Thread: Network Problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Network Problems

I've moved the thread here, where it is on-topic. It's possible the USB adapter is flaky. If you can get your hands on another, even temporarily, you might try swapping it. You could also try hooking the TiVo directly to your PC, as I said before, and run Ethereal. This will show you what packets are going across the link. If there are a bunch of garbage packets, then the USB adapter is probably fried.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Quote Originally Posted by 94SupraTT
    Yes its a multiport router with a built in switch. I've tried multiple ports and still no success. Heck I even tried another to pull with another PC on the lan. No luck. Another thing I noticed is for some reason the port my Tivo is on is constantly having activity as of lately. I don't understand why because it lights up even when I am not transfering.

The only other USB adapter I have is 1.0

I guess I could try the adapter out on my laptop to see if it is able to connect to other PCs through it. I'll see how well it transfers files over the LAN.
    SD-DVR40/160GB/4.0.1b/superpatch/usb2/tytool/ms_ftp/tivowebplus
    HR10-250 (stock) as of 12-9-05
    HR10-250/superpatch/usb2/tserver/tivoweb
    DirecTivo R10 (stock)
    "Test drive"60GB/6.2/superpatch/usb2/tytool/hmo/extracted scrambled shows with kernel & tools found here.

94Supra formerly TT now one T

Moret tests

Is the adapter powered from the USB port? If not, does it still send packets when the TiVo is disconnected from the adapter? Otherwise, does it send packets when attached to your laptop, but you have no transfers going on?

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer
    Is the adapter powered from the USB port? If not, does it still send packets when the TiVo is disconnected from the adapter? Otherwise, does it send packets when attached to your laptop, but you have no transfers going on?
    1. Yes its powered by the USB port.
    2. I haven't tried it on my laptop. I'll let you know.
    DirecTivo R10 (stock)
    "Test drive"60GB/6.2/superpatch/usb2/tytool/hmo/extracted scrambled shows with kernel & tools found here.

This is crazy. The problem went away and is now back. I've tried a different USB NIC for the Tivo and that didn't work. I've tried eliminating my router by using my laptop to make a LAN (2 nics in my laptop) and still horrendously slow transfer speeds.
    DirecTivo R10 (stock)

Network Problems

It could be any number of things. You might try getting a TiVo port of the top utility to see if there are processing problems going on. Ethereal (on your PC) might be able to show if packets are getting munged, or if ACKs are being missed, or if there is some sort of other trafic issue. I don't think it's likely, but it's possible there are power problems on the USB port. You might try using a powered hub. What happened when you tried using your laptop point-point?