Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dont laugh!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!! This is the funniest post I have seen here in months. In less than a week you have managed to screw up your TiVo TWICE!!!

Newbie1347 gave you some good advice last week. It's too bad you haven't followed it. I don't know what other mistakes you have made, but you used the wrong killhdinitrd kernel.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

LOL !! I guess whoever post 2.4.20 would work with 3.11c was wrong. I read that on this forum. Thx! DUH I guess Ill use the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd. I know its pretty funny But, do you remeber learning linux? Well thx for the prompt reply.
    Last edited by eprom101; 12-06-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eprom101
    LOL !! I guess whoever post 2.4.20 would work with 3.11c was wrong. I read that on this forum. Thx! DUH I guess Ill use the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd. I know its pretty funny But, do you remeber learning linux? Well thx for the prompt reply.
    Gotta feel sorry for the newbies when PlainBill gives up....

3.1.5 Tivo software uses the Linux 2.4.20 kernel. Therefore, you are planning to repeat the same mistake again. Have fun...

What version software is your image? 7.x?

If that is the case, you need the 2.4.20 kernel, but you need to make another change to prevent the reboot loop.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=78

Yes, I remember learning Linux (well, enough to hack a TiVo). The thought running through my mind was "Why is this so complicated?" After a few days it was "Why is DOS so brain-dead? Oh! Bill Gates!!!".

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

It makes more since to me now after a few days. I'm glad that I used the sleeper iso, It taught me a lesson the hard way. I needed to learn a little bit of Linux anyway, and....Well I like it. The 3.15 kernel works great thx for the hint. Now I have to figure out the rest of what I need to do to get this thing working. I got bored of my other hobby and turned to this "Tivo" as a new one and it is pretty fun but frustrating the same.This is what ive done.

Tivo Pri. Master
    Hard drive with files Sec. Master
    Cd rom sec. Slave

mkdir /cdrive
    mount /dev/hdc1 /cdrive
    cd /cdrive
    dd if=vmlinux.px of= /dev/hda6
    dd if=vmlinux.px of= /dev/hda3
    killhdinitrd /dev/hda6
    killhdinitrd /dev/hda3
    bootpage -P "root= /dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda

Is this correct so far ?????

Another question. Now that Ive leaned a little and tested my tivo boot. I am going to wipe the drive and restore it back to factory software connect my USB ethernet and let it auto update. Then run the hacks on it. Is this the way I need to go?
    Last edited by eprom101; 12-06-2005 at 01:54 PM.

It makes more since to me now after a few days. I'm glad that I used the sleeper iso, It taught me a lesson the hard way. I needed to learn a little bit of Linux anyway, and....Well I like it. The 3.15 kernel works great thx for the hint. Now I have to figure out the rest of what I need to do to get this thing working. I got bored of my other hobby and turned to this "Tivo" as a new one and it is pretty fun but frustrating the same.This is what ive done.

Tivo Pri. Master
    Hard drive with files Sec. Master
    Cd rom sec. Slave

mkdir /cdrive
    mount /dev/hdc1 /cdrive
    cd /cdrive
    dd if=vmlinux.px of= /dev/hda6
    dd if=vmlinux.px of= /dev/hda3
    killhdinitrd /dev/hda6
    killhdinitrd /dev/hda3
    bootpage -P "root= /dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda

Is this correct so far ?????
    No.

For historical reasons (some boot CDs need this change) you should switch your TiVo drive and your FAT drive. Primary master is sometimes an issue for the TiVo drives because of byteswapping. OTOH, if you don't have any problems you can keep doing what you're doing.

The bootpage executable for x86 platform needs a '-C' switch to tell it where to write the new parameters:
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/hda

If you got the kernels from the PTV CD, they have already had killhdinitrd applied. In that case you'll get an error.

At some point you should read the bootpage before blindly setting it root to /dev/hda4:
    bootpage -p /dev/hda

And also check the current and alternate boot partitions:
    bootpage -b /dev/hda will tell you the current boot partition (3 or 6--if 4 or 7 subtract 1)
    bootpage -a /dev/hda will tell you the alternate boot partition

ew

I dont understand this totally lost????????????

