Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New, but not a noob...looking for pointers

New, but not a noob...looking for pointers

First thing...I'm a longtime forum reader (this and many others), so I understand the ideas of reading the stickies and lurking to learn. I turned 30 this year, and have worked in I/T for the past 12 of them...I'm not a kid, and I know my way around hardware and most OSes (Mac excluded :P), including Linux.

Here's what I have:
    RCA-DVR40 S2 DirecTivo, bone stock, that has not called home in 320 days (since I dumped SBC for Vonage)
    Current TivoSW = 3.1.1e
    Netgear MA-101 USB1.1-to-802.11b Ethernet adapter
    Western Digital WD1200JB (120GB), still in the plastic
    One badass PC that I built myself, complete with a Knoppix 3.9 CD

Here's what I want:
    Replace the 40GB drive with my 120GB unit. Apparently a bracket is needed to mount dual drives, so I'm not really interested...I'll just shelve the 40 gigger someplace.
    Tivo v4.0.1b, with nifty folder capability
    Telnet and FTP access to the box, to move shows to PC and maybe burn to DVD
    Ideally, I'd like to keep my current recordings and season passes in the transition.

Here's what I've gathered:
    From all the threads I've read so far, killhdinitrd seems to be the way to go. Obviously, I'll need to copy everything from the original drive to the new, larger one as a first step. I'm not certain if I need to hack the 3.1.1e version first or just move to the 4.0.1b and hack that.

I hesitate to even post this, as it seems fundamental, but many of the stickies I've read are a year or more old, so I'd like the freshest info as I take this on.

Feel free to be as technical as you like...I'm quite proficient with Linux and don't need my hand held. I'd just like someone to point to the correct pathway for my needs amid this complete maze of old and irrelevant info. Someone mentioned in one of the newbie threads that I should read everything until I'm crosseyed...trust me, I hit that point a long time ago!

Skip 4.01b (it's for Stand Alones) and let your DTiVo upgrade to 6.2 before hacking.

ew

Moved to Newbie

I always get a bad feeling when someone starts by posting his resume. EW is correct, forget 4.0.1.

These five threads will get you started on 6.2.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 09-18-2005 at 11:11 PM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    I always get a bad feeling when someone starts by posting his resume. EW is correct, forget 4.0.1.

These four threads will get you started on 6.2.

PlainBill
    Thanks, fellas...this is precisely what I was looking for. A bit disappointing to know I've spent the last couple of days reading old stickies re:v3 and v4 software, though. Kinda defeats the purpose of stickies at all.

Sorry about the "resume" posting. The point certainly wasn't to brag or impress, just to convey that I'm not a 'script kiddie' and that folks should feel free to respond to me as technically explicitly as they would like.

I'm taking EW's advice...found my 50-foot RJ-11 cord and ran it to my router to let the box make a forced call. Presuming it upgrades to v6 software, I'll pick up the hacking process from there.

Ugh...should've known it wouldn't be that friggin' simple. Of course the box can't call home over a Vonage line

Heaven forbid I be so arrogant as to think I could completely uncouple my house from the SBC teat and not suffer repercussions.

At this point, I'm thinking the best course of action is to obtain the 6.2 slices, pull the drive from the DTivo, write the slices onto it, put it back and let it update...then pull it again, copy it to the 120GB drive, hack it and go from there.

Opinions?

It'd probably be simpler to just get a clean 6.2 image and set it up on the 120GB drive, but there's a bunch of stuff I'd rather not lose on the little 40-gigger.

I see you have three options: 1.Take the DirecTiVo to a house that has a conventional phone line and force a call.
    2. Hack the present software, download the slices (a comprehensive set is on eMule), upload them and rehack.
    3. Get a 6.2 image and load that on a drive. As you've indicated, this will result in a loss of recordings.

If you've got a buddy, option 1 is the easiest. I wouldn't use option 3 unless I had nothing on the drive I wanted to keep.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Looks like I'm in for option #2.

I'm following Dellanave's 6.2 slice upgrade guide...thanks to those BT users nice enough to keep seeding!

His guide appears pretty straightforward. From what I've read, my RCA DVR40 uses the service # 321 slices. It would certainly be nice if I already had bash/ftp access...looks like I could upgrade without pulling the drive. C'est la vie, non?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Deschain
    Looks like I'm in for option #2.

I'm following Dellanave's 6.2 slice upgrade guide...thanks to those BT users nice enough to keep seeding!

