Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: TyTool 10r1 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output/Closed Captioning...

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer
    You mean you have about $26 Billion in the bank?
    Shhhhh... Not so loud. Everyone will want some now. hehehe.

Actually I was thinking of the just release it as is and see what happens mentality and then ignore all bug reports and just do whatever you want in the next release.

Oh wait... did I say that out loud?

--jdiner

the cisco VPN needs space for it's own overhead which is why the MTU is getting set to a smaller value (1426 should be small enough, but 1300 is an absolutly safe value, it allows multiple layers of tunnels)

if you go into /etc/rc.d and find the ifconfig statement that configures your IP address (in rc.arch on my box) and add mtu 1300 to the end of the line it should set the tivo to match your system

remember that the linux kernel on the tivo is a 2.1 kernel (very old). I've had other problems with pmtu on newer linux kernels.

Network speed

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Yes, I expect if you set the tivo mtu to 1300 too your performance would improve
    It shouldn't. Something else has to be going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    I would have thought the linux kernel would do path mtu discovery to choose an appropriate end-to-end mtu
    First of all, it appears it is. There is no packet fragmentation, and all the packets are 1260 bytes. Even if it weren't, however, it shouldn't make a difference. The packets are not encapsulated, and they are not being forwarded by anything at layer 3. Of course, if the TiVo sent a 1500 byte packet to the PC and the PC was forwarding packets elsewhere, it would fragment the packet, because its own MTU is 1300, but that shouldn't make a difference when the packet is already at its destination.

Besides, even if every packet were 1500 and even if every packet were fragmented, it still shouldn't slow down the process by 75%. At worst it should drop the performance by 10% or 20%, if that. I mean, crimeny, we wouldn't be doubling, let alone quadrupling, the number of bytes on the wire, the packet overhead (54 bytes) just isn't that high. After all, it manages 1.3MBps just fine with a 576 byte MTU (single socket mode). The additional processing time isn't anything like that high, either. It's a 2.8G processor, and we're only talking about roughly 1600 packets per second, or 3200 if it were fragmented. The PC could easily forward 10 times that. As a matter of fact, it does so quite readily. I can transfer a file from via SMB from another machine through this one and back out to the file server at over 170Mbps, or 13,000pps, and that's AFTER fully decoding the packets, passing them to SMB, packaging them back up, and sending them back out.

The nail in the coffin's head, however, is that I can do an FTP and still get around 2 MBps with the MTU set to 1300. The kernel and pmtu can't be the issue, especially since all the IP packets - whether FTP or tserver Double Socket mode - are properly limited to 1300 bytes.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Billions and Billions

Quote Originally Posted by jdiner
    Actually I was thinking of the just release it as is and see what happens mentality
    Yeah, but that mentality has a lot to do with having a few $Billion in the bank, and vice-versa.

Mtu

Otherwise in single socket mode it was the modem MTU of 500 something. 541 or something odd like that.
    576, looks like. The Ethernet packets are 590 bytes. That doesn't mean pmtu isn't working, however. On an inbound connection, pmtu is set by the receiving device (the TiVo, in this case). On an outbound connection (double socket mode has the TiVo initiate the connection), the host queries the path (in this case the target PC) for the MTU.

Cisco VPN

Wow. Great piece of software there.
    Rather typical Cisco, actually.

Do you have to use it all the time? Is it one that can be turned off when not needed?
    It is always turned off except when needed. Otherwise the PC could not communicate with anything on any interface anywhere except the VPN server over the internet connection. It shuts off all communications on all interfaces except the internet interface and only allows one in bound UDP port to be open on that interface. Everything else is shut down tight.

Turning off the VPN client is not the issue. It's the fact the client will not initialize (when needed) if any network interface has an MTU of 1500. Setting the MTU requires rebooting the computer. I can't really afford to have to reboot the computer every time I need to fire up the VPN. A 1300 byte MTU should not really be that big a problem, though. If everything else is working properly, the additional overhead should only amount to a few percent decrease in throughput, not 75%.

VPN Woes

Quote Originally Posted by dlang
    the cisco VPN needs space
    Yes, I know, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dlang
    if you go into /etc/rc.d and find the ifconfig statement
    I'll give it a shot, but I'm very skeptical. In the first place, pmtu seems to be working. All the Ethernet packets are 1314 bytes max. Secondly, as I just mentioned, ftp works fine. If this were a layer 3 issue at all, I should be having the same problem with all protocols layer 3 and above.

I had these problems last year and posted about them when I installed a Cisco VPN client on my systems (for work purposes). I used the client Set MTU software supplied to reset my LAN adapter back to default and that sorted the extraction speed without causing problems using the VPN client.

HTH
    Mike

Check the "Closed Captioning..." menu of PowerDVD. It is the right-click popup on the main display window. I have to turn it on there to get it to show up in PowerDVD. But it does work for me in everything from Version4 up the my latest which is version 6 something...

--jdiner
    I had the same experience as logic_88: captions show up on my standalone player, but in PowerDVD, the Closed Captions menu item was greyed out. But then I found that I could use IfoEdit to set the "CC for Line 21-1" bit, and then PowerDVD will happily display the captions.

Thanks jdiner for getting CC to work! My wife refuses to watch anything without captions (english is not her first language), and so she has been unimpressed by the results of TyTool so far. I've got a huge backlog of shows just waiting for this day.

Well it is exectuable so that is good. Make sure it went up in binary mode.

Telnet in manually and try running it.

Put the "S2-TiVo#" in the prompt section.

