Thread: MRV/Parental Controls?

MRV/Parental Controls?

Has anyone found a way around requiring the parental control password to MRV shows when parental controls are enabled? It seems that my kid's Tivo with parental controls enabled, requires the password in order to MRV a show, even though that show is within the limits of the parental control guidelines.

Thanks,
    Doc

There's no place like ~

I don't actually use MRV or Parental Controls, but let me bounce an idea or two off you. Any chance that you have Channel Locks on along with Ratings? I'm thinking that there's a chance that the kid's TiVo doesn't know what channel the MRV recording came from so it locks it by default. Or is there a setting for blocking MRV recordings that might've been enabled by default?

ew

Quote Originally Posted by DocTauri
    Has anyone found a way around requiring the parental control password to MRV shows when parental controls are enabled? It seems that my kid's Tivo with parental controls enabled, requires the password in order to MRV a show, even though that show is within the limits of the parental control guidelines.

Thanks,
    Doc
    I've finally been able to enable MRV between my 2 DTivos' that run 6.2 This "feature" is very annoying to me and I'd also be curious if there is a workaround.

This is a problem for me as well. I can't transfer a program without putting in the Parental Controls code. That's fine I suppose, but then it unlocks that TiVo for 4 hours. I can re-lock it once the transfer starts, but if I try to play the show I get a rating unknown message (even though I can clearly see the rating in the info) and it asks for the code again. Definitely frustrating for those of us who use Parental Controls. Basically means no MRV for the kids.

I did a search and this was the only thread I could find that seems to discuss this for 6.2 DTiVos.

any news? This thread's a year old but the problem is still there. DVRplaygorund has no info.

Found this thread on tivocommunity which provides some useful info but no solution. Basically when viewing a show description on another tivo the rating's not avaiiable. as soon as you try to transfer the parental control kicks in. once downloaded the rating info's all there. so I assume this is a tivo design limitation?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=294387
    -Series 4 Premiere XL unhacked
    -5 Philips DSR704 DirecTivos Instantcake'd & Superpatched 6.2, MRV & HMO to both Macs and PCs
    -pyTiVo media server

bump^

exact same thing. The dvr my kids use has the smallest hd, so I record some shows for them on my 750GB tivo. To mrv anything to it requires the parental code. I don't want their tivo to go without parental controls, nor do I want to unlock it for them and forget to relock it. My wife and I have some shows on the bedroom tivo that are not for their viewing.

I can find no other threads with this info.
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB