Thread: all in one s2 utils question

Pardon me, since I'm new to this... I'm very experience with linux, just not with Tivo... I've managed to upgrade my hard drive just fine on a series 2 (not directivo) but everytime I do anything at all to rc.sysinit on /dev/hda4 or /dev/hda7 (whichever one seems to be the primary) the tivo will sit there for a second at "Welcome" and then reboot itself. At that point, it will apparently switch /dev/hda4 for /dev/hda7 or vice verse (for example, when I pull the drive out and put it in my pc and boot with mfs tools, I can mount /dev/hda4... after it goes through the reboot process in the tivo, I cant mount /dev/hda4 but I can now mount /dev/hda7 which I couldnt before)....

What am I doing wrong?

Last time I changed rc.sysinit, all I did was add this:
    export PATH=$PATH:.

that shouldnt be enough to kill it I wouldnt think...
    any help would be appreciated.. I'd love to get tivoftpd or mfs_ftp or something running.

Quote Originally Posted by godzirra
    Pardon me, since I'm new to this... I'm very experience with linux, just not with Tivo... I've managed to upgrade my hard drive just fine on a series 2 (not directivo) but everytime I do anything at all to rc.sysinit on /dev/hda4 or /dev/hda7 (whichever one seems to be the primary) the tivo will sit there for a second at "Welcome" and then reboot itself. At that point, it will apparently switch /dev/hda4 for /dev/hda7 or vice verse (for example, when I pull the drive out and put it in my pc and boot with mfs tools, I can mount /dev/hda4... after it goes through the reboot process in the tivo, I cant mount /dev/hda4 but I can now mount /dev/hda7 which I couldnt before)....

What am I doing wrong?

Last time I changed rc.sysinit, all I did was add this:
    export PATH=$PATH:.

that shouldnt be enough to kill it I wouldnt think...
    any help would be appreciated.. I'd love to get tivoftpd or mfs_ftp or something running.
    This is off topic and should be in Newbie TiVo, but......
    Check this explanation.

ew
    Last edited by eastwind; 12-05-2005 at 02:15 AM.

Thanks. I did look in all the faqs I could find and apparently just missed that.... Can anyone point me to a thread explaining where/how to find out what your kernel is and how to mod it with killhdinitrd?

Thanks!

If you're logging into the tivo unit itself, you could try a simple

uname -a

and see what result you get. Some modified kernels don't have much description, but it may tell you something. If you go to your tivo's setup menu there should me an INFO menu item (it changes around in various software revisions) which tells you what system software your tivo is running Mine standalone Tivo has 4.0.1b (with kernel 2.4.18), many others are now using 7.1 or 7.2, and most DirecTivo units are on 6.2.

As for killhdinitrd, it usually pays to simply download the one kernel you need for your system software, and apply killhdinitrd to it at that point. Note that killhdinitrd is an x86 binary and requires pulling the tivo drive and putting it back in your PC.