Thread: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author

I recently installed TivoWeb - Worked great.

I then installed vserver and was able to stream content to my pc - Worked great

I then wanted to download the contend directly to my PC. Got Tytools and Tsever workng. I was able to do downloads and play the content.

I put tserver in my rc.sysinit.author file to startup when the Tivo started. Thats when I go killed. rc.sysinit.author runs before ftp, telnet, and tivoweb. tserver sits and waits for connections but does not allow these services to start.

I can still use tytools to download content but can not get back into the box.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get back in? All I need to do is delete the file and/or figure a way of crashing tserver so it letts the other processes start..

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by nrosoff
    Anyone have any ideas how I can get back in? All I need to do is delete the file and/or figure a way of crashing tserver so it letts the other processes start..
    One of those times a serial cable is handy (as long as you had the forsight to run bash on the serial console. Otherwise, pull the disk and make sure you run tserver in the background next time.

Serial cable access

About a year ago I bought and installed a PTV upgrade replacement hard drive.
    I did not set up bash to run on the serial console, do you know if they do when they set up the disk?

Thanks

Where are the partitions

I took Jamie's advice and removed the drive and installed it into a pc and booted it with the Jenkins Linux cd.

I can not find any partitions on the drive. Are the partition hidden?

I was considering using partition magic and look to see what is the problem. Would this work?

Thanks
    Neil

I took Jamie's advice and removed the drive and installed it into a pc and booted it with the Jenkins Linux cd.

I can not find any partitions on the drive. Are the partition hidden?

I was considering using partition magic and look to see what is the problem. Would this work?
    How are you looking for partitions? fdisk won't work; use pdisk. partition magic will probably not recognize the partition table either, and may corrupt your disk.

How did you hack your tivo initially? You must have been through this before.

Partitions

Yes I was using fdisk.

I bought a pptv upgrade disk that had ftp and bash enabled.
    So I truly did not hack into it initially, they did.

I have built, installed and maintain serveral Lunix web servers, and the software was easy to to obtain from various web sites. So it was not a big deal for me to install the software, and make the changes to the various configurtion files. I just make a rookie mistake when I ran tserver in the forground.

I am obviously getting an education on some the things that are unique to the Tivo (like partition tables).

Thank you for your help.

Neil
    Last edited by nrosoff; 08-17-2005 at 01:51 PM.

I bought a pptv upgrade disk that had ftp and bash enabled.
    So I truly did not hack into it initially, they did.
    This is one of the reasons why pre-hacked disks are frowned upon here: you don't have the knowledge needed to fix problems if you didn't hack it yourself initially.

I don't know much about series1's or the Jenkins CD, but I suspect you can just mount the root partition. It's going to be partition 4 or 7. There's a lot of info about using the CD on Jenkin's web site that should get you started.