Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote codes 6.2 slice upgrade

Remote codes 6.2 slice upgrade

I have two SD-DVR 40's that are hacked. One has a Sony image, and uses that remote code set. The other has another image, which uses the DVR40's remote code set. They are in the same room, and it is working great.

I want to try to upgrade via slices the one with the Sony remote code set. Will this affect the remote codes, since I am upgrading based on serial number?

Is there a way to keep/change the remote codes when I am done on 6.2? I use a ONE4ALL universal remote that works with this setup, not sure about the "channels" changing for multiple tivos.

thanks,

phil
    Last edited by xjphil; 09-13-2005 at 05:10 PM.

anyone?.....

still no help?

I wasn't aware that Sony ever made a Series 2 DirecTiVo, so I have no idea if it would work or not.

You've got the systems, it's been over 5 months since you asked this question, why don't you try to find out for yourself? Clone the drive with the 'Sony' image and upgrade it to 6.2 via slices. Test it at each step. Now you have your answer.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I'd be glad to work with you on this one as I'd like to get a Sony immage for one of my sd-dvrxxx's then I could get back to one remote! How did you get the sony immage?
    HDVR2 - 300MB Fully Hacked mfs_ftp, MRV, Bufferhack, Superpatch, TiVoWebPlus, Hackman, tserver, Fake Call ..etc
    Samsung SD - SIR4120R 120MB Fully Hacked As Above and networked
    HR10-250 Not Yet Hacked - Waiting for Warranty to expire. But I'll probably hack it sooner!

The sony image is a 4.0 image from a standalone, not directivo. It has different codes to run a universal remote than the hughes I have, so I wanted to keep that software on there, to avoid conflicts.

Pulling the drive is an option, but I think you'd agree that asking if someone else has any knowledge that would help is a better option.

Maybe not.

I found out that it does change the remote codes to what I assume is the HDVR2 codes, as that's what is listed under System Info. Unfortunately this is the same as the Hughes. Now I need to do some remote programming...

Nearly all remote codes are the same except Sony
    HDVR2 - 300MB Fully Hacked mfs_ftp, MRV, Bufferhack, Superpatch, TiVoWebPlus, Hackman, tserver, Fake Call ..etc
    Samsung SD - SIR4120R 120MB Fully Hacked As Above and networked
    HR10-250 Not Yet Hacked - Waiting for Warranty to expire. But I'll probably hack it sooner!

Ok, it looks like I am going to have to restore from a sony image I have, since I (searched and) read that downgrading back is not the best plan.

I have one shot with my OFA remote to see if it sends the codes correctly, then I must restore, because I can't take two peanut remotes all over the house.

I have set the peanut remotes of the tivos (SD-DVR40s) to remote address (1) and (2). If it sees a remote address of (0), it reverts back to address (0). The OFA cust. svc. guy says their remotes are capable of remote codes 0-4, but I'm not sure if they new codes he gave me will send a 0 as well as the address.

Their upgrade that sends me the new codes didn't work, that's why I cannot test right now.

I saw a hint of a script to change to the sony remotes on here, but after searching all I can think of, I can't find it.

I have a Sony image, and can poke around to see if I can find the remote codes. Can someone point me in the direction of where to start looking?

I know the slice upgrade from 4.0 to 6.2 changed my remote codes from the Sony codes to the (all other tivo) codes. I know that some things didn't change, so that should help in finding where they are kept, correct?

The restore will lose the wife's recordings, AFAIK, but I have to fix the problem, so I thought I'd poke around before I do that.

Any help is appreciated. Just tell me what I forgot to search for now...

I don't know how much (if any) of this is useful, but it looks like the aussies have a good bit of knowledge on the IR code system in their WIKI.

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/IR/WebHome

Thanks.

There was a select remote script that was a tad old. I tested it, and it produced this error msg:

no such object:
    while executing
    "dbobj $tmpgrp get "Item""
    invoked from within
    "transaction {
    set swsysa [db $db open "/SwSystem/ACTIVE"]
    set resgrp [dbobj $swsysa get ResourceGroup]
    set tmpgrp [lindex $resgrp 30]
    set tmpr..."
    (file "/hacks/selectremote.tcl" line 107)

Which I assume is the new software changing the location of the resource.

Any help?

The remote codes were moved into the tuikres resources in the latest software version. As far as I know nobody has figured out how to change them yet.

From my kernel log:

Jan 2 00:00:20 (none) kernel: Running boot Stage D_PreMfs scripts
    Jan 2 00:00:20 (none) kernel: Remote control is TIVO

This got me looking at the Stage D_PreMfs scripts, which let me to this script: rc.Sequence_050.SetupApplicationEnvironment.sh

if [ "$TIVO_REMOTE" = "" ]; then
    export TIVO_REMOTE=TIVO
    fi
    echo "Remote control is " $TIVO_REMOTE

Surely its not as easy as setting this variable, is it? And testing / screwing this up would cause no more harm than a non-functioning remote, correct?
    Last edited by xjphil; 03-03-2006 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xjphil
    From my kernel log:

Jan 2 00:00:20 (none) kernel: Running boot Stage D_PreMfs scripts
    Jan 2 00:00:20 (none) kernel: Remote control is TIVO

This got me looking at the Stage D_PreMfs scripts, which let me to this script: rc.Sequence_050.SetupApplicationEnvironment.sh

if [ "$TIVO_REMOTE" = "" ]; then
    export TIVO_REMOTE=TIVO
    fi
    echo "Remote control is " $TIVO_REMOTE

Surely its not as easy as setting this variable, is it? And testing / screwing this up would cause no more harm than a non-functioning remote, correct?

I can think of two ways to find out: Disassemble tivoapp and see how the TIVO_REMOTE variable is handled. Or change it to TIVO_REMOTE=SONY and see what happens. It is possible you will get a rolling reboot and will have to pull the drive, but I'd say the chances of any other problems are remote.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    change it to TIVO_REMOTE=SONY and see what happens.
    That was my first thought, but I wanted to confirm that this is what a sony system sets this variable to first. It wouldn't help if this didn't work and that's not what the variable is set to on a Sony.

I'd say the chances of any other problems are remote.
    But no pun intended, right?