Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for Tivo backup images

Source for Tivo backup images

Check out this link if you're looking for a backup image for your Tivo. Send the guy a PM and he'll give you temporary access to his FTP site so you can download an image. Please don't abuse this as it hurts everyone if you do.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

You would post this the day before I go on a long weekend with no internet access.

I should have updated this a long time ago...

I haven't had access to that FTP server for a very long time. It is no longer available. I've been pointing people to DVRUpgrade.com and their InstantCake product for recovery images.

There is an FTP site floating around.
    Hang it in #tivo on efnet for a while and I'm sure you will find it.

scratch that, did some reading and figured it out

BTW - I bought an instancake from DVRupgrade and extracted the image thinking it would be clean/virgin, restored it, and it was quite modified with all the DVRUpgrade stuff. Was I wrong in thinking I would get a clean image from them or do you think I did something wrong extrating the image from the ISO?
    Last edited by jwciv; 01-31-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: figured it out
    Two DSR7000s both at 6.4a/101 from slices; both originally sleepered version 3, then 4.01b, 6.2, 6.2a.
    TWP 2.1, Superpatched, 300GB Seagate in one, 750GB in the other, USB 2 w/ Jamie's backport drivers
    One HR10-250 at 6.4a, networked, Superpatched, stock 250GB drive
    One HR23
    Patiently waiting for a new DirecTV/Tivo
    One AM21 hooked to the HR23

How was it modified?

I bought an instant cake image. I didn't use their installer though. I just extracted the image file from it and restored it to a new drive with with MFSLive's disk. I didn't look through the restored drive though. As far as I know its a stock image, but NOT a current one. It was of 7.2 I believe. Once I had the tivo running, it promptly downloaded the latest OS.
    Jon

The InstantCake images should all be unmodified stock images. Are you sure you weren't looking at a PTVNet installation image?
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by jhatfield View Post
    How was it modified?

I bought an instant cake image. I didn't use their installer though. I just extracted the image file from it and restored it to a new drive with with MFSLive's disk. I didn't look through the restored drive though. As far as I know its a stock image, but NOT a current one. It was of 7.2 I believe. Once I had the tivo running, it promptly downloaded the latest OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    The InstantCake images should all be unmodified stock images. Are you sure you weren't looking at a PTVNet installation image?
    I extracted the image (000001.) from an Instantcake download (6.3d) and used mfstools to put it on a blank drive. It has PTVupgrade customized boot screens for starters; in addition, after the first boot it automatically reboots on it's own once. There was an already customized rc.sysinit.author that had calls to non-stock directories and a flag for running certain actions on the 1st boot.

I have since upgraded via slices to 6.4a, not sure if there is a way for me to mount the alternate partitions while it is in the Tivo to give you further information.

I posted a question as to whether or not the embedded image was stock on the DVR upgrade forums a month ago...my question has gone unanswered there.
    Two DSR7000s both at 6.4a/101 from slices; both originally sleepered version 3, then 4.01b, 6.2, 6.2a.
    TWP 2.1, Superpatched, 300GB Seagate in one, 750GB in the other, USB 2 w/ Jamie's backport drivers
    One HR23

Quote Originally Posted by jwciv View Post
    I extracted the image (000001.) from an Instantcake download (6.3d) and used mfstools to put it on a blank drive. It has PTVupgrade customized boot screens for starters;
    Oh damn. What was the ISO name?

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    Oh damn. What was the ISO name?
    instantcake-hr10-250-6.3d.iso
    One HR23

Can someone provie me with a stock HR10-250 6.4a image? Or should I stick with 6.3c or 6.3d?

Quote Originally Posted by jwciv View Post
    instantcake-hr10-250-6.3d.iso
    I swore I responded to this thread...
    Either way you are right. I had a hell of a farking time reverting an instantcake image back to nearly stock. I would probably rather building my drive from scratch rather than use IC again.

At least units that require a prom mod are guaranteed not to have all this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    I swore I responded to this thread...
    Either way you are right. I had a hell of a farking time reverting an instantcake image back to nearly stock. I would probably rather building my drive from scratch rather than use IC again.

At least units that require a prom mod are guaranteed not to have all this stuff.
    once I did my slice upgrade to 6.4a I was obviously left with a nice and clean install on the alternate partition...then hacked away.
    One HR23

Message deleted by poster
    Last edited by Pontihog; 08-06-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: error

help

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    Check out this link if you're looking for a backup image for your Tivo. Send the guy a PM and he'll give you temporary access to his FTP site so you can download an image. Please don't abuse this as it hurts everyone if you do.
    A few days ago my tivo started restarting- after the intro video it restarts again.

I believe it is a failed hard drive.

I want to replace the drive. I can buy a 1TB or 2TB from WD or Hitachi cheap ($60)

Does it matter what drive or size I get?

Also, I have torx set- but I lack the image file.

Where can I get a download to install the tivo software onto my new drive before installing it? I want to swap the bad drive with a new larger one.

HELP!

(can I get a program like instantcake free anywhere?)