His guide appears pretty straightforward. From what I've read, my RCA DVR40 uses the service # 321 slices. It would certainly be nice if I already had bash/ftp access...looks like I could upgrade without pulling the drive. C'est la vie, non?
    You'll always have to pull the drive to get the initial hack done to compromise the chain of trust. In your case (which is exactly identical to what I did), you just need to hack it at 3.1.1e with a 3.1.1c killhdinitrd'd kernel, and turn on bash and networking. (And bootpage while you're at it.) Everything else you can then do remotely.

Actually, what I did was:
    • Hack 3.1.1e enough to get remote access
    • Install S2_unscramble so I could pull off the critical shows
    • Disable the monte and verify everything is OK
    • Upgrade via slices
    • Install mfs_ftp, tivoweb, and all the other crap I want
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

OK, noob question time:

I'm in the process of mirroring my 40GB drive to the 120GB drive (mfsbackup | mfsrestore), keeping the 3.1.1e software.

Before I put the new drive in the box and fire it up, I'd like to get some basic hacks (USB WLAN, telnet/bash, ftp) on it so that I can send my 6.2 slices over.

I was toying with the idea of just upping to 6.2 and hacking it with a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel before putting it back in the DTivo box...then I started reading about the problems people had getting SSID's configured when they didn't already exist.

So, I'm thinking I need to hack the present 3.1.1e software with a 3.1.1c kernel to get the 802.11b configured, then slice it up to 6.2.

The problem is...the only virgin kernel image I can find is a 3.1.5. For the life of me, I cannot locate a 3.1.1c kernel online anywhere. (The FTP site mentioned in numerous threads here always gives failed login error).

My question: Can I use a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel with the 3.1.1e software? Seems unlikely to me, but I thought I'd ask.

If not, is the 3.1.1e software using the 3.1.1c kernel? If so, that's great, as I'm starting from an unhacked 3.1.1e drive (saving the drive, too) and I can just pull the kernel off that.

If that's not the case, can anyone point me to a virgin 3.1.1c kernel that I killhdinitrd myself to hack the 3.1.1e software?

Or (IDEAL!), someone please tell me that all the issues regarding initial wireless LAN configuration with 6.2 have been resolved and I can just slice this thing up to 6.2 while it's still in my PC and use the 3.1.5 kernel I already have!

Sorry, you WILL have to hack it at 3.1.1e (OK some of the geniuses like alldeadhomiez, AlphaWolf, Jamie, and others whose names I can't recall might be able to do it, but the easy way is in the DirecTiVo).

Pointers to sources for kernels is on the next to last page of the Backup Image begging thread. Since you will already have the drive out of the TiVo, I suggest installing a killhdinitrd 3.1.1c kernel, putting in a minimal rc.sysinit.author (just enough to give you bash access via the serial port), loading AlphaWolf's Series 2 Binaries, and putting the slices in /var (partition 9 - but NOT in /var/packages - it's been tried ). (also put a killhdinitrd 3.1.5 kernel in /var and edit installSw.itcl).

Put the drive back in the DirecTiVo, and once it boots you should have access via a serial cable. Use gzip to extract the slices, dbload to load them, run installSw.itcl, then when it completes you can install the utilities and rc.sysinit.author in the new root partition, rename netfilter-enable, dd the 3.1.5 kernel to the new kernel partition, and reboot.

At this point you should have a system running 6.2 with network enabled, and some base utilities available. I suggest reading and rereading the instructions in the Upgrading to 6.2 thread until you understand what is going on - and why.

PlainBill

Thanks, Bill!

Another question (as my mfsrestore rolls to 67%): Is it not worthwhile to enable networking in the 3.1.1 hack? I intend to give the DTivo a static IP (DHCP is disabled in my router...don't ask, just believe me when I say the Vonage box WRT54GP2 has issues with DHCP and the Thinkpads I own) using the Netgear MA101 USB->802.11b adapter.

I ask because I haven't got a serial cable, and would rather not incur the delay in making one.

EDIT: If asking for wireless out of the gate is too much, I also have a USB->Ethernet (wired) adapter and a 75-foot length of Cat-5. I gather from reading here that it's just a matter of getting the appropriate USB and network drivers loaded, regardless of which kernel you're using.
    Last edited by Roland Deschain; 09-19-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Deschain
    Thanks, Bill!

Another question (as my mfsrestore rolls to 67%): Is it not worthwhile to enable networking in the 3.1.1 hack? I intend to give the DTivo a static IP (DHCP is disabled in my router...don't ask, just believe me when I say the Vonage box WRT54GP2 has issues with DHCP and the Thinkpads I own) using the Netgear MA101 USB->802.11b adapter.