Watch the little window that pops up to see what is really being received.

Go to the FAQ and read the section on troubleshooting just this problem.

The default path in the config file is /var/hack/1 which is where I put it. If you don't have a 1 in your path but it is in the string you are going to have problems.

--jdiner
    I can manually start the Tserver from telnet. I have tried all the different server strings and I know the server prompt string is correct because that's what telnet is showing. Any other ideas
    Thanks
    This is what I get when I go in through telnet-

S2-TiVo# cd /var/hack
    S2-TiVo# ./tserver_mfs7
    bash: ./tserver_mfs7: No such file or directory
    S2-TiVo# ./tserver
    Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...
    Waiting for an incoming connection!
    SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'SHOWING'
    invalid attribute: TimeZone
    while executing
    "dbobj $setup get TimeZone"
    ("uplevel" body line 5)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
    set setup [db $db open /Setup]

# set defrecquality [dbobj $setup get RecordQuality]
    set setuptz [dbobj $setup ..."
    (procedure "init_db" line 45)
    invoked from within
    "init_db"
    (file "./NowShowing.tcl" line 480)
    Waiting for an incoming connection!
    Last edited by TivoBlues; 12-18-2005 at 01:09 PM.
    Sony T-60 - 3.1.0
    Philips DSR7000 - 6.2

What streams from what tivos and what OS versions are you getting the LII errors from?

I have recorded, downloaded and processed 100+ episodes of "30 minute meals" and never seen it once. You basically never should. It might be mis-diagnosing things but that isn't right. Check the first few lines of the processing call output. Did it detect the right version of the tivo? Etc...

That isn't good. In all of my test streams and streams sent to me by others there have been 3 of them. Just 3.

--jdiner
    I've got the Samsung SIR-S4120R. Software version 6.2-01-2-381.

=== output
    Code:
    Detected Tivo Type: Series2
    Detected Audio Stream Type: Dolby Digital 5.1
    Final standardAudioSize = 1552
    Final standardFrameLength = 1536
    Final standardAudioDiff = 2880 or 00:00:00.032
    First Video PTS: 00:03:06.378

New LII audio bug Detected... Correction in progress...

[redacted...continues for many many lines]

New LII audio bug Detected... Correction in progress...

DiffTime = 438.734021 (438734) == 7.312234 Minutes

total = 1233256448 (1176 MB)

Done with 'G:\12-17-05-Mad Dog Time--2.ty'...
    If you want me to record a couple sample streams and put them online, I can do that.
    Last edited by falcomadol; 12-18-2005 at 01:49 PM.

http://tystreamsample.subbuteoclub.com/samplestream.7z

Ok, just pulled a short stream down from Showtime2. It displays the issue described above and is a standard stream (no HDTivo here). I also included the log file from my "VOB-mux (new format)" operation.

There is also something else strange about the output VOB file. When it is played back in PowerDVD, it skips a lot of frames. This is probably related to whatever "fixes" are being applied to the "LII audio bug".

576, looks like. The Ethernet packets are 590 bytes. That doesn't mean pmtu isn't working, however. On an inbound connection, pmtu is set by the receiving device (the TiVo, in this case). On an outbound connection (double socket mode has the TiVo initiate the connection), the host queries the path (in this case the target PC) for the MTU.
    576 sounds about right.

But on the rest... Ummm. Yeah what is exactly what I said.

Going double socket puts the burden of the process on the client PC. Going the other way with the tivo acting as the server side of the same process the MTU is never increased beyond the norm for a modem based process.

Now whether that was intentional or accidental on the part of TIVO I can't speak to. All I can tell you is what was saw. Regardless of how it should work in a proper setup that is what it is doing currently.

--jdiner

A 1300 byte MTU should not really be that big a problem, though. If everything else is working properly, the additional overhead should only amount to a few percent decrease in throughput, not 75%.
    You are giving the protocol stack in use way way to much credit. Drive it just a lit bit too hard and it will lock up the tivo completely. Drive it a little less hard and you just get a reboot. Run too many network programs and you get various issues.

I do not disagree with you one bit. It should work the way you want it too. But you seem to be operating under the false impression that it actually will or can be made too do so. There were those here, run a search for the threads, that tried and tried and tried to get it to work properly with no sucess. Given the custom/modified kernel in use, the nature of the problem, etc...

Hence the creation of the double socket mode for the S1 tivos. It short-circuited a number of the problems/limitations. But it is also something of a house of cards on the S1's to be completely honest. Get it all setup right and you get much faster speeds. Get something wrong or even just different and the 0.6meg seems to be a very common speed to drop to.

I know you want a fix/solution/magic cure but one hasn't been found yet. If you should find one then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share your solution. It should carrry over at least in part to a solution when using certain wireless controllers etc...

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by skmeier
    I had the same experience as logic_88: captions show up on my standalone player, but in PowerDVD, the Closed Captions menu item was greyed out. But then I found that I could use IfoEdit to set the "CC for Line 21-1" bit, and then PowerDVD will happily display the captions.

Thanks jdiner for getting CC to work! My wife refuses to watch anything without captions (english is not her first language), and so she has been unimpressed by the results of TyTool so far. I've got a huge backlog of shows just waiting for this day.
    Humm. That bit should be being turned on by the call to DVDAuthor. Might be another something that got lost on me in the most recent crash. I will look into it.

For those that don't want to wait you can use the tool the same way skmeier and I have done to manually turn it on. Isn't hard to do.

--jdiner