Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: TiVoFlash, Killhdinitrd, and kill_initrd

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer
    OK, fair enough. I do seem vaguely to recall the dual tuner capability was added some time after the unit was purchased. (The unit sat collecting dust in the closet for several months until I drove out to my sister's house and installed the dish.) The question is, "Does the S1 DTiVo require TiVoFlash since its dual tuners are (now) working?" Put another way, does TiVoFlash do something more than enable dual tuner support, or is it required for other hacks even though the dual tuner code has already been downloaded and installed? If not, then I'm not at all sure why I'm bothering with TiVoFlash.
    Well, there are two possibilities: Tivoflash ONLY enables dual tuner support; or TiVoflash enables dual tuner support AND bypasses the signature check on the kernel.

    It's real easy to check this out: Extract the kernel from your system, run killinitrd (OK! kill_initrd) on a copy of it, then copy the patched kernel back to the drive and see if it boots. Of course, if it doesn't, you'll have to pull the drive, copy a good kernel back, run TiVoFlash, pull the drive, copy a patched kernel again - well, you get the picture.

    PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

    "You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

    HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    831

    Ad nauseum

    Yeah, I get your point. The only reason I evben ask is that it's a two hour drive to my sister's and back, so it would be nice to have everything ready before I leave. If I have to run TiVoFlash first, however, then the rest of the hacks have to wait until after I get down there, as opposed to being able to just install the new drive and button everything up. My time is rather limited, especially with a force 5 hurricane headed my way and due to work its way near here on Saturday.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer
    Yeah, I get your point. The only reason I evben ask is that it's a two hour drive to my sister's and back, so it would be nice to have everything ready before I leave. If I have to run TiVoFlash first, however, then the rest of the hacks have to wait until after I get down there, as opposed to being able to just install the new drive and button everything up. My time is rather limited, especially with a force 5 hurricane headed my way and due to work its way near here on Saturday.
    Well, if you didn't live in a place where everything is so far apart...

    Seriously, unless you are an unusually calm person, TiVo hacking is best done when you have plenty of time.

    PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

    "You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

    HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    831

    Texas and other small things

    Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Well, if you didn't live in a place where everything is so far apart...
    If I can shoot my neighbor with a high powered rifle... he's too close.

    Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Seriously, unless you are an unusually calm person, TiVo hacking is best done when you have plenty of time.l
    Oh, I know very well. I've hacked a few TiVos. In fact, I spent 12 hours hacking my sister's Tivo last week and getting nowhere until I realized the DTiVo power-up screen takes longer to disappear than the SA TiVo, which only takes a few seconds. By then I had already spent all night messing with it and reverted to an unhacked, small (40G) drive unit. It was 02:00 AM and I had to drive home, so I took the backup image home with me, and now I've transferred it to a 160G drive, expanded the image and done the TiVoFlash on it.

    That's why I started this thread. I'd like to do as much as possible before jumping in the car and stay down there as briefly as possible. Swapping the drive, chatting a few minutes, and leaving would be ideal - but there's little chance of it going THAT smoothly. Still, any steps I can take now...
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    831

    Time after Time

    Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    TiVo hacking is best done when you have plenty of time.l
    Oh, and when would that be? I don't think I'll live into the next century.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    6,413
    The way I see it is if you have the time to watch it you've got the time to hack it. Hacking the Tivo is the easy part. The time consuming phase is the learning curve, but that can be done at your own pace and as time allows. Too many newbies come here wanting it done yesterday and have no patience for learning.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    831

    Time in a bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    The way I see it is if you have the time to watch it you've got the time to hack it.
    You've got that right. 'Problem is, I don't have time to watch. There are about 100 shows sitting waiting right now...
    Last edited by lrhorer; 09-22-2005 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Misspelling
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •