Thread: 2.5 image transfers?

2.5 image transfers?

I have seen several posts here and there stating that transfering 2.5 drive images between Tivos is impossible - this has been stated without any clear origin or evidence that I've been able to dig up, so I'm guessing it comes from somewhere else than this forum. At the same time, I've seen some 2.5 backup images on the FTP archives. What gives?

I'm just curious whether it will be at least theoretically possible to take a 2.5 Philips (or other DTivo) image and plop it on my DSR6k which currently has 2.0.0. I have 2.5 on my standalone Tivo (which I subscribe, pay for, and dial up with), but not on my DTivo experimental box - and for the obvious reasons, I can't just plug it in and let it dial up.

If this is a stupid question, just tell me to shut up.

This is entirely possible and there are those that have the knowledge and the tools to do it easilly. It's just that that group is so 'elite' that to provide such abilities to the masses is verbotten. So either you'll have to learn to code it youself (ie: re-direct extract-stream's output back into the mfs) or how to do some 'elite' butt-kissing...

-Surgeon-

ExtractStream? Heh? I don't want to take extracted streams and re-upload them to my Tivo (though that would be a cool hack, and I'm sure it's possible), I'm just talking about sharing full drive drive backup images of 2.5 between DTivo units (of the same model or different models). Did you misread my post or am I confused?

And I found some more hints at the link below that sort-of-partially-maybe answer my question. But still sort of unsubstantiated, though I'm almost ready to give it a try myself and restore from backup if I hose things. http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum6/HTML/008932.html

The 2.5 DTivo software marries to the unit serial number. If you place it on a different unit, you get an "error 51" - call service.

I've found that "Clear and Delete Everything" seems to remarry the image to the current DTivo.

There is also the Sony ICE25 image which was made at "pending restart" - after the software download, but before it's installed. Tried this, and it works - the image is *not* married.

Another issue is if you want to preserve your recordings. Your Now Playing list gets wiped if you restore a foreign image. That's probably where exactstream can help.

I've tried for several days to figure an upgrade procedure from 2.0.1 to 2.5 that preserves recordings - but doesn't dial in. None found. Best way is to delete logs, force some calls, and see if it upgrades on its own. Perhaps one of the elite know how??

Originally posted by chipster
    I've tried for several days to figure an upgrade procedure from 2.0.1 to 2.5 that preserves recordings - but doesn't dial in. None found. Best way is to delete logs, force some calls, and see if it upgrades on its own. Perhaps one of the elite know how??
    Just an idea but couldn't you restore the "in-process" ICE25 image to another drive, then 'dd' over all the non-mfs partitions and have it upgrade with your content intact?

-Surgeon-

Some good ideas here, thanks guys. I'm going to try to get my hands on a 2.5 image from somebody, either married or unmarried, since I don't have much recorded on my DTivo right now that I care about (I just set it up a few days ago, all my recorded stuff is on my old SA Tivo). With any luck, I'll be in 2.5 bliss sometime this weekend and I can see how cool dual tuner support is.

Or I'll see if I can find the IR remote codes that others are looking for, so I can patch a restored Sony ICE25 image to work on my DSR6k.

Surgeon:

Hope someone else can chime in here as well.. believe me, I easily spent 30 hours trying out different things.

Copied partitions 2-9 from an operational 2.5 to a 2.0.1. Had to change boot parameters to assure 2.5 boots.

The unit started booting, then went through a long database conversion process, then reboot. Stuck at "almost there" for a long time - then reboot - almost there - reboot. Tried a hacked prom/kernel - no difference. Kernel log has hundreds of entries can't find "resource.h". I see reference to resource.h in the kernel partition as well.

Copying the ICE image partitions at "pending restart" gets nowhere - it tries to "install new software" which was downloaded to the MFS, but I didn't restore the ICE MFS, so tivo reboots and stays at powering up.

If anyone wants to play, pay attention to boot parameters. My 2.0.1 booted part 3 kernel/part4 root, the 2.5 was on 6/7 - the ICE image appears to have been an upgrade from 2.0 to 2.5 - 2.0 is on partition 7, and after it runs, 2.5 is on part 4 (part 4 is blank after the restore). The Kazymyr CD includes the TivoMAD utility "edit_bootparms" which makes changing this easy.

