed those two values, as well as the NumParts, everything worked perfectly. I used NumParts = 7, because that is how many "Generating master chunk" messages I got from Ty-mplex. I'm not really sure if that is correct, though.

Here is the cache file as I modified it, with changes shown in bold.

Code:
    # Tivoserver 0.4.2
    # This is a cached version of the information for file:
    #
    #   C:\Documents and Settings\Don\Application Data/video/wag.ty
    #
    # Please edit with care, and leave the top 6 entries where they are  :) 
    FileURL=C:\Documents and Settings\Don\Application Data/video/wag.ty
    LastModTime=1138725035
    FolderName=
    Program.Title=wag
    Recording.StartTime=59435
    Recording.StartDate=13179
    # Please leave entries above this comment where they are.  Same for those below
    NumParts=7 (was 0)
    Recording.CallSign=tymplex
    Recording.Duration=5076
    Recording.StopTime=5076
    Recording.StreamFileSize=3402112 (was 0)
    Showing.Date=13179
    Showing.Duration=5076 (was 14753)
    Showing.Time=59435

This is just a wild guess, but are the tymplex recordings with issues people are having trouble with all >2GB?

Quote Originally Posted by BTUxNine
    This is just a wild guess, but are the tymplex recordings with issues people are having trouble with all >2GB?
    Yup, that seems to be it. Pretty good guess for a wild one.

I just re-mplex'ed the same files that were causing me problems up above (with the odd results in the cache), and set the mplex to only do the first 45 minutes of the movie. The resulting file was 1.8GB, and it worked perfectly with Tivoserver on the first try.

Just a smal little issue that I don't know if it is me or ?

I downloaded 0.4.3 from sourceforge and moved it over to my server (cygwin installed). I executed the exe inside cygwin (tivoserver.exe --help) to get the version info to make sure I had the right one and it returned 0.4.2.

Is there a problem with the version on sourceforge ?

Thanks