Thread: Apple Partitions Not Visible

Apple Partitions Not Visible

I have a dual drive HDVR2 that died on me. I get the "Welcome. Powering up..." message indefinitely. I attached a serial line and no bash shell. I get a message that repeatedly asks for a password. Next, attempted to mount partitions 4,7 using the MFStools 2.0 boot CD and it failed. Ran pdisk -l /dev/hda and no partitioning info was reported. Just as a sanity check I installed my slave drive and ran pdisk -l and it reported the expected partition info.

Q. Is my installation pretty much fubar? Need to break out my backup? Any way I can keep my programming?

I searched the forum before posting but didn't find any similar problem. If I missed something I apologize...and well flame on. Thanks.
    2 SD-DVR80 -- 2x300 GB, Bash, MRV
    1 SD-DVR80 -- 2x250 GB, Bash, MRV
    1 HR10-250, 550 GB, Bash, I want my MRV

Quote Originally Posted by scottym
    I have a dual drive HDVR2 that died on me. I get the "Welcome. Powering up..." message indefinitely. I attached a serial line and no bash shell. I get a message that repeatedly asks for a password. Next, attempted to mount partitions 4,7 using the MFStools 2.0 boot CD and it failed. Ran pdisk -l /dev/hda and no partitioning info was reported. Just as a sanity check I installed my slave drive and ran pdisk -l and it reported the expected partition info.

Q. Is my installation pretty much fubar? Need to break out my backup? Any way I can keep my programming?

I searched the forum before posting but didn't find any similar problem. If I missed something I apologize...and well flame on. Thanks.
    Try somewhere on the chain besides primary master.

Don't hit any keys on the serial connection if you want to see the boot process (assuming you've told the box to show the boot process). If you didn't you'll need to set some bootpage parameters.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    Try somewhere on the chain besides primary master

ew
    Are you speculating I may have a bad cable or IDE controller. I'd be interested in your opinion if you think my problem may lie elswhere. I was able to mount a different disk as primary master without a problem. I'll try primary slave since it's still a good sanity check. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottym
    Are you speculating I may have a bad cable or IDE controller. I'd be interested in your opinion if you think my problem may lie elswhere. I was able to mount a different disk as primary master without a problem. I'll try primary slave since it's still a good sanity check. Thanks
    No, the original tools for hacking TiVos enabled byteswapping on all drives except primary master. There may not be any problem with it, but most err on the side of caution and only access FAT drives on /dev/hda when working with TiVo boot disks. If you can't get it to work, you might also try the free ptv tools cd as your boot disk. Did you make sure the linux system is recognizing the proper drive size at boot up?

ew

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    No, the original tools for hacking TiVos enabled byteswapping on all drives except primary master.

ew
    That's interesting about the byte swapping. I initially was using a copy of MFStools 2.0.

I had an LBA48 PTVupgrade disk in my collection and tried again on both hda and hdb. The error message I get is "FLOATING POINT ERROR." when I run the pdisk -l command.

I guess it's fubar after all. Thanks for the suggestions.