Thread: 7.2.1 upgrade problem?

7.2.1 upgrade problem?

Hi

I've got an unsubbed stand alone series 2 (140060) that i use to play around with (test hacks, restore images, try to get pal working etc..)

The unit has previously upgraded from 4.0 to 7.2 without issue

It is now trying to get 7.2.1 (calls forced by me from menu)

when i try to upgrade from a clean unhacked 7.2 image to 7.2.1 it downloads ok but fails during loading data with a S02 error

when i try to upgrade from a clean unhacked 4.01b image (restored an old image) to 7.2.1 it downloads ok but fails during loading with a connection failed error

i've tried clear & delete all, clear season passes etc...etc... without success

Any ideas ?????

Cheers
    David

Quote Originally Posted by davidblack
    I've got an unsubbed stand alone series 2 (140060) that i use to play around with (test hacks, restore images, try to get pal working etc..)
    when i try to upgrade from a clean unhacked 4.01b image (restored an old image) to 7.2.1 it downloads ok but fails during loading with a connection failed error
    Any ideas ?????
    Is there any reason to believe an unsubbed unit is eligible to receive software updates?

Jamie

Nothing ,other than the fact it has in the past.....

Also i'd expect they would identify the unit before the download and simply not let the software download if that was the plan?

If it is no longer getting upgrades then that's fair enough - couldn't (and wouldn't) blame tivo for cutting off upgrades to unsubbed units

Cheers
    David

Quote Originally Posted by davidblack
    Also i'd expect they would identify the unit before the download and simply not let the software download if that was the plan?
    My first guess is that an unsubbed unit doesn't get the keys required to decode the encrypted slices. It might not check for that until after the slices are downloaded. If you really want to know why it's failing, have a look at the logs in /var/log.

Jamie nailed it.

As of 7.2.1, you need the SWE_STA-1 key set, which is not set in unsubbed units. Check your keyring, you'll find it's not there. Leads to a predictable Failed Loading @ 88% error when going from 4.01b -> 7.2.1.

Using an MFS backup of a suitable 7.2.1 system will force you to go through GS without a valid TCID, do a C&DE, then redo setup to get things working again.

D.