Thread: Question regarding boot sequence

Question regarding boot sequence

Greetings,

In trying to debug the boot issues I'm having, I've seen reference to using the serial cable. However, is not the 'Welcome. Powering up' message the equivalent of POST on a pc? Isn't that all being run out of BIOS, before the disk is accessed? And does the serial port 'work' while it's POST'ing?

Sorry if this a redunant question...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by amatin
    Greetings,

In trying to debug the boot issues I'm having, I've seen reference to using the serial cable. However, is not the 'Welcome. Powering up' message the equivalent of POST on a pc? Isn't that all being run out of BIOS, before the disk is accessed? And does the serial port 'work' while it's POST'ing?
    The 'Welcome. Powering up' message is put up by the PROM code, but it stays up until the linux kernel is fully booted and enough software is running to splash the "Almost There" image up onto the screen. This is in the StageC_MediaInitialization stage of the rc scripts. Plenty of stuff can go wrong before that that stage, but it is still PreMFS.

The PROM code has the ability to interact with a serial console even before it boots a kernel. There's a PROM menu available from the serial console, but it's password protected. You can set the password on a working system with "crypto -u -srp <new password here>" . The prom menu is mainly useful for recovery; it allows you to boot from the alternate partition set if you've messed up the primary boot partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    The PROM code has the ability to interact with a serial console even before it boots a kernel. There's a PROM menu available from the serial console, but it's password protected. You can set the password on a working system with "crypto -u -srp <new password here>" . The prom menu is mainly useful for recovery; it allows you to boot from the alternate partition set if you've messed up the primary boot partitions.
    Thanks! I was wondering if I'd get enough (possibly) from the serial connection to find out what's going wrong....I got the 'Welcome..' restart loop *sigh*

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by amatin
    Thanks! I was wondering if I'd get enough (possibly) from the serial connection to find out what's going wrong....I got the 'Welcome..' restart loop *sigh*
    Yes, if you stick the console output options into your bootpage, you'll probably be able to get some clues from the serial console.