Thread: tivo-to-go transfer speed using Netgear G router and super G router

tivo-to-go transfer speed using Netgear G router and super G router

Hi All:

I tried to use tivo-to-go to transfer moveis from TIVO (SA2, model TCD24004A, software 7.1) to my PC. I have two netgear routers WGT-614 (802.11g, 54 Mbps) and WGT-624 (802.11g, super G 108 Mbps). Both routers are using the latest firmwares. I know that 108Mbps router performs better than my 54Mbps router based on the test using two pcs (54Mbps wireless adapter one one side and 108Mbps wireless adapter on the other side). Regarding the performance, 108Mbps router made the transfer at the speed of 0.8-0.9 MB per second and the 54Mbps router made the transfer at the speed of 0.4-0.5 MB per second.

My wireless USB adapter on TIVO is D-link DWL-122, which is a 802.11b adapter. Signal strength shown from TIVO is 85% (excellent). I assume that at least the same transfer speed could be obtained using both routers. The following is the actual results:

(1) When my PC was wire-connected to the router. The transfer speed was about 0.4 MB per second using 54Mbps router (WGT-614) and 0.2MB per second using 108Mbps router (WGT-624). I tried two different computers (a laptop and a desktop) and got the same results: 54Mbps router is about one time faster than 108Mbps router when working with TIVO.

(2) When my PC was connected to the router wirelessly (my laptop uses an imbedded Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG 802.11g 54G adapter and my desktop uses a D-link 108G PCI wireless card). The transfer speed could only get 1/3 speed of the wired conditions. 54Mbps router still performed better (one time faster) than the 108Mbps router.

Anyone has any experience with these two routers? It doesn't make sense at all to get lower tranfer speed using a better router. At least, they should provide equivalent performance.

Thanks,
    Hairfly
    Last edited by hairfly; 01-02-2006 at 07:50 AM.

108Mbps doesn't necessarily make it a "better" router, just a better spec for marketing. I own a Linksys WRT54GS (SpeedBooster), but not for extra speed - mainly for the extra RAM for alternate linux flash images.

My understanding of 108Mbps devices is that they use multiple channels to push data. Any interference on any of those channels results in a lot of packet re-transmits.

You can drive a race car at the redline, but it will take you a lot longer to cross the finish if you keep needing to replace blown engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321

You can drive a race car at the redline, but it will take you a lot longer to cross the finish if you keep needing to replace blown engines.
    Well, if you're going to deal in automobile analogies, I prefer "You are driving a new Porsche Boxster; I am driving a 65 VW Beetle. We are in gridlock on I-5. Who is going faster?"

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 01-02-2006 at 11:39 PM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.