Thread: Newbie IR Question

Newbie IR Question

I did some searching on IR, but didnt' see what I was looking for, so....

I'd like to have my TiVo out of sight/out of mind and still use the remote. From what I've read about the IR cable that comes with the box, it seems to be only to control cable/sat boxes. Is there a device I can get / use to alllow my Remote to access the Tivo?

Thanks,

The simplest thing would be to get a remote control repeater. A set would run you $25 at Radio Shack, if memory serves.

Where would that attach to? The IR port in the back?

Quote Originally Posted by kfcrary
    The simplest thing would be to get a remote control repeater. A set would run you $25 at Radio Shack, if memory serves.

No, the repeater will need to be LineOfSight of your remote. This will receive the IR commands from your remote and send them to your Tivo. Most repeaters come with 2-6 IR sensors that you would stick on your out-of-site IR sensors of the individual devices. They just pass the commands through to the devices.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemodena
    No, the repeater will need to be LineOfSight of your remote. This will receive the IR commands from your remote and send them to your Tivo. Most repeaters come with 2-6 IR sensors that you would stick on your out-of-site IR sensors of the individual devices. They just pass the commands through to the devices.
    Ok, so to keep it simple (for me) it's like an extension cord. One end is out where my remote can see/touch it and the other is hidden away next to the Tivo. The one near the Tivo faces the IR port on the Tivo? So there's nothing to physically attach to the Tivo?

Thanks!!!!

Yes, you're extension cord analogy is good. The exception is one end of the entension cord IS physically attached to the IR sensor of your tivo via clear double-sided sticky tape. ...each device that is "hidden" would have an "extension cord".

another alternative would be to get a RF adaptor. (like this one) The one I like to use replaces one of the batteries in your regular IR remote with a RF transmitter. What's is nice about this approach is you have no ugly adapter attached to the outside of the remote. you have a RF receiver that would need to be placed in front of all the Hidden devices. You remote would then broadcast both IR and RF signals. Those devices that are with LOS would receive the IR, and those that are hidden ... the RF receiver would receive the duplicated RF signal, translate it back to IR and blast is out to the hidden devices.

[QUOTE=bluemodena]Yes, you're extension cord analogy is good. The exception is one end of the entension cord IS physically attached to the IR sensor of your tivo via clear double-sided sticky tape. ...each device that is "hidden" would have an "extension cord".

Ok, when I was thinking 'attach' I was really thinking about a port, like in the back. It sounds like your description is similar to the diagram Tivo provide for controlling a sat/cable box where there is some kind of shroud or cover over the IR port thing they give you...

Thanks for the help! I'll prolly check out Radioshack...

Joe