Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.2 Upgrade Problem

6.2 Upgrade Problem

Well my tivo originally had Sleepers iso on it. Then I upgraded to version 4.X. Well I have some questions about the upgrade guides to 6.2(Yes i have looked through just about every article on this site). What I don't understand is where you do this. It says it needs to be on a linux machine but I don't really get what is happening. What is happening when i run killhdinitrd and what is it doing it to.

chmod 755 killhdinitrd
    ./killhdinitrd vmlinux-3.1.5-hacked.px

Somehow while trying to upgrade I messed up my USB drivers on the tivo and can't get the usb dongle to light up. So should I take the drive out of the Tivo and re-due the 4.x upgrade? Since I have the 6.2 slices is there anyway I wipe the whole thing clean and do the upgrade from the computer?
    Thanks,
    David

BTW: There have been huge advances in tivo hacking since I last visited!

Quote Originally Posted by dsheli
    Well my tivo originally had Sleepers iso on it. Then I upgraded to version 4.X. Well I have some questions about the upgrade guides to 6.2(Yes i have looked through just about every article on this site). What I don't understand is where you do this. It says it needs to be on a linux machine but I don't really get what is happening. What is happening when i run killhdinitrd and what is it doing it to.

chmod 755 killhdinitrd
    ./killhdinitrd vmlinux-3.1.5-hacked.px

Somehow while trying to upgrade I messed up my USB drivers on the tivo and can't get the usb dongle to light up. So should I take the drive out of the Tivo and re-due the 4.x upgrade? Since I have the 6.2 slices is there anyway I wipe the whole thing clean and do the upgrade from the computer?
    Thanks,
    David

BTW: There have been huge advances in tivo hacking since I last visited!
    You're in luck! I just figured out why the lights on my USB network adaptor went out when I upgraded to 6.2. When you upgraded to 4.x did you install the USB2 drivers? If so that's the problem.

On my DTivo, I installed 4.0.1b and the USB2 drivers. I then upgraded to 6.2 and it hosed the USB. That's because the USB module I installed for 4.0.1b is compiled for the 2.4.18 kernel, and upgrading to 6.2 upgrades the kernel to 2.4.20, so the module will no longer load.

I pulled my drive and backed out the USB2 module for now. There's a thread floating around about backporting from 2.4.27 to 2.4.20. So unless theres a module specifically for 2.4.20 (which I havent found yet) I'm going to get 2.4.27 and use the provided patch to work for 2.4.20 and recompile and install.

Hope that helps.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can take something that is quite simple and make it look like a Rube Goldberg alarm clock.

If you are running 4.0.1x, all you have to do is download the 6.2 slices + dependencies from eMule,
    dbload them (the dependencies (loopset) file has been gzipped twice, it is necessary to extract it twice),
    edit installSw.itcl (adding name and removing reboot), run it,
    then rehack by putting a killhdinitrd 3.1.5 kernel in the new boot partition,
    adding a rc.sysinit.author (DO NOT load mdules or set the ip address),
    add AlphaWolfs binaries,
    and rename /etc/netfilter-enable.
    DON'T replace any USB drivers unless you're using an unsupported adapter.
    6.2 is by far the easiest software version to hack.

By the way, the COMPILED USB modules for all software versions are in this thread according to Jamie, and I believe him. I'd suggest using them ONLY after getting the stock drivers working, and only if you have a fetish for unnecessary speed, AND have a serial cable. For some reason, some people try to install the updated drivers improperly and loose their network connection.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    It never ceases to amaze me how some people can take something that is quite simple and make it look like a Rube Goldberg alarm clock.
    <SNIPPED>
    PlainBill
    BRILLIANT!

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    By the way, the COMPILED USB modules for all software versions are in this thread according to Jamie, and I believe him.
    Sorry I was just trying to help the guy. Thats the thread I mentioned earlier but hadn't downloaded the attachment to check it out yet. Didn't realize the binary for the 2.4.20 module was included in that thread.
    Last edited by thebarge; 11-17-2005 at 05:55 PM.

