Thread: HDVR2 Questions

HDVR2 Questions

I have replaced the hd in my hr10-250 and got it working with networking etc.

I have a HDVR2 and would like to replace the hard drive in it with a 250gb. Do I need a hacked kernel for that? How close is the hacking scenario for the HDVR2 to the hr10-250?

Help!

Shortkidd

Depends on the SW version, but if you let the HDVR2 upgrade to 6.2, you'll have native LBA48 support and can upgrade to a 250gb HD without a hacked kernel.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

I just checked my software version and noticed it is 3.1. I have had this Tivo for a year or so now...what do I have to do to get it to update to 6.2?

Shortkidd

Assuming it's unhacked, make a Daily Call. It should download 6.2 and perform the upgrade the next day at 2:00 a.m. (will reboot). Then mfsbackup/restore your original drive (with newly-upgraded 6.2) onto your 250Gb drive. You'll have to boot with a PTVUpgrade 4.01 CD (or InstantCake, for that matter) so you can expand the new drive to the full 250Gb capacity. The pTVUpgrade 4.01 CD is only $5.00

L8r

Well the plot thickens......I plugged in the HDVR2 and made it complete the daily call. Now it just hangs indefinately on the negotiating phase. I am assuming the modem has gone bad on this thing since I have had it a few years and am calling DTV now to see about getting it replaced.

BTW...I have the PTV cd already cause I hacked my hr10-250 so it's multi use! woohoo!

ARGH! Hope they can send me the same model.

Quote Originally Posted by shortkidd
    Well the plot thickens......I plugged in the HDVR2 and made it complete the daily call. Now it just hangs indefinately on the negotiating phase. I am assuming the modem has gone bad on this thing since I have had it a few years and am calling DTV now to see about getting it replaced.

BTW...I have the PTV cd already cause I hacked my hr10-250 so it's multi use! woohoo!

ARGH! Hope they can send me the same model.
    Yeah, they wont. It's almost guaranteed at this point that any replacement from DTV will either be an r10 or the new non-tivo r15.

I'd cancel my tech support request and just ebay a new unit if I were you.

Besides, updates are downloaded via satellite, not phone, for DTivos.

Well I just got replacement unit which is a DVR40....wow overnight isnt so bad even saturday delivery....I havent plugged it in yet but I think this will be hackable

Ok....let the new directivo upgrade to 6.2 overnight and put in the new 250gb hd...ran into a internal error 3 with teh mfsrestore and tried a different hard drive and it just worked....will chalk that up wierd i guess.

Everything is working fine now...will play with the hack stuff later....do i just use the 6.2 kernel from the ptv cd? Also, do I need to install the killinitrd?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shortkidd
    Ok....let the new directivo upgrade to 6.2 overnight and put in the new 250gb hd...ran into a internal error 3 with teh mfsrestore and tried a different hard drive and it just worked....will chalk that up wierd i guess.

Everything is working fine now...will play with the hack stuff later....do i just use the 6.2 kernel from the ptv cd? Also, do I need to install the killinitrd?

Thanks!
    This should get you started:
    To install the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd'ed kernel follow ONLY STEP 7 from this guide:
    http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/4xrid.html,
    but use the 3.1.5 kernel from /cdrom/s2_kernels/3.1.5/vmlinux.px.gz

If you plan to install hacks, I'd highly recommend doing some reading first
    in the 6.2 Support Thread at http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41347
    You'll need a couple of TCL scripts to configure the network because 6.2 doesn't have a network config menu
    L8R