Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here comes the R15

Here comes the R15

According to D*'s 3Q earnings call, the R15 (the first non-Tivo DVR from D*) ships Monday.

Other interesting notes was that the HR20 is expected in the first quarter, leasing will get a big push and become D*'s primary sales methodology, the need for phone lines will be eventually eliminated, and retention deals will be stingier.

Read more here.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

nevermind
    -
    Last edited by Fugg; 11-04-2005 at 12:00 PM.

Guess that just made a bigger market for old style Tivos.

D*recTV currnet Receivers will become obsolete by mid-2007

In the latest TV Technology Magazine for Proffesionals, D*recTV indicated that they will phase out all current MPEG2 Receivers, forcing all subscribers to get MPEG4 compatible receivers by mid-2007, for SD and HD broadcasts. Looks like they will offer one receiver per customer for free (with a $200 Mail in rebate and 2yr service contract). This sux

Quote Originally Posted by groupdelayed
    In the latest TV Technology Magazine for Proffesionals, D*recTV indicated that they will phase out all current MPEG2 Receivers, forcing all subscribers to get MPEG4 compatible receivers by mid-2007, for SD and HD broadcasts. Looks like they will offer one receiver per customer for free (with a $200 Mail in rebate and 2yr service contract). This sux
    Hopfully by then they can ship a working non-Tivo DVR. Otherwise they may be loosing some customers.
    5 Series 2 DTivos: upgraded to 120GB, 6.2, SuperPatched, tserver, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus, endpadplus, bufferhack, MRV, HMO
    1 HR10-250: upgraded to 400GB, tserver, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus, endpadplus, bufferhack
    2 R15s: Just playing
    2 R10's PROMs in house but not installed yet (sitting on the bench)
    JAVAHMO Server 2.4/EtiVo Server 1.0.1924.2

so far all I can say about it is, you know how a DTivo is a DVR 1st and a Sat receiver kinda second?
    The R15 is reverse.

Wow, that's a bit much to swallow for multiple-receiver households like mine. Is the R15 even MPEG4 compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonsJTD
    Wow, that's a bit much to swallow for multiple-receiver households like mine. Is the R15 even MPEG4 compatible?
    Nope, and to be perfectly honest I think this is a bunch of crap. I couldn't find the article at TV Technology's website, but either it's been misinterpreted or the D* representative is confused.

First, there's the simple question of capacity. Right now it's just the two new Spaceways doing MPEG4, and that's for the HD locals. In order to migrate everyone, they'd essentially have to launch enough sats to handle all the existing programming in an MPEG4 format. Then they'd have to spend the huge amounts of money it will take to replace the receivers out there.

By mid 2007? Hah. They'll be lucky to just be done with the HD locals by mid-2007.

No WAY will they migrate EVERYTHING to mpeg4 by mid-2007.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

And what about basic receivers?

Won't every non-DVR SD receiver in operation also need to be swapped out if they force a change to MPEG4?

If my assumption is correct, I don't think they'll be changing SD ever. Perhaps phase it out when HD reaches a high enough penetration (90% or better?), but that will take a long time still.

Quote Originally Posted by chrised
    Won't every non-DVR SD receiver in operation also need to be swapped out if they force a change to MPEG4?

If my assumption is correct, I don't think they'll be changing SD ever. Perhaps phase it out when HD reaches a high enough penetration (90% or better?), but that will take a long time still.
    Yep, EVERY RECEIVER would have to be swapped.

I suspect it may happen at some point, but not for a long, long time.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

Since DTV won't be supporting Tivos after 2007, would it be safe to assume that they may issue a new software update to replace the Tivo OS with an NDS variant being used with their own DVRs but tailored to the Tivo hardware? That would allow existing DTivo owners to keep their hardware and would absolve DTV from paying any royalties to Tivo, at least in theory. I don't even know if this is possible but since Tivo/Comcast announced that they'd be porting their software to the Motorola DVR platform it seems like a rational assumption.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

This is pure FUD.

BTW, I heard that directv is reading this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=skip

And adjusting the r15 accordingly. I think (not 100% certain) that somebody at D* has said that the lack of dual buffer issue is going to be fixed.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    Since DTV won't be supporting Tivos after 2007, would it be safe to assume that they may issue a new software update to replace the Tivo OS with an NDS variant being used with their own DVRs but tailored to the Tivo hardware? That would allow existing DTivo owners to keep their hardware and would absolve DTV from paying any royalties to Tivo, at least in theory. I don't even know if this is possible but since Tivo/Comcast announced that they'd be porting their software to the Motorola DVR platform it seems like a rational assumption.
    I can't see what that would buy them, and I have to believe it would cost a tremendous amount in terms of development etc. I don't think D* will be responsible for any licensing fees post 2007.

And in any case, I think D* would rather connvince people to "upgrade" to the DVR+ or the HMC.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

The biggest problem I see is the reason I found this site and went to the hacked tivo boxes in the first place..

NO WAY to backup your shows... and vcr doesn't cut it.. should be either able to backup the shows or the entire box like a computer..

I lost two hard drives and all my ppv and other shows in the past in one box and got really pissed and then found this site and hence now pull all the stuff I want to keep of the box and back them up to sdlt's

I know about the copywrite issue.. but why do people put up with inferior support like this... hard drives die.. they need to be backed up so you don't loose info...

Quote Originally Posted by lgkahn
    I know about the copywrite issue.. but why do people put up with inferior support like this... hard drives die.. they need to be backed up so you don't loose info...
    You sound as if we have a choice.

First, there are really no choices. If you're a D* subscriber, then you get what they've got, period. You can threaten to switch to Dish, but really, have you seen the Dish PVRs? Ick.

Second, there's the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Quite simply, it prohibits disabling encryption.

Third, DirecTV has no real reason to allow this sort of thing, and lots of reasons not to. DirecTV has to answer to the content providers, who will resist allowing this sort of thing. That may change, but along with it will come serious DRM.

Finally...I doubt the population of people clamoring for this is very large. The techie types like us love this crap, but the average consumer does not. All s/he wants is to record shows. Many love the R10...why? The increased recording capacity. So there isn't enough of *us* (even if you add in TivoToGo users or potential users) to make D* care.

And in any case...nothing says the R15 is unhackable, yet. Dish users have found ways (admittedly primitive) to back up recordings. I'm pretty sure Replay users did too. Even some of the Motorola STBs used by cablecos can be -- I was just reading about how to enable the firewire ports to dump to an external drive or PC.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer