Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for Tivo backup images

Quote Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
    A few days ago my tivo started restarting- after the intro video it restarts again.

I believe it is a failed hard drive.

I want to replace the drive. I can buy a 1TB or 2TB from WD or Hitachi cheap ($60)

Does it matter what drive or size I get?

Also, I have torx set- but I lack the image file.

Where can I get a download to install the tivo software onto my new drive before installing it? I want to swap the bad drive with a new larger one.

HELP!

(can I get a program like instantcake free anywhere?)
    It depends on which TiVo you have. Because of addressing, earlier TiVos require the kernel and root partitions lie in the first 137 Gig of the drive. I seem to recall that TiVos had a 1 Gig limit on drive size, but that can be my faulty memory.

I'd suggest asking in the image begging thread in the newbie subforum, and specify the model you are using.

Instantcake is commercial software, sold by a site sponsor.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    It depends on which TiVo you have. Because of addressing, earlier TiVos require the kernel and root partitions lie in the first 137 Gig of the drive. I seem to recall that TiVos had a 1 Gig limit on drive size, but that can be my faulty memory.

I'd suggest asking in the image begging thread in the newbie subforum, and specify the model you are using.

Instantcake is commercial software, sold by a site sponsor.

PlainBill
    Thanks!

So to confirm you saying I should purchase a 1TB drive and not larger? (I actually have a spare 750gig WD right now I could use also)
    -with either of these options I should be all set as far as the drive is concerned, and both should represent a nice upgrade from what was stock.

The image begging thread- I am not sure exactly what your talking about. I will go look. If someone has a link it might be helpful.

And basically for the software- my options are hope someone has the image file and get it- or purchase instantcake from the sponsor at $40 ??

Am I correct?

The program (or one that accomplishes the same thing) you can get from mfslive.org The TiVo image you'd have to find somewhere else.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    The program (or one that accomplishes the same thing) you can get from mfslive.org The TiVo image you'd have to find somewhere else.
    The image is what I really need.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    It depends on which TiVo you have.
    PlainBill
    I have a HD TIVO

2160 HD

I have a HD TIVO

2160 HD
    That may mean some of the limitations no longer apply. Also, it means the availability of an image would be better if you used the full model number of the TiVo!!! Using the search function also helps.

The image begging thread is here. It is the first thread in this subforum.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

TCD652160 is the full number.

It is the TIVO HD. (not premiere)

I need the same image

TCD652160 is the full number.

It is the TIVO HD. (not premiere)

I also have a tcd652160, and after spending a couple of days running through the kickstart codes (much to the annoyance of my spouse), and cycling through the powering up! and Just a few minutes more! I get only a black screen. Not good.

So if you found the image, or can point me to the venue to search or beg (I'm a little hazy as to how to do this) I would appreicate the information. My Tivo is unmodified except for the addition of the standard 1gb exteral WD drive. One thing I'm about to do is to run the WD diagnostics on the Tivo drive; at this point I have nothing to lose. And it just seems silly to buy software or a harddrive setup when Tivo is begging me to take a Premier with a warranty and support for a little more. On the other hand, if I could just re-image the 160gb drive, or better yet get a new one and re-image that, I would be happy. I've pretty much resigned myself to losing saved data; I usually watch Netflicks, the drive is full of sitcoms downloaded by my teenage daughter. She will be better off to lose them.

Thanks,
    Bob Hill

For the life of me, and after much googling, I can't get access to mfslive.org. Nor an image file for my 652160, acquired perfectly legally, modified only with the approved 1tb external drive. I guess I'll just have to person-up and face the faceless Tivo phone tree. Where I am sure my call is important! But where they are coping with unexpectedly high call volume. Just guessing. I'd almost rather learn linux and how to unsolder my eprom, but my spouse sees things differently.