Thread: 6.2 reboots - trying to upgrade?

6.2 reboots - trying to upgrade?

Hello all,

I had quite a fun time hacking my HDVR-2 running 6.2 (now at 6.2-01-2-321 to be exact) and have everything mostly as I'd like it. So everyone's on the same page, here's what's been done:

-6.2 image from BT (alphawolf 6.2 image - last drive died, so needed clean software anyhow)
    -killhdinitrd applied
    -latest superpatch (very nice)
    -lots of extra unix cli utils
    -tnlited
    -openssh
    -mips-ftpd
    -mfs_ftp
    -vserver (for use with http://www.tivotool.com/)
    -latest tivowebplus

Everything works well, except for one small problem. Every few days when I'm watching things and sometimes even when something is being recorded, the box will abruptly reboot. The first few times it just did this while I was watching something (usually late at night). The last few times I caught it giving me the "tivo needs to upgrade software..." and I select the "wait til later" option.

What I'm hoping here is that the reboots are not due to some software failure, running out of swap, etc. but perhaps something I've forgotten to hack/disable. I DO have the bootpage set like so:
    Code:
    Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false
    (and I am curious about that "nonideturbo" line).

Am I missing something else?

The box is making calls via the 'net since I kind of wore myself out getting all the info I needed to get to this point and I'm just not clear on how to kill the calls. I don't mind sending Tivo my info as far as viewing habits, but if it's telling them "hey, this dtv box has HMO enabled and is running funny software", I'd like to prevent that. Although I would imagine stopping all "calls" would probably look equally suspicious.

I do have the following in the logs, which gives me hope as it looks like it is rebooting for a reason:

Code:
    root@tivo:/var/log $ grep -i reboot *|more            
    Otclient:Oct 12 08:03:57 (none) tcphonehome[147]: (Log rotation was performed on reboot)
    Otclient:Oct 12 11:02:05 (none) tcphonehome[2229]: PhoneHome::CreateRebootChore: confirm = 1 
    Otclient:Oct 12 11:02:05 (none) comm[2229]: Waiting until 2AM to look for a good time to reboot
    Otclient:Oct 13 06:00:01 (none) comm[2960]: Waiting until the system is idle to reboot
    Otclient:Oct 13 06:00:10 (none) comm[2960]: RebootChore: TCD is idle.  Can reboot now.
    Otclient:Oct 13 06:00:10 (none) comm[2960]: RebootChore: reboot is true
    Otclient:Oct 13 06:00:10 (none) comm[2960]: RebootChore: confirmM is 1
    Otclient:Oct 13 06:00:10 (none) comm[2960]: RebootChore: calling FUserOkaysReboot
    Otvlog:Oct 13 06:00:10 (none) comm[2960]: RebootChore: rebooting (software install)...
    tclient:Oct 13 06:02:55 (none) tcphonehome[147]: (Log rotation was performed on reboot)
    And I hate to do this, but one more random question... in the status screen besides seeing loads of HMO related options, I see a line that says "Icebox Files: (No iceboxes)". That's kind of cryptic...

Anyone want to lend a hand with this?

Thanks,

C

Let's see, you're letting your system contact TiVo. You're running the wrong software for your hardware. It's rebooting for a software installation.

Words fail me.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Let's see, you're letting your system contact TiVo. You're running the wrong software for your hardware. It's rebooting for a software installation.

Words fail me.

PlainBill

Sorry, thought I was in the Newbie forum.

The "wrong software" bit does really puzzle me, as it's the same software version it was running before I hacked it.

Quote Originally Posted by monttivo
    Sorry, thought I was in the Newbie forum.

The "wrong software" bit does really puzzle me, as it's the same software version it was running before I hacked it.
    However, the HDVR2 uses software version 6.2-01-2-151, and TiVo sees the discrepancy.

THEY ARE TRYING TO FORCE A SOFTWARE UPGRADE TO YOUR SYSTEM!!!

So either prevent the system from contacting TiVo, or 'upgrade' to the correct version. Doing both would be the best solution.

Now, the EASY solution would be to simply remove 'upgradesoftware=false' from the boot parameters.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    So either prevent the system from contacting TiVo, or 'upgrade' to the correct version. Doing both would be the best solution.
    I'm having a very similar problem to this post, except I'm running 101 instead of 151. When I did this all the info I could find said that 101 was correct for HDVR2, and now my dtivo is trying to upgrade to 151.

Stranger yet is that even with upgradesoftware=false something processed and now all my hacks besides bash are gone.

So really I have nothing to loose by doing the upgrade as I all ready have to rehack. So as soon as I have a chance to I will.

But, my question is how do I "prevent the system from contacting TiVo" to prevent this sort of thing in the future. I've searched all over and all I can find are things like fakecall and fixsub and posts saying they don't work for 6.2. So what does work, and where do I get it?

Fakecall works fine with 6.2. Were your hacks located in /var? If so, this probably has nothing to do with a software upgrade. The Tivo will wipe /var if either (A) it gets rather full or (B) it fails e2fsck. You should either wipe your logs in /var from time to time or put your hacks elsewhere. (Mine are all located in /hacks, with symlinks to a couple of directories/files in /var for anything that needs to be writeable.)
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Ultimately, the best solution is to run the proper version for your system. If you're clever you should be able to 'upgrade' from 101 to 151 and rehack without pulling the drive. By the way, I'm not sure where you heard 101 was correct for the HDVR2. A quick glance at the service number would show that is incorrect.

PlainBill

Well, mine is all working again. I did manage to do it all without pulling the drive, including getting tivoftpd back on the drive (wget), until I rebooted. Then I realized I forgot to rename netfilter-enable.

Now that I have the correct 151 version and have run superpatch to enable mrv , how do I block it from contacting tivo?

Unplug the phone line.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

HA HA . Thats been done for a long time. But it's detects and calls over the ethernet doesn't it? That is one of the "official" uses isn't it?

Not for a DTivo...but if you're concerned about it, you can put some route statements into the Tivo to re-route mothership calls to your loopback address. Something like:
    Code:
    route add -host 204.176.49.2 gw 127.0.0.1
    route add -net 204.176.49.0 gw 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
    --
    Christopher D. Heer