Anyway -

I believe that a proper 2.5 *upgrade* (tivo download) places some more stuff in the MFS that it needs to run. This stuff gets backed up by MFSTool or a full drive dd - and restored as well. But just copying accessible partitions doesn't get this "stuff" into the MFS.

And, apparently, "Now Playing" is stored on the MFS - perhaps in the database. It get's backed up via MFSTool or a full dd. When restored to a different unit, you get Now Playing list that got stored on the backup, and an error if you try to play one. Your own recordings are still on the drive (in the case of an MFSTools restore ), but since they're not in Now Playing, you can't watch them. If you then restore your original image made just prior to messing with it, you get your Now Playing back - and can watch the recordings.

Chipster,

OK... A last resort... Assuming your unit can't call in 'cause it's past it's 7-day trial and non-subbed, then change the serial# on it to something else (you can get a new # off a box at the store) and emu'ed or not let it call in and upgrade itself... You can even change your serial # back while it's pending restart if you wanted... A little devious, but WTF... They play their games... we play ours...

-Surgeon-
    Last edited by surgeon; 11-09-2001 at 11:00 PM.

ass kissing

I'd like to ass kiss if you have extractstream working on a Dtivo. Everything I try to extract give me deadbeef deadbeef in the hex from the output.

Originally posted by surgeon
    This is entirely possible and there are those that have the knowledge and the tools to do it easilly. It's just that that group is so 'elite' that to provide such abilities to the masses is verbotten. So either you'll have to learn to code it youself (ie: re-direct extract-stream's output back into the mfs) or how to do some 'elite' butt-kissing...

-Surgeon-

The DEADBEEF thing is in the kernel. I ran across it when I was trying to figure out where the initrd starts. It is probably triggered by something specific in extractstream, so a slight rewrite would probably fix it.

On a similar note, DEADF00D appears in the prom, probably the new password. Anyone know how to get the prom to listen on ttyS3 again? I would love to be able to swap partitions easily again.

28 Re: ass kissing

Originally posted by GoneSilent
    I'd like to ass kiss if you have extractstream working on a Dtivo. Everything I try to extract give me deadbeef deadbeef in the hex from the output.
    I've never even tried ExtractStream -- to me it's only half a tool that most people would want... What I'd like to find is a ExtractFromMfs#1AndInsertIntoMfs#2Stream utility... Hell, for that I'd even do a little ass kissing myself...

-Surgeon-

The married portion should exist in the mfs, I have not yet verified it, but if you dd an installed 2.5 root over the installed 2.xx root all should be good. It should attempt a database conversion/marriage on the first boot. On the other hand, it might not work.

If you want tivo to talk to you and it doesn't like your tivo service number, set it to "" or set it all 0s and tivo will treat you as a new account until they change their servers. I have verified this..

Under 2.0.1 it's not married. During the 2.5 install, it marries - and probably adds a new database field or writes a file to MFS. Copying the 2.5 partitions definitely does not work - hacked prom/kernel or not (see above post). It ends up going into a long reboot loop, and the kernel log complains that it can't find "resource.h" - probably added to MFS during a proper upgrade, but not there under 2.0.1. I/we should study the kernel and boot files to see how it's checking the service number.

By the way and FWIW - to get the Showcases and Magazine, you also must make a call *after* 2.5 is up and running. Probably just once, as it downloads a bunch of bitmaps and other pages - ie - prepopulates these pages.

After that, it's supposed to be off the stream. If you just use a "pending restart" image to get 2.5 on and married to your box and hack it with no phone call, you'll always see the "3 days" message for Showcase/Magazine.

The next problem - to get the download - the box must be Tivo subbed. Of my two "open box" units, one was not subbed - the other had a lifetime - which I just found out . The subbed box took the download and stayed lifetime. The unsubbed box never would - and always came back sub level "0" - never set up.

Should you go this route - and if you are concerned about your CAM id - LEAVE YOUR CARD OUT DURING THE ENTIRE UPGRADE AND CALLING PROCESS - DON'T PUT IT IN UNTIL ALL MENUS LOOK GOOD. It *will* download to a Tivo subbed box without a CAM id attached to it.