Thread: JavaHMO problem on Ubuntu

JavaHMO problem on Ubuntu

I can't seem to get JavaHMO started on Ubuntu 5.04.

JRE 1.4 & JAI are installed, but when I go to start JavaHMO (/usr/bin/jhmo gui) I get a message that JRE can't be located and to change JAVA_HOME environment. (JRE 1.4.2_09 shows-up when I do "java -version")

I think the problem is related to the JavaHMO.init. I couldn't find that file after the install (did alien on JavaHMO prm package).

Should there be an 'init' file?

If so, where?

Is there a better way to the java path?

Thanks,

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had similar issues under Mandrivia. I ended up making changes to the Unix init files so that JAVA_HOME was set and the directory was added to the path statement. That got everything working.

In a thing I found they showed making a /usr/java/default directory that was a link to the version of java you wanted to run. That way when you install a new version, you can just change this link to use the version you want. I then used that ./default 'path' for firefox (the plugin) as well so it is easy to change.

Getting closer, but not there yet

Finally, got JavaHMO gui running after setting the JAVA_HOME= variable in the JavaHMO script located in /usr/bin. (Thanks to those that pointed me in the right direction here and elsewhere.)

Now I just need to figure out how to the JavaHMO Server running.
    Last edited by metrounit9; 09-28-2005 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Update