Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dont laugh!!!

Angry Dont laugh!!!

I baught a tivo off of fleabay and thought I would hack it......so, I looked around and did some reading and found a little program called tivo sleeper 1.02. Of course being new at this I didnt know what I was doing when I started the program. Well , heres what I did I ran the sleeper 1.02 on my TCD24004A (TiVo) unit. I read alot of information on backing up the unit, well I went ahead and did a Full Monte,Back up and all. Somehow in the mix of swapping out my original tivo drive Secondary master with the copy Primary master the program would not auto restart when I rebooted the PC. So I set the Secondary the original Tivo back up to my PC as Secondary Master and rebooted and the script continued. After going through the whole tivo sleeper script. I put the so called copied drive back in the Tivo and the only thing the Tivo showing is "Welcome Powering Up..." I let it sit there for about 5 min. So I thought I would check my original drive. When I put it back into the tivo it says Welcome Powering Up, Shows the TIVO LOGO with "Almost there. Just a few more minutes.at the bottom of the screen then reboots. What can I do to fix this?????????????????

restore your backup so you tivo will work again. Then do some reading about killhdinitrd.

new hacking

I am new at this too, but i just started this thread last night to see if I know how to hack a box.

The information on killintrid came from the stickies.

I am pointing you here because I laid out a battle plan for hacking and am hoping all the battle tested vets here can tell me where it is wrong or that the plan is solid.... you may want to keep an eye on it for your second attempt (or if it turns out i was WAY off then you'll know what NOT to do)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyman
    restore your backup so you tivo will work again. Then do some reading about killhdinitrd.
    How do I restore the back up when the original drive is rebooting everytime I turn the Tivo on ?

by backing it up before you mess with it I suppose.

Talking

Well, if you had read the TivoScripts (AKA Sleeper's iso) support thread and followed the instructions, you would have made a backup image of your drive as the first step of the hacking process. That image goes on the fat32 drive in your computer. Mfstools will restore the image to your drive, see Hinsdale's How To.

By the way, the instructions are summarized on the cd. HOWEVER, you barged ahead, didn't follow the instructions and have trashed the TiVo drive. I know you asked us not to laugh, but....

If you want a REAL learning experience, start with the image begging thread.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Well, if you had read the TivoScripts (AKA Sleeper's iso) support thread and followed the instructions, you would have made a backup image of your drive as the first step of the hacking process. That image goes on the fat32 drive in your computer. Mfstools will restore the image to your drive, see Hinsdale's How To.

By the way, the instructions are summarized on the cd. HOWEVER, you barged ahead, didn't follow the instructions and have trashed the TiVo drive. I know you asked us not to laugh, but....

If you want a REAL learning experience, start with the image begging thread.

PlainBill
    Thanks for the advice but I did follow the back up instructions. When it did the full monte. I did not know it would garble the original drive.
    Last edited by eprom101; 11-29-2005 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eprom101
    Thanks for the advise but I did follow the back up instructions. When it did the full monte. I did not know it would garble the original drive.
    That's just it - it doesn't. This line
    Code:
    original tivo drive Secondary master with the copy Primary master
    shows you went wrong.

Just to rub it in, here's what the directions tell you to do:

You will use three drives: A data drive, formatted FAT32 is primary master; the original Tivo drive is secondary master for the backup phase, and the new drive is secondary master for the restore, surgery, and hack phases.

by the way - it's spelled advice.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    That's just it - it doesn't. This line
    Code:
    original tivo drive Secondary master with the copy Primary master
    shows you went wrong.

Just to rub it in, here's what the directions tell you to do:

You will use three drives: A data drive, formatted FAT32 is primary master; the original Tivo drive is secondary master for the backup phase, and the new drive is secondary master for the restore, surgery, and hack phases.

by the way - it's spelled advice.

PlainBill
    So did I comletely destroy the data on the original drive or can I recover the image and repair it ? Or do I need to find a new image to put on the drive what options am I looking at? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by eprom101; 11-29-2005 at 10:23 PM.

you're going to need a new image.

I have a backup

I have a backup I think it looks like that is the only thing I did right. I have a directory on my C: drive that reads....

(Folder) Tivo.........within the folder I have three files

2.4.20-Original.img
    IMG File
    4,096 KB

TivoBackup-11-29-05_05_00.mfs
    MFS File
    194,616 KB

variables
    File
    1KB

Is this the image that your talking about? How do I restore this to my drive. Thanks in advance.

Gunnyman

Thanks for the first reply to my question everyone else that replied to my question wasnt helping by adding there 2$. Anyway, Im real new at this but after learning some simple Linux commands I WAS ABLE TO GET MY TIVO BACK UP AND RINNING. I just did what you told me to do restore my image.It was easy but a little confusing at first considering I never used linux before and all the commands are greek to me. I know DOS inside and out but Im not using DOS.Anyway thanks again.

Burn your backup image to CD-R or something, just in case.
    Anyway, you probably want to stay away from Sleeper since it is long deprecated, and doesn't teach you anything about the tivo or hacking it.

It's much better just to learn to hack the thing manually, then when something borks you have a lot better chance fixing it.

(And this is for anyone else who happens along) If you can't find a good image for your tivo box, check the PTVupgrade website and buy the Instant Cake CD for your type of TiVo (and also recommended the $5 PTV LBA48 boot CD with tools). It won't hack your machine for you, but it'll get your tivo box back up and running.

Thanks for the tip Im in the process of learning the commands and what the tivo drive has on it. I sould have read alot more before I started I thought Tivo would be fairly easy to hack but wrong again. Im just really happy I made that backup. Im sure I will be needing some help in the near future. Im going to stay away from hacking the darn thing for now and just learn a little. I cant even apply the kilhdinitrd because Im lost on the commands.

Made the mistake of running Sleeper but recovered.

Well I finally managed to restore my Tivo replace my kernel with 3.1.1c and run killhdinitrd, everything worked fine installing the kernel and running Killhdinitrd. I may be missing some steps when I place my drive back into the Tivo it wont boot. It just reboots over and over Can one of the pros give me an answer on what I mite be doing wrong?

TCD24004A (TiVo)

Replace hda6 Kernel with 3.11c
    ran killhdinitrd

Tried to boot Tivo