Thread: B Drive Failure, Removed it, Can't Reboot

Question B Drive Failure, Removed it, Can't Reboot

My B drive failed, I have a replacement on the way (Thanks Maxtor for the 3 yr. warranty!).

I tried removing B and rebooting with only the A drive so I could use Tivo while waiting. It got to the almost there screen then went back to the initial screen. I tried putting the bad B drive back in, because it at least booted before and I thought I could retrieve some recorded shows from A to burn to dvd. Now it won't boot that way either - gets stuck on the initial screen.

Q1: How do I get Tivo running again with only an A drive?

Q2: How do I get Tivo running with this A drive and the new B drive? Note that A is 80GB and B is 160GB. If I have to start all over, should I make the larger one the A drive?

Thanks for taking time to help.

In a two drive TiVo, if either drive experiences a problem, the unit will not work. Also in a two drive unit, TiVo software considers the two drives as one so if one is removed it will not work. Good chance you are going to lose your recorded data regardless. Backup image needs to be made from both drives at once which may or may not work with current bad drive, then restore to either one or two drives. If backup will not work then you will need to get a good image from somebody else for your machine before restoring.

funtoupgrade

Quote Originally Posted by winetraveler
    My B drive failed, I have a replacement on the way (Thanks Maxtor for the 3 yr. warranty!).

I tried removing B and rebooting with only the A drive so I could use Tivo while waiting. It got to the almost there screen then went back to the initial screen. I tried putting the bad B drive back in, because it at least booted before and I thought I could retrieve some recorded shows from A to burn to dvd. Now it won't boot that way either - gets stuck on the initial screen.

Q1: How do I get Tivo running again with only an A drive?

Q2: How do I get Tivo running with this A drive and the new B drive? Note that A is 80GB and B is 160GB. If I have to start all over, should I make the larger one the A drive?

Thanks for taking time to help.
    If your TiVo originally had only one drive, you'll be able to use the TiVo with the original drive or a single drive restored from the original backup. You need to supply more information to get more help. What was the original configuration? What model TiVo? SA or DTiVo? Anything else that might make your situation special.

ew

Configuration info

You need to supply more information to get more help. What was the original configuration? What model TiVo? SA or DTiVo? Anything else that might make your situation special.

It originally had one drive (the 80GB A drive). It is Series 2.
    I made a back up before adding the second drive, but I can't find it.

I saw something about divorcing drives in a post somewhere. Is that an option?

---------
    New info: I found the backup. However it is from 11/4/04 - Before the tivotogo and other system updates. Should I use it or find a more recent image?
    Last edited by winetraveler; 09-30-2005 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winetraveler
    You need to supply more information to get more help. What was the original configuration? What model TiVo? SA or DTiVo? Anything else that might make your situation special.

It originally had one drive (the 80GB A drive). It is Series 2.
    I made a back up before adding the second drive, but I can't find it.

I saw something about divorcing drives in a post somewhere. Is that an option?
    Might be an option, but I think you need both drives working (could be wrong about that--I've never done it).
    You might find an image from the Image Begging Thread.

ew

I have the same problem with a Phillips DSR7000 DirecTivo whose B drive has failed. The unit was originally a single drive and was upgraded to two by the person I bought it from.

How do I get operating again?

Thanks,
    ++PLS

Update on progress and lessons learned

The easiest way to go back to a single drive system is to restore a backup of a single drive system from tivo.bak. Mine was almost a year old. So I restored it to the A drive and put it back in the Tivo and waited for Tivo to download the new operating system. Then I updated my settings to more or less what they were before the crash. I had a lot of trouble with the channels and had to go through guided set up for them several times before it finally "took". They have some new screens for setting up premium channels, etc. that weren't in the backup and I'm guessing some new ways of storing those results.

I lost the recorded shows, but I had copied most of them off as the old system was dying because I could still access the shows over the network even though Tivo wouldn't work to control the TV.

Now I'm going to make a new backup of the single drive system and keep that in case something else happens. I think I'll try to make a new backup more often.

After that, I'm going to restore the new backup to my new large drive rather than the old smaller A drive because (according to Hinsdale) "that gives Tivo a means to increase the swap file so that the built-in Tivo repair utility (GSOD) can complete if ever triggered". Then I'll mfsadd the old drive as the new secondary drive.

Quote Originally Posted by pls
    I have the same problem with a Phillips DSR7000 DirecTivo whose B drive has failed. The unit was originally a single drive and was upgraded to two by the person I bought it from.

How do I get operating again?

Thanks,
    ++PLS
    See my notes on progress. If you can access your tivo over your network before taking it apart you have a chance to retrieve some of your recordings.

See if you can get a single drive backup from the person you bought it from. If not, you'll have to try the image begging thread, or just pay Weaknees or 9th tee to do it for you.

Once you get it open, see what kind of drive it has and go to their web site to check on the warranty.