Thread: DTivo Reboots only when satellite is connected

DTivo Reboots only when satellite is connected

A few days ago, I was watching the live feed on TIVO, and it suddenly rebooted. It would get past the opening screens without a problem, past "jut a few more seconds" and it starts to acquire data from the satellite. At about 51%, it causes the TIVO to reboot.

So, I disconnected the satellite feeds, restarted the box, the acquiring satellite data times out and presto, I can get into Tivo Central and watch existing programs. Even if I wait a half hour or so, and reconnect the satellite coax, it almost immediately reboots again.

The "system information" screen says "Account Closed" but Directv claims that everything is fine. While I have a turbonet card, I forced a few calls over the phone line and it did not change anything.

I then tried forcing a program guide/ season pass cleanup. Well, that ran for 24 hours and I finally gave up on it. I had to move the drive into a PC to adjust systinit.rc, rebooted in TIVO and then clear the zapattribute by hand with a tcl script. That allowed me to get into Tivo central again.

My Tivo has a Sony T-60 with a 120 GB single drive. Well, I have run out of ideas on how to fix this. Does anyone have a suggestion?

GG

You might want to run the manufacturer's diagnostic program on the hard drive. It could be that the drive is failing and causing the reboots to occur. Check all of your connections, especially the fan. If you can get to the System Information screen you should check the temperature to make sure it's within normal limits, usually in the low to mid 40's (degrees C). Overheating can sometimes make the S1 DTivos go a little nuts. Make sure you have plenty of clearance around the base of the unit to allow for adequate air circulation. If the temp is too high try running it with the cover off and see if that helps.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I was able to rule out fan and heating problems by running it with the cover off (the temp is always under 44 degrees C) I also check the SMART status of the drive and it came up clean. It doesn't matter if the box has been running for 5 minutes or 24 hours, soon as I attached the satellite cables, it reboots!

Just tried another thing...

OK, I just got another idea. I noticed the B connection was still wired and it was not causing the reboot. I went into the screen where I told TIVO to forget everything it knows about the satellite so I could rerun the setup. Once I did that, I restarted the TIVO and got the satellite setup screen. I reconnected the coax into the A connection and it didn't reboot. It showed good transponder strength. Once again as soon as I tried to obtain guide info, it rebooted at 51%. Arrrgghhhhhhh!

It is PROBABLY hardware, but to be certain, put the original drive back in and see if it works. If it still fails (likely), you've got a doorstop. If it works, follow Captain Video's advice and run a non-destructive surface scan on the 120 Gig drive.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Passing a SMART simple test doesn't mean the hard drive is good - just that it passed those test.

Use the proper tools and run the extensive tests (to use Maxtor's terminalogy). It is non-destructive and will test the entire surface.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger02176
    OK, I just got another idea. I noticed the B connection was still wired and it was not causing the reboot. I went into the screen where I told TIVO to forget everything it knows about the satellite so I could rerun the setup. Once I did that, I restarted the TIVO and got the satellite setup screen. I reconnected the coax into the A connection and it didn't reboot. It showed good transponder strength. Once again as soon as I tried to obtain guide info, it rebooted at 51%. Arrrgghhhhhhh!
    That test right there leads you to a hardware issue...

Take the coax cable going to the B sat input.
    Remove the A sat feed and connect the B coax cable to the A sat input.
    Rerun the setup telling it you have 1 cable connected. See if you can get guide data...

Your need to narrow the issue to 1) Tivo unit or 2) external devices.

Is your LNB shorted out? Is your A cable shorted? Has the A tuner failed internally on the Tivo?

You know that B cable and tuner are good - now start narrowing it down..

Spydertech

(BTW - this is after PlainBill and Caps tests. A malfunctioning hard drive will manifest itself in some crazy ways)

edit - Even if it is a failed Tivo - there are some very reputable repair centers that can probably fix it.
    Last edited by Spydertech; 07-28-2005 at 10:29 PM.

I'd just get another DTivo if yours turns out to be defective. The cost of a replacement unit ($50 or less) will be far less than what anyone will charge you in labor for repairs. The replacement parts alone will probably cost more than an entire DTivo purchased on ebay.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    I'd just get another DTivo if yours turns out to be defective. The cost of a replacement unit ($50 or less) will be far less than what anyone will charge you in labor for repairs. The replacement parts alone will probably cost more than an entire DTivo purchased on ebay.
    Depends - I know one company that will repair the thing for 100 flat rate...

But if you can replace it for $50 or less - buy a new one....

Buying a new one is $100 or more - less a rebate that you may or may not qualify for. A used one off fleabay won't have a good access card - more money you have to pay to DirecTV to get the darn thing working. Unless of course they are allowing you to switch a card from one unit to another.

Spydertech

You can usually transfer your access card from a defective DTV receiver to a replacement so the card shouldn't be an issue. I've done it personally on several occasions. Just call DTV and tell them your DTivo or receiver died and they'll make the swap for you. I routinely see new and used DTivos going for less than $50 on ebay. Used S1 DTivos are practically being given away.

I have the service plan for all my receivers and DTivos and had a DSR-704 die on me a while back. DTV sent me a replacement at no cost but I told them I didn't want to wait until the replacement arrived to get up and running again. I had another DSR-704 that I thought I had previously deactivated and went round and round with the CSR to try and get it reactivated again. It wasn't that she gave me a hard time but rather that she had problems trying to get it working. I eventually gave up and called a different CSR and got it activated with no problem. It turns out that I had never activated that particular DTivo before and it was causing the other CSR some serious heartburn when she kept trying to find it in my account history. The problem was that she couldn't find an access card that matched up with the unit. I have about 10 deactivated P4 cards and none of them matched up.
    Last edited by captain_video; 07-29-2005 at 09:57 AM.

Dang - I didn't realize they had dropped so much in value!!!!

Guess I should have researched that little bit before speaking, huh?

I'm moving soon - and I plan on re-upping with DirecTV, but I want the HDTivo - the only thing I'm worried about is the mpeg4 transition...

Now - if the HDTivo would drop to around $200 - I'd buy one anyway...

Spydertech

The HDTivos should still be good for quite some time. Even when DTV makes the transition to mpeg4 I believe they will still support the current mpeg2 HD transmissions for quite a while to give everyone enough time to transition over to new hardware. Recording digital OTA transmissions should still work indefinitely. I do most of my HD recording via OTA antenna so the mpeg4 transition will mostly affect only my SD DTivo and DTV receivers.

Thanks everyone for your help. I finally found my original drive, put it in and of course, TIVO booted no problem. I ran the sector scan on the other drive and sure enough it failed.

To get a new 120 GB drive will probably run me almost $100. Your right Captain Video, I might be better off getting a new unit from Directv for $50. My only fear is that I won't be able to hack it the way I have the Series 1 or I am wrong about that? I heard a rumor somewhere that someone got HMO working on the series 2?

GG

Thanks everyone for your help. I finally found my original drive, put it in and of course, TIVO booted no problem. I ran the sector scan on the other drive and sure enough it failed.

To get a new 120 GB drive will probably run me almost $100. Your right Captain Video, I might be better off getting a new unit from Directv for $50. My only fear is that I won't be able to hack it the way I have the Series 1 or I am wrong about that? I heard a rumor somewhere that someone got HMO working on the series 2?

GG
    I don't know if you're buying a special drive or something, but you can get a lot more drive for $100 than a 120GB (after rebate of course). Check some of the first few threads here.
    ew

GG
    You shouldn't have a problem getting HMO working on S2 units nor on S2 RID units. You will not be able to upgrade the R10 though so stay away from that model. the R10 is an S2.5 unit. All my DTivos S2 units have HMO enabled.

Smee

120GB drives routinely sell for about $40-50 after rebate these days if you shop around. I believe Circuit City has 250GB drives on sale this week for about $79 if you can still find one in stock somewhere.