The tivo has never been used it boots up with zip code.

I dd the 3.15 kernel
    I apply killhdinitrd

Boot the tivo and it works fine. comes back up with zip code entry.

But, when I update to
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hdc6 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/hdc

The freaking tivo reboots in a loop.
    What am I doing wrong????

I dont understand this totally lost????????????

But, when I update to
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hdc6 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/hdc

The freaking tivo reboots in a loop.
    What am I doing wrong????
    For starters, "root=/dev/hdc6" does NOT exist on the Tivo. Your drive is hooked up as hda inside the tivo

Quote Originally Posted by dewalt
    For starters, "root=/dev/hdc6" does NOT exist on the Tivo. Your drive is hooked up as hda inside the tivo
    Also, the root will be either 4 or 7; the boot (kernel) is either 3 or 6. One last point - Linux is extremely picky about syntax, spelling, and case. This is minor, but there is no 3.15 kernel. It's 3.1.5.

PlainBill

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally I found a type "O" in my editing I now have.

Software version: 7.2.0-oth-01-2-140
    replaced Kernel with 3.1.5
    killhdinitrd both 3 & 6
    updated boot params "bootpage"
    mv iptables
    echo -e '#!/bin/bash\nexit 0' > iptables
    Tivo booting up great!!!!!

Now I have another question I have a linksys usb 100m ethernet adapter.
    Cant connect via ftp but I can connect telnet. I copied a rc.sysinitrd.author and put it on the tivo drive.
    I can ping it all day long but no FTP only telnet???????Can some one help me PLEASE????

#!/bin/bash

#start telnetd
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &

#serial bash
    /bin/bash < /dev/ttyS2 >& /dev/ttyS2 &

export PATH=$PATH:/hack

echo Turn off firewall ... >& /dev/console
    [ -x /etc/netfilter-disable ] && /etc/netfilter-disable

#start ftpd
    /mnt/tvhack/tivoftpd.mips

I made it executable
    chmod +x rc.sysinit.author

Then I made a .profile as follows

export PATH=/tivo-bin/:$PATH":"/mnt/tvhack/bin/:/var/mfs_ftp:/mnt/tvhack:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/tvhack/hacks/lib/":"$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export HOME=/mnt/tvhack/hacks/root
    Last edited by eprom101; 12-09-2005 at 03:46 AM.

I'm guessing this is your problem:

#start ftpd

I'm gonna bet that with the drive back inside your tivo there is no /mnt/tivohack directory, and that was leftover from when you had it in the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321
    I'm guessing this is your problem:

#start ftpd

I'm gonna bet that with the drive back inside your tivo there is no /mnt/tivohack directory, and that was leftover from when you had it in the PC.
    Im sorry I changed my set up and still no FTP? rc.sysinit.author its as follows. When I type the IP into IE ftp:// I get cannot access folder error but It pings the hell out of the usb ethernet adapter Im just boggled???

#!/bin/bash

#start telnetd
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &

#serial bash
    /bin/bash < /dev/ttyS2 >& /dev/ttyS2 &

export PATH=$PATH:/hack

echo Turn off firewall ... >& /dev/console
    [ -x /etc/netfilter-disable ] && /etc/netfilter-disable

#start ftpd
    /hack/tivoftpd.mips

I made it executable
    chmod +x rc.sysinit.author

Then I made a .profile as follows

export PATH=/tivo-bin/:$PATH":"/hack/bin/:/hack/mfs_ftp:/hack:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/hack/lib/":"$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export HOME=/hack/root

What have I missed ????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Last edited by eprom101; 12-09-2005 at 05:15 AM.

isn't tivoftpd.mips depracated now?
    I use the tivoftpd included in AIO toolset.

Agreed, why not use the tivoftpd in AlphaWolf's All-In-One utilities (tivotools) collection.

Anyway, what happens when you telnet in and simply type
    /hack/tivoftpd.mips

at the command line?

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321
    Agreed, why not use the tivoftpd in AlphaWolf's All-In-One utilities (tivotools) collection.

Anyway, what happens when you telnet in and simply type
    /hack/tivoftpd.mips

at the command line?
    No such file or directory