Thread: Newbie Question: How to enable network in 6.2?

Newbie Question: How to enable network in 6.2?

So I've been reading for a few weeks and I think I'm ready to do the hack. I ordered a Tivo from DirecTV and ended up with an R10. I chunked it and got a Samsung SIR4040 off ebay.

It's currently running 6.2, so I don't need to do a software upgrade, although in order to replace the drive with a bigger one I think it might be easier to just install Alphawolf's 6.2 image. Otherwise I'll have to find a FAT32 drive somewhere to backup the current software.

I think I can handle the killinitrd (that runs from my PC I assume) and the superpatch. But what I'm not clear on is where I enable the USB ports to connect to the network. All the network config stuff I've read assumes I'm already telnetting into the Tivo. Once I run killinitrd and plug a USB network adapter in, will the Tivo connect and grab an IP? Will the telnet daemon be running? I've been reading but I cannot seem to answer that question.

Help would be appreciated.

You'll need a FAT32 drive to use Alphawolf's image as well. Look in the series 2 support form for threads that talk about 6.2 and you'll find what you need.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I'd suggest starting with Cheer's post in this thread.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    You'll need a FAT32 drive to use Alphawolf's image as well. Look in the series 2 support form for threads that talk about 6.2 and you'll find what you need.
    Acutally, I had burned the image to a CD which I beleive I can mount under Linux. Assuming it works, that should be easier than repartitioning a hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    I'd suggest starting with Cheer's post in this thread.
    That's a very useful list. Thanks. So I assume I perform all of those steps with the drive in the computer, and that following them will setup the tivo for DHCP and enable telnetd?

Thanks again.

That's the general idea. When I'm hacking a system at 6.2 I generally try to get it running with networking enabled and AlphaWolf's utilities. Once it's on the network, everything else can be done without pulling the drive. It is very easy to do this with 6.2 - install the killhdinitrd kernel, load rc.sysinit.author and the utilities, and rename netfilter.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video

I'm a total n00b and I didn't need a DOS drive.

The mfstools ISO supports USB so you can either burn the 6.2 mfs image to a CD and put your handy USB/FW CD-RW drive on the box to get an extra CD or you can put it on a flash drive (128MB or better should fit).

If you don't have any of that stuff, you can put the restore image on any filesystem that the mfstools (linux) can read and direct mfsrestore to the file.

mfstools + ISO: http://mfstools.sf.net/

Or you can add the files to the tools cd - just burn a second session after burning the iso.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 09-19-2005 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.deke
    That's a very useful list. Thanks. So I assume I perform all of those steps with the drive in the computer, and that following them will setup the tivo for DHCP and enable telnetd?
    More or less. You have to enable telnetd in your rc.sysinit.author like so:
    Code:
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    Also, I don't run DHCP, but I think it's automagical.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have successfully hacked the TiVo and just finished some show extractions. My next step is to install the backported USB drivers, but I'm in no rush.

I did make one mistake though, and I want to ask for advice. When I copied my original drive I didn't realize that I had to specify an option to keep the background movies. So now when I go to a menu the background is whatever was already playing.

I know this is documented on the forum here but it seems to apply to version 4 of the software, not version 6.2. Would I have any luck trying this method with 6.2? I know I could just start from scratch, but it would be a pain and I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Another weird thing I'm experiencing that I'm still troubleshooting: It seems that when both tuners are recording something and the TiVo is playing something, and I try to play an MP3 using the HMO, it won't play. Keep in mind that this means, since I don't have the menu videos, that when I browse the menu for MP3s whatever the last thing I was watching is still playing in the background. I wonder if this could be related to the menu transparancy problem? Going back to whatever was playing and hitting pause solves the problem; MP3s play fine. Has anyone ever heard of something like that?

Thanks again!

There are four possible approaches: Start over by making a copy of the original drive and rehacking it. This will give you more experience - always a good thing.

Copy (dd) the hacked root partition to a temporary drive; make a correct copy of the original drive, then dd the hacked root partition to the new copy.

There is a file on eMule that contains 6.2 slices and dependencies. If you are feeling brave you could dbload the dependencies to the drive and see if that fixes the problems.

Do a search on 'loopsets' and research how to extract them from a working system, then insert them into your system. This promises to be REALLY educational.

PlainBill

There is a file on eMule that contains 6.2 slices and dependencies. If you are feeling brave you could dbload the dependencies to the drive and see if that fixes the problems.
    PlainBill
    I just dbloaded the slices for the channel logos and it worked really well, so my first inclination would be to load the 6.2 slices/dependencies that I just got from EMule. But why do you say I should try it if I'm "feeling brave?" Is there a good chance of causing problems?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.deke
    I just dbloaded the slices for the channel logos and it worked really well, so my first inclination would be to load the 6.2 slices/dependencies that I just got from EMule. But why do you say I should try it if I'm "feeling brave?" Is there a good chance of causing problems?

Thanks.
    I would have not suggested this if I thought there was a likelyhood of it causing problems. However, there is always the CHANCE of it causing a problem (most likely because of an error on your part) and I'm of the opinion that it probably won't do any good.

Here's my opinion: Your system is degraded right now because of the transparent menus. If you wipe the drive and start over you will get valuable experience. If you try loading the dependencies and it fixes the problem, you have helped everyone who has the same problem. If it doesn't fix the problem and doesn't change the performance (the most likely result), you're no worse off than you were AND you've demonstrated that it doesn't work. If the system barfs and refuses to work, well you can always start over. It's a low risk experiment with a small chance of a big reward - If it works, for years we will be telling people to use "The Mr. Deke fix for transparent menus".

I understand that you put in a lot of work hacking the system the first time. What you don't realise is how easy it will be the second time.

PlainBill

... It's a low risk experiment with a small chance of a big reward - If it works, for years we will be telling people to use "The Mr. Deke fix for transparent menus".
    Hasn't this been done before? [reference]. You'll probably have to follow ADH's advice and set the ServerVersion's to zero.