Thread: 3.1.5 kernel with version 7.2 problem

3.1.5 kernel with version 7.2 problem

First of all, here's my basic spec:

S2 SA. (the Toshiba dvd model if that matters)
    Tivo Sw upgraded to 7.2 (unhacked in both 7.1x and 7.2)

Now, the problem is when I try to hack it with dd-ing the 3.1.5 kernel into both the hda3 and hda6 as the 7.1 non-monte hack. And I added the bash enabling command into the rc.sysinit. When I plug the drive back into the tivo, I see a lot of "No hash error" and replaced file message flew by on my serial connected screen on my PC. After all those, it rebooted. From then on, it will get stuck in a reboot loop of kernel panic. I used to do this to hack the 7.1a and it works fine. Anyone has any idea what have I done wrong or missed anything important?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by tivosohn
    Anyone has any idea what have I done wrong or missed anything important?
    Sounds like you may be using a virgin 3.1.5 kernel, rather than one with killhdinitrd run on it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Sounds like you may be using a virgin 3.1.5 kernel, rather than one with killhdinitrd run on it.
    DOH! LMAF... Now I felt like an absolute id1ot. Thanks a million, Jamie. I have been digging around my old and new notes and threads and everywhere for 3 days. I forgot I was purposely kept those different versions kernels to be virgin just in case I needed them that way when I downloaded them like almost a year back. And now I spent days on trying to figure out what went wrong and missed out the most fundamental step of killing the damn kernel.

I'm getting ready to rehack my SA Series 2 since it has upgraded itself to 7.2. I've seen conflicting reports about using the 3.1.5 kernel with 7.2 software. Just wanted to check if you were able to succesfully hack using the 3.1.5 kernel. Any other troubles? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishbate
    I'm getting ready to rehack my SA Series 2 since it has upgraded itself to 7.2. I've seen conflicting reports about using the 3.1.5 kernel with 7.2 software. Just wanted to check if you were able to succesfully hack using the 3.1.5 kernel. Any other troubles? Thanks
    So far everything works like a charm for me using the 3.1.5 with 7.2. It was a little human error on my side to screwed up everything. So far I got the machine up with 7.2 and bashed. I am going to try to play with the iptable thing to make my other stuffs like the telnet, ftp, etc. to work like it used to in 7.1. Just one note tho. My "ps" command seems to gave problem working with 7.2. But then, that's not my concern at the moment.