Thread: HD DTV Tivo 30 mins buffers questions?

35 HD DTV Tivo 30 mins buffers questions?

I have not found an answer in tivo community only suggestions but non seems to answer it. My question is what determine the tivo to buffers the channels that I am watching. I thought it was suppose to buffer the last 2 channels that I've switched to but this is not the case.
    For instance, I am watching fox, switch to cbs, I would expect the tivo to buffer fox while I am watching cbs and vice versa. This is not the case. If I switch to another channel like abc from cbs, you would expect it to buffer abc and cbs but this is not the case. If I press info and down button, it still show fox as he buffer channel, not cbs. The only way I can get rid of Fox is to prentend I am recording something from abc and the switch the channel to cbs, this will in turn buffer cbs and fox. To make a story short, is there a way for me to control which channel I like to buffer? I like for it to buffer the last 2 channels but this is not always the case and I can't seem to find a better way of controlling it without recording. Thanks.

Have you tried using the "Live TV" button to swap between tuners?

Quote Originally Posted by sangleweb
    I have not found an answer in tivo community only suggestions but non seems to answer it. My question is what determine the tivo to buffers the channels that I am watching. I thought it was suppose to buffer the last 2 channels that I've switched to but this is not the case.
    For instance, I am watching fox, switch to cbs, I would expect the tivo to buffer fox while I am watching cbs and vice versa. This is not the case. If I switch to another channel like abc from cbs, you would expect it to buffer abc and cbs but this is not the case. If I press info and down button, it still show fox as he buffer channel, not cbs. The only way I can get rid of Fox is to prentend I am recording something from abc and the switch the channel to cbs, this will in turn buffer cbs and fox. To make a story short, is there a way for me to control which channel I like to buffer? I like for it to buffer the last 2 channels but this is not always the case and I can't seem to find a better way of controlling it without recording. Thanks.
    Seems like you just need to change the channel on the one that you want to get rid of. DTiVo will buffer (AFAIK) the last channel tuned in on each tuner. If you tune the CBS tuner to ABC, you'll still be buffering FOX on the other tuner. And if you want to pick up where you left off, use the PAUSE key.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by chrised
    Have you tried using the "Live TV" button to swap between tuners?
    That or the down arrow. I remember when I first got my TIVO that this feature was the worst documented 'how to do'. After you do a swtich (LIVE or DWN ARROW) the last channel will switch between them. But if you just type in a channel number it will change channel on the current tuner and you will start a new buffer.

When you are recording one channel, a switch to another channel is an automatic switch of tuners.

(Actually the info button will also show you what is playing on the ohter tuner and you can switch there. I use the smaller banner though as I don't like the big one)

There is the LAST channel button. IT STAYS ON THE SAME TUNER. so your buffer is lost

So use your LIVE TV button as stated by someone to switch tuners.

So if you are watching a ball game and dont want to lose the buffer, you have to hit live tv and turn to channel and start surfing. Now to go back to game, hit live tv and there it is. So you have to hit live TV again to switch back to the tuner you were using to surf to maintain your buffer.

whew
    2 HR20-100's with OTA (Thank GOD I didnt get a HR21)
    3 HDVR2's with 6.2, Sub'd, Hacked and 160 gig Seagates.
    1 HR10-250 with 250 WD and 300 Seagate, fully Hacked
    3 HDVR2's with 6.2, Hacked and 160 gig Seagates.
    Who doesnt have 7 Tivos? and with 5 computers, contain 2 Terabytes of storage medium in their house??
    Thanks to all who makes up DDB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've tried all ways but still...

I've tried live, arrow down, info but nothing seems to get rid of the buffers unless I hit rec button on the channel I want and switch to another that I want.
    If you guys try this you will see what I am talking about.
    View your buffers channel, let's say if your current channels are cbs and abc, now that you want to buffer fox and espn, try to turn to fox, then espn, hit the live, arrow down, or info -> down ->select button which ever way, this will either bring you back cbs or abc, not espn or fox as you expected since they were the last 2 channels that you were watching. So the only way I can get rid of the buffers for cbs or abc it hit a rec button on either espn or fox, this will allow me to have too new buffered channels. This is the only way I found so far to let me choose which channel to buffer.

Try this scenario:
    Tuner 1: CBS
    Tuner 2: ABC
    Currently watching CBS

(numbers for DirecTV)
    press 206 enter, now the current tuner you are watching has ESPN.
    press LIVE
    (you should now see ABC, if you don't, you didn't have it set right to start with)
    press 360 enter, tuner 2 will now have FOX News

Now, let me ask a dumb question, if you have direcTV, you do have two sat lines running to the box, right?

I see now, I have to go abc and swap the channel. All this time I only swap the channel from one tuner, no wonder it does not work.