Thread: My Tivo reboots when I try to watch live TV - $10 by PayPal for an answer!

My Tivo reboots when I try to watch live TV - $10 by PayPal for an answer!

Howdy - I've been searching support boards like this for a couple days for an answer. I've figured out that this is probably an FAQ, because people who pose the question seem to get blown off a lot... but I just can't find an answer and I'm running out of time, so I'm offering $10 (via Paypal, or I'll mail a money order if necessary) for a straight answer -

I have recently been given a Sony SVR-2000, and I wanted to use it as a digital recorder (among other reasons, it's nowhere near a landline). I located and installed an image of the v1.3 software, and the Tivo booted up fine afterwards. But when I try to use it to view live TV now, or to select which video source to use, it spontaneously reboots. (all other menu functions seem to behave normally)

I don't know how I could have bungled the software installation and yet the Tivo still boots up - so I figure I've probably overlooked a step or something. If someone would kindly let me know, I'd appreciate it - we're about 3 days away from being out of town for several weeks and my wife has almost 30 hours of TV she wants recorded over that span, so I'm under the gun here...

Thanks!

What you have is a Series-1 (powerPC) standalone tivo unit.

Are you sure that's the correct software version for the Sony unit?

I know there's a difference because once upon a time I owned one of those, and there are some very sony-specific items on it (one of the most annoying being only able to IR control only Sony VCRs, where standard tivo has no such limitation).

You're probably better off if you can get a version 2 or 3 software running on the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321
    Are you sure that's the correct software version for the Sony unit?
    I'm sure that a prominent, helpful guy from another forum provided me with this after I explained in detail what I had... and, it boots up! That's what I find confusing - I'm a Tivo newbie but no computer newbie, and I just can't figure out what could be wrong that wouldn't stop it from booting!

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321
    You're probably better off if you can get a version 2 or 3 software running on the thing.
    I'm told that only v1.3 and before will allow manual recording without signing up for the Tivo service. Our Tivo is nowhere near a landline now and after our upcoming move we won't even HAVE a landline, plus we just don't need the guide or any 'suggestions' - we only ever watch about 3 shows. Pausing live TV would be enough, in fact, if it wasn't for this upcoming trip...

Thanks for your reply but I'm about out of time to solve this and have dug up some T-240 (12-hr VHS tapes) and a spare VCR in hopes of covering most of our schedule... but if I get an answer to my problem in time to set up my Tivo before we leave town Friday, the reward is still in effect!

OK folks, I'm heading outta town and won't be reading this forum for the next month, so I don't want anyone to waste time posting to this thread. Will have to try again to solve this when I get back...

Quote Originally Posted by bscott
    I'm told that only v1.3 and before will allow manual recording without signing up for the Tivo service.
    Not true. The rule of thumb is units that shipped with ver. 1.3 software can be used for unsubbed manual recordings and that usually means the Philips units. They can be allowed to update to the ver. 3.xx software and they will still allow the recordings.

However, the SONYs, which you have, are the exceptions as I understand it. I recall seeing posts that those units cannot be used for unsubbed manual recordings. Not here, but in the "Underground" forum at the TiVo Community Forums.