Well I got everything upgraded! So with Directivo HMO options you get MRV and what else? Is there any tivo 2 go or will I have to do extraction with mfs? If I add another hacked tivo to the network will is just show up on the now playing list? I have a couple boot up questions that I will have to post when I get home.
    Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dsheli
    Well I got everything upgraded! So with Directivo HMO options you get MRV and what else? Is there any tivo 2 go or will I have to do extraction with mfs? If I add another hacked tivo to the network will is just show up on the now playing list? I have a couple boot up questions that I will have to post when I get home.
    Thanks,
    David
    You can also add JavaHMO and EtiVo. Search on either and you can see where to get them and what they do.
    5 Series 2 DTivos: upgraded to 120GB, 6.2, SuperPatched, tserver, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus, endpadplus, bufferhack, MRV, HMO
    1 HR10-250: upgraded to 400GB, tserver, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus, endpadplus, bufferhack
    2 R15s: Just playing
    2 R10's PROMs in house but not installed yet (sitting on the bench)
    JAVAHMO Server 2.4/EtiVo Server 1.0.1924.2

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffpack
    You can also add JavaHMO and EtiVo. Search on either and you can see where to get them and what they do.
    Great that is just what i needed!

Now when trying to run mfs_ftp.tcl This is the error I get:
    bash-2.02# /var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# child process exited abnormally
    while executing
    "exec $info(path)/tzoffset.tcl 2>/dev/null"
    (procedure "get_tzoffset" line 10)
    invoked from within
    "get_tzoffset"
    (procedure "init_procs" line 7)
    invoked from within
    "init_procs"
    (file "/var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl" line 1534)

Any idea?
    Thanks,
    David

I had a problem like this. Not sure if it was mfs_ftp or tivowebplus. The solution involved creating a tzoffset.txt file. Have your tried searching on "get_tzoffset" and then refined your search within the thread to "child process exited" and "mfs_ftp"?

Anytime I get errors like this, my first attack is to search on the error message within quotes. Then I spend quite a bit of time searching through threads and reading.

9 times out of 10, someone else has already run into the problem you are running into and it has been solved.
    5 Series 2 DTivos: upgraded to 120GB, 6.2, SuperPatched, tserver, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus, endpadplus, bufferhack, MRV, HMO
    1 HR10-250: upgraded to 400GB, tserver, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus, endpadplus, bufferhack

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffpack
    I had a problem like this. Not sure if it was mfs_ftp or tivowebplus. The solution involved creating a tzoffset.txt file. Have your tried searching on "get_tzoffset" and then refined your search within the thread to "child process exited" and "mfs_ftp"?

Anytime I get errors like this, my first attack is to search on the error message within quotes. Then I spend quite a bit of time searching through threads and reading.

9 times out of 10, someone else has already run into the problem you are running into and it has been solved.
    Thanks I will certainly do that.
    Have a nice day,
    David

Well I figured out how to fix that problem. But after much searching I can't figure out this new error:
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# syntax error in expression "((0x - 4) / 256) + 1"
    while executing
    "expr ((0x$charb - 4) / 256) + 1"
    (procedure "mfs_stream_size" line 8)
    invoked from within
    "mfs_stream_size $part"
    ("foreach" body line 2)
    invoked from within
    "foreach part $info($fsid,parts) {
    if { [catch { mfs streamsize $part } p_s ] } { set psize [mfs_stream_size $part] } else { set psize [expr [lindex..."
    ("uplevel" body line 9)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
    set rec [db $db openid $fsid]
    foreach item "State Showing Part" { set info($fsid,$item) [ntrim [dbobj $rec get $item]] }
    fore..."
    (procedure "rec_info_from_db" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "rec_info_from_db $fsid"
    (procedure "update_rec_fsids" line 17)
    invoked from within
    "update_rec_fsids 1"
    (procedure "init_procs" line 11)
    invoked from within
    "init_procs"
    (file "./mfs_ftp.tcl" line 1534)

Could my upgrade have gone bad anywhere?
    David

I see that riekl, jasdjensen and sublimnl have asked that same question but in searching could not find where there was an answer posted.

I haven't seen this problem. My suggestion would be to make sure you have the current copy of mfs_ftp and reinstall it. Or, PM any of those three other folks and see how they solved their problem. Something must be amiss as this isn't a common problem.

Glad to see you searched before just posting a question. Did you see those posts in your searching?

I am going to try and start from scratch. Play around with some files then if that does not work I will send them a PM.
    David

dsheli-
    I ran into the exact same problems you had, both the "child process exited abnormally" and then the "syntax error in expression "((0x - 4) / 256) + 1"
    while executing
    "expr ((0x$charb - 4) / 256) + 1"......." error.. I have only found about 4 different threads that even mention this error and no fixes that I could find.