Thread: 2 series2 tivo's, boot problems

2 series2 tivo's, boot problems

They are Hughes

HDvr2
    SD dvr40

Both at first booted to the settings but after it checked the LNB/s and what sats came in they would start to download info but only get to 60% and stop.

A newbie to tivo i messed with them. new more about UTV.

But now after playn with the HD's they both only get to powering up screen an never to the almost there.

If I read some posts properly. I need a new image on the drives to boot up???

The UTV's you could put a new drive in and it would d/l what ever info it needed to finish and bootup.

Are theses tivo's different??

please help a newbie to tivo

Thanks

DDF

Thanks, I needed a good laugh. Not much humor here since Eprom101 left.

Congratulations on screwing up two systems. By the way, slow progress after reaching 60% is normal. Unless you got an error message you could have simply waited.

I suggest you go to PTVupgrade's web site (see the bottom of this page for a link) and buy the Instantcake images for your DirecTiVos. They claim their images are foolproof, let us know how they work.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Tiz the season to need to laugh more.
    Glad to help ya.

Both sat over night running and waiting to finish the d/l but stayed at 60%. thats why i removed the drives and placed them in my puter and that is also where I "I'll say it, I SCREWED UP"

As reading your post I do need a new image on the drive.

OK

I read about networking with the tivo.
    what image is needed for that?? If anyone has it could they PM me??

Thanks
    Hope to make others laugh more for the xmas season.

DDF

Well, I have some REALLY bad news for you. I was wrong. First of all, if you waited overnight, you gave it plenty of time. It's possible the satellite settings were wrong, but IIRC, it should have errored out and taken you to the setup menu. (Just possibly you would have to hit the DirecTV button on the remote to get to the setup menu).

Second, did you boot from a Linux cd and make changes in the drives, or did you boot from Win 2K or Win XP? If it was the former, I don't think there is any way to recover without an image unless you remember EXACTLY what you did. If you booted to Windows, there is a utility called 'maketivobootable' that will fix it.

You will have to hack your systems for networking. PTVupgrade sells a tool to do it, but this REALLY leaves you out on a limb with no real understanding of the steps involved.

Lots of reading is in order. Start with Captain Video's TiVo Hacking 101, then go on to Cheer's roadmap, then when you're really swamped ask questions in the newbie forum.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I tryed different settings. single LNB, dual LNB and trip LNB.
    one of them got it to 70% but stoped and never errored out either.

I used win xp

even tryed the blesstivo from a floppy, said could not find blesstivo.

After tryn to bless it. I blessed it with a low level format with maxblaster. LOL
    Thinking it would look for the phoneline to d/l software like the UTV's did.
    So I blessed it GOOD. lol
    Thanks

DDF

Well, that kinda limits your options. Either PTVupgrade's InstantCake at about $20, or check the image begging thread to a 6.2 image on the eD2K network.

PlainBill