I ask because I haven't got a serial cable, and would rather not incur the delay in making one.

EDIT: If asking for wireless out of the gate is too much, I also have a USB->Ethernet (wired) adapter and a 75-foot length of Cat-5. I gather from reading here that it's just a matter of getting the appropriate USB and network drivers loaded, regardless of which kernel you're using.
    In my experience, having a serial cable is a lot like having a reserve parachute - you may not need it, but when you do, it's REALLY nice to have on hand.

Getting networking running on 6.2 is a piece of cake - rename netfilter-enable; start the telnet daemon in rc.sysinit.author (or elsewhere); and plug in a supported wired adapter. With 3.1.1e you have to copy over the drivers, insmod them and set the ip address, etc. In short, something of a pain if you need them for less than 15 minutes. HOWEVER it is easy to do.

My suggestion: Since you don't have a dhcp server, go ahead and set up the wired adapter in 3.1.1e. Then use the same adapter initially with 6.2. Once you get 6.2 cooking, you can set up your wireless adapter and put the 75 foot cable away. If things go wrong, and you have to pull the drive to fix a networking problem I'll cheerfully say "I told you so"!!

PlainBill

Results of my first hack...

Well, I have to call this a controlled failure, but not a total waste. I'd appreciate input from anyone who has a moment to look over what I did and tell me if you spot any glaring errors or omissions.

WHAT WENT RIGHT:
    The transition from the 40GB drive to the 120GB drive using mfsbackup | restore.

WHAT DID NOT GO RIGHT:
    Basically everything else...no way of really knowing until I take Bill's advice and build myself a reserve chute (serial cable).

The unit works, sees all 120GB, etc, etc...but both of the indicator lights on my Netgear MA101 remain dark.

After the mfsbackup/restore, here's what I did:

1) Grabbed two kernels from the FTP site linked near the end of the begging thread. A notice on the site warns that they are already hacked with killhdinitrd. I grabbed the 3.1.1c and 3.1.5 kernels onto my RHEL3 box and ran killihdinitrd just for grins. It didn't abort, but the resulting files were identical to the originals, according to the diff command. Who knows.

2) Used pdisk-l /dev/hda to map partitions, found I could mount the hda7 root. Copied my 3.1.1c kernel over to /var/ddb.
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda3 (and then again on /dev/hda6)
    dd if=/var/ddb/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda3 (and then again on /dev/hda6)

3) Created /tivo-bin and extracted AlphaWolf's utilities tarball into it.

4) Grabbed the 20050916 rev. of Jamie's backported drivers. Copied the .../obj/drivers/2.4.4/*.o files to /lib/hack.

5) Created and CHMOD 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
    I meant to copy it to floppy so I could post here, but forgot. Here's the gist:
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash

export PATH and other environment vars

insmod /lib/hack/usbcore.o
    insmod /lib/hack/usb-dhci.o
    insmod /lib/hack/at76_usbdfu.o
    insmod /lib/modules/lib/at76c503.o
    insmod /lib/modules/lib/at76c503-rfmd.o netdev_name=wlan0
    sleep 10

ifconfig wlan0 192.168.15.200 broadcast 192.168.15.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add default gw 192.168.15.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 metric 1
    sleep 10

WIRELESS=yes
    WIRELESS_AP=my:ap:ma:ca:dd:rs
    WIRELESS_CHANNEL=4
    WIRELESS_MODE=Managed
    WIRELESS_RATE=Auto

/bin/bash < ttyS2& > ttyS2&
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &

tivoftpd
    6) As prep for the future upgrade to 6.2, I put the appropriate slices onto the drive in /var/ddb and modified the /tvbin/installSW.itcl file as directed using vi. I also copied over my hacked 3.1.5 kernel and NutKase's superpatch-67all-1.1.zip for the upgrade.

IN HINDSIGHT

I think I forgot to copy the *.o files from .../obj/hosts/2.4.4 in Jamie's release, which means the lines calling the first 2 drivers point nowhere. Shit.

I also think I forgot to include the word "up" in my ifconfig line. I'm not sure if that's critical or not, but I have a sneaky suspicion it might be.

I may pull the drive again tomorrow and fix these errors I'm recalling, as it takes about as much time as a trip to WallyWorld to get the stuff I'll need for the serial cable. Then again, I'll probably need the damned thing sooner or later anyhow, so...

Anyhow, input will be appreciated.

You knew this was going to happen - I told you to build a serial cable!!!

PlainBill