Thread: Dead Quantum drive

Dead Quantum drive

Welp, I kind of knew this day might come. The 40GB quantum fireball in my DSR6000 seems to be dead. What happened was is that I installed ccxstream and I put ccxstream in the rc.sysinit.author file. I just had rc.sysinit, so I typed "cp rc.sysinit rc.sysinit.author", used joe to open in and add ccxstream, then saved it and rebooted. It then would say "Wecome Powering up", then go to the cachecard driver splash screen, then went black and stayed black and wouldn't continue with the bootup process. So, I figured I'd remove the drive, delete rc.sysinit.author and I'd be good to go.

Well, when I put it in a pc and powered it up, the drive wouldn't spin up at all, with the jumper set to cable select. The PC is a new HP, so it likes drives with cable select. No matter what I did, it just wouldn't spin up.

The LED is blinking green, and I haven't been able to find much documentation since Maxtor took over Quantum HD division. If it's really dead then I'll just buy a 120GB or 200GB, and 25extreme the drive.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Quick and easy test: Hook the power cable ONLY up to the drive and power it up. It will be very easy to tell if it spins up. If it doesn't, replace it.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Some have had success at rescuing the data from a bad quantum fireball by swapping out the circuit board. If you have multiple tivos, you may have another identical drive with a functional circuitboard.

I put the drive back in the tivo and it spun up. Really odd. The PSU in the computer probably never supplied enough power. I'm going to put it in a different computer and boot up with knoppix and delete the rc.sysinit.author so it's back the way it was.

Thanks.

Jonathan

The second PC I try the drive in still won't spin up the drive! 12V is correct. It still spins up in the tivo. Could the drive be locked?

Maybe. But that's not the reason it won't spin up.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by emuman100
    The second PC I try the drive in still won't spin up the drive! 12V is correct. It still spins up in the tivo. Could the drive be locked?
    Doesn't spin up with only the power connected (no IDE)?

ew