Thread: Ready to hack HDVR-2 running 6.2

Ready to hack HDVR-2 running 6.2

Hi all,

My hard drive died this weekend, so that seemed like a good excuse to start hacking. I was able to get the tivo going on a spare 60GB drive I had laying around by booting a knoppix cd w/mfstools and then putting a "found" clean 6.2 image on there. So tivo is back in action.

So in a spare PC I've got a nice new Seagate 120GB (also picked up a Linksys USB200M) drive with a clean 6.2 install on it.

As I understand it, my first step is to get "killhdinitrd" and apply that hack to this drive.

So far I have figured out (by reading old threads) that once the initial hack to get around the PROM protection is done, I can simply move on to something like the 6.2 "superpatch". Basically, I feel like the battle will be mostly won when I can get this thing on the network.

What I need is tools and software, and I'm having a real tough time finding these in a "forum". I would love to see "wiki.dealdatabase.com" (hint hint).

So if I understand things, Tivo software numbering does not always follow the kernel numbering, correct? Where is the main distribution point for killhdinitrd? 6.2 uses kernel 2.4.20 which is, I think, the same kernel in an older Tivo release?

So let me just stop there. 6.2, killhdinitrd. Pointers to where you get killhdinitrd, which probably also has some information on what kernels it can be applied to, and how to apply it.

Thanks!

Let's see, there's a STICKY called "killhdinitrd 0.9.x Support Thread" that might have a link and some observations for you. And a whole forum called "FILES - All TiVo & DTiVo Files" that you might find some interesting stuff in.....

ew

Quote Originally Posted by monttivo
    What I need is tools and software, and I'm having a real tough time finding these in a "forum". I would love to see "wiki.dealdatabase.com" (hint hint).
    Here's one. Kind of stale, and seems to be attracting spam rather than real content these days.
    So if I understand things, Tivo software numbering does not always follow the kernel numbering, correct? Where is the main distribution point for killhdinitrd? 6.2 uses kernel 2.4.20 which is, I think, the same kernel in an older Tivo release?
    Correct. A number of different tivo software versions use a 2.4.20 kernel. 6.2 is one of them. 3.1.5 is another.
    So let me just stop there. 6.2, killhdinitrd. Pointers to where you get killhdinitrd, which probably also has some information on what kernels it can be applied to, and how to apply it.
    killhdinitrd can be found here with support thread here.

The only 2.4.20 kernel supported by killhdinitrd is the 3.1.5 kernel. Here's some ideas on where to find that kernel.

Here's a good thread with info and tips on 6.2 hacking.

Most of this stuff can be found with a little searching. This thread has some useful search tips at the end; Look for (S1).

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    Let's see, there's a STICKY called "killhdinitrd 0.9.x Support Thread" that might have a link and some observations for you. And a whole forum called "FILES - All TiVo & DTiVo Files" that you might find some interesting stuff in.....
    Trust me, I have 12 open browser windows I can show you with all sorts of stickies. Many are out of date, and I was unsure whether there was a newer killhdinitrd that directly patched the stock 6.2 kernel. I'm not dim, but IMHO a forum is good for discussions, but really sucky for information retrieval.

This process is hard not because it's hard to understand, it's hard because you have to dig so much for simple info. I'm far from being a unix n00b.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    The only 2.4.20 kernel supported by killhdinitrd is the 3.1.5 kernel. Here's some ideas on where to find that kernel.
    Sadly I think that guy must have gotten slapped down by either Tivo or the people that make a business of selling software. I did end up finding some random kernel posted on the boards. It patched OK, but I have no idea where it actually came from. It works, but I'd rather have started with a "known clean" one.

Anyhow I guess in summation I'd have to say that the two hardest parts were finding the base 6.2 software (my previous drive was dead) and then the kernel. Once I found the mfstools ISO (http://mfstools.sf.net) and found that it could mount tivo partitions I knew things were turning around. I now can telnet in, so I'm on my way. Still running on a 60GB backup drive since I'm going to find more mips-compiled utilities to put on there. I've been saving stuff off to a flash drive, then pulling it and mounting it on the mfstools-booted pc w/the hacked 120GB drive.

Still have a few curious issues:

-the 60GB unhacked drive I have in the tivo surprised me today. I noticed that the usb200m dongle had a link light. I then swept my subnet and found that the tivo had acquired an IP and was pingable. No services running on it, but it's on the net. So on my hacked tivo, do I actually need to be insmod'ing the usb ethernet stuff? Or has tivo/dtv enabled usb and networking for some odd reason?

-is the "superpatch" pretty much the way to go at this point? Is there any advantage in searching for a ton of hacks and applying them one at a time?

-is there any sticky here that tries to collect and link to all software that is only hosted at dealdatabase?

-who runs this place and would they like any assistance in getting an authenticated wiki up and running? Or something that could auto-aggregate posted software onto a single page?

Quote Originally Posted by monttivo
    Trust me, I have 12 open browser windows I can show you with all sorts of stickies. Many are out of date, and I was unsure whether there was a newer killhdinitrd that directly patched the stock 6.2 kernel. I'm not dim, but IMHO a forum is good for discussions, but really sucky for information retrieval.

This process is hard not because it's hard to understand, it's hard because you have to dig so much for simple info. I'm far from being a unix n00b.
    No, you need a 3.1.5 kernel (v2.4.20) to compromise, but it will be able to run the 6.2 software (you don't need to monte to the 6.2 version of the 2.4.20 kernel). Or you can get one of the other ones listed and monte to a 2.4.20 kernel.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    No, you need a 3.1.5 kernel (v2.4.20) to compromise, but it will be able to run the 6.2 software (you don't need to monte to the 6.2 version of the 2.4.20 kernel). Or you can get one of the other ones listed and monte to a 2.4.20 kernel.
    Yeah, my brain already filters the word "monte", so I'm good to go.

I did find a random kernel pulled from Tivo sw ver. 3.1.5, the kernel was 2.4.20 and killhdinitrd patched it with no problem. Finding the kernel, that was the bitch.

I hesitate to point out the Image Begging Thread. Yes, the guy who started it is no longer here, and it is very long. Hoever, if you start at the end and work toward the beginning (yes, I agree, non-intuitive) you will find pointers to images and kernels that are currently available at no charge.

Also, don't ignore the Files forum. Unless you are opposed to busybox, AlphaWolf has collected an excellent set of utilities, which he frequently updates.

Lastly, if you read the 'Upgrading to 6.2' thread (in the Series 2 Support forum) you would find the answers to most of your questions in one fairly short thread.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.