Thread: Cell Phone Adapter

Cell Phone Adapter

Is there a device out there that will allow someone to plug their Cell Phone into the phone port of a S1 Tivo and make a daily call?

B

Depends on the cell phone

Generally, most cell phones have "data" cables that can be used to connect up to a PC either through a serial port or through USB. So I think it would be possible to use a serial port cable to connect a cell phone to the second serial input of the Tivo. This could theoretically be re-routed (either through dev links or some other means) to the original modem port. Of course, I've never done it so good luck!
    -- S8C
    P.S. Check with your carrier for "data" minutes and air time charges, since it could be as much as $.50 to $1.00 per minute.

So, the "modem" on an S1 tivo is not a standard modem??

B

Quote Originally Posted by boboli
    Is there a device out there that will allow someone to plug their Cell Phone into the phone port of a S1 Tivo and make a daily call?

B
    I've seen them back in the day. Let you hook up a Motorola Flip phone to anything that needed to dial out. Even supplied a dial tone. Course all this was before digital cell phones. The long and short of it is, it depends on your phone.

ew

You may have a problem. The S1 Tivo can only run through guided setup using the modem. AFAIK, it will not do it through a serial/PPP or Ethernet/IP connection.

This means that you need something that not only provides dial tone service like an analog line but it must also provide enough analog bandwidth to send a full modem carrier signal. The problem is that most digital services like modern digital cell phones and Internet VOIP services, compress the audio and chop out the sounds that are out of range of human hearing, making modems useless. I run into this problem with my VOIP provider. if I need to re-run guided setup I have to go to a relative's house. So far, I haven't had to do it since switching to VOIP.

Does anyone know of a way to re-run guided setup using the Ethernet card?

BTW: I think the latest versions of S2 Tivo OS will use a USB ethernet adapter to re-run GS.
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'

Quote Originally Posted by cojonesdetoro
    Does anyone know of a way to re-run guided setup using the Ethernet card?

BTW: I think the latest versions of S2 Tivo OS will use a USB ethernet adapter to re-run GS.
    If you've got a working ethernet link in the series-1 tivo already, you can try running guided setup with a phone number of ,#401