Thread: Tivo HDVR2 and DVD

Tivo HDVR2 and DVD

Ok I did the search thing but didnt come up with what I am looking for. Here is my setup I have 3 HDVR2's running 6.2 all wired and using the HMO features. All is fine but im looking to add something else.

I would like to take all my dvd's and stream them from a NAS server located on my network. Has anyone ever worked on something like this with a Tivo? Is there a plugin or something?

Any advised or feedback would be great. I have no idea if this can be done it just sort of hit me while I was using the HMO.

Thanks
    braz

Nope, never heard of anything like that. And whatever you do, don't look at this thread. http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=44485

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 10-10-2005 at 04:28 PM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

PlainBill,

I'm a little confused by your link. Does superpatch do something that im unaware of. Sorry if this sounds a little noobie. Again all im trying to do is stream dvd files from a shared hard drive on my network.

Thanks again
    braz

Hmm, interesting idea

But not that simple.

Its unlikely you'll get the tivo to directly read your network attached storage (without some serious new code running on the tivo itself).

Check out the tivoserver threads. You may find that you can use it with a middle server talking to your NAS.

chrised,

To be honest im shocked no one else has had the desire to stream DVD files from a pc to the tivo. I would love to have a sub folder on my Now Playing Scren with my entire DVD collection on my tivo but thats just me.

braz

I just wanted to share this, I know its not for the HDVR2 and 6.2 BUT I tought it was close to what I was looking for.

http://customersupport.tivo.safeharb...c/tv251080.htm

Quote Originally Posted by braz
    chrised,

To be honest im shocked no one else has had the desire to stream DVD files from a pc to the tivo. I would love to have a sub folder on my Now Playing Scren with my entire DVD collection on my tivo but thats just me.

braz
    Yeh, I'd like that too on a limited basis, which is why I'm starting to look at the Tivoserver project. I think you could make that work, try reading the whole thread carefully.

There's a downside though.. most DVD movies are 3 or 4 gig, or more. Thats alot of disk space to tie up.

And ripping the DVD, and perhaps transcoding where needed, can take lots of time.

Can get a 400 disk DVD changer for $350 right now. So, unless you need multi-room viewing from the changer, thats a heck of alot cheaper and easier.

Want a really great idea for a new product: Have someone build a 400 disk changer with dual or triple players, network interface, and Tivo MRV protocol support. Allow 2 (or 3) tivo's to fetch movies from the changer on the fly.
    Last edited by chrised; 10-10-2005 at 02:38 PM.

chrised

I tried to read that Tivoserver posted over on soundforge but from what I was reading its sounds like its for a linux box only.

As far as disk space goes its very simple to rip a dvd without all the extras to conserve space but that is a topic for if and when we can get this to work.

The last thing I want to do is rip my dvds to a mpg2 extension.

What page are you reading can you link me ?

braz

chrised

I tried to read that Tivoserver posted over on soundforge but from what I was reading its sounds like its for a linux box only.
    braz
    cygwin enables linux on windows...

chrised

What page are you reading can you link me ?

braz
    start reading here...
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&postcount=303

chrised,

Thanks i did find the thread about an hour ago, I have been reading eversince. My eyes are bleeding here, im on page 18 at the moment and it seems that some of the app is working that is great news!

Im just unclear on some of the file formats... anyway back to reading I